Vita 2 / PS4 Go?

• Thread starter Deleted member 13524
  • Start date
13OrPFF.jpg

What do you think guys? :)

I'm thinking "What's the point of your post? Do you have anything worthy to contribute to the discussion?".

i just want to share maybe this was some clue what next portable console graphics processor which can be a rival to the Nintendo Switch because Sony have a good relation with Imagination PowerVR Graphics in PS Vita chip. Significant interest in licensing and Expect Deployment in product within 2-3 years(Presented 15 December 2015) makes me pretty sure.

Im pretty sure if/when ray tracing comes to games for real, it wont be handhelds first.

Reason it is not used now is that it takes a lot more computing Power than traditional methods to use ray tracing in games.

Handhelds are low power = not the first choise.

And sony do not have to "compete" against switch, different markets + switch sells badly(at least in my country at Northern europe = it sells really slowly, I know local game shop owner and he sells 1-2/month, seems like that in most stores as there are always full shelf of switches)

So if sony comes back to handhelds, i bet it will be normal mobile chip with normal rendering methods.

Because sony can give what nintendont = games for adults and kids 1st and 3rd party, not just mario in 10 different forms.

Im pretty sure if/when ray tracing comes to games for real, it wont be handhelds first.

Reason it is not used now is that it takes a lot more computing Power than traditional methods to use ray tracing in games.
The linked hardware is a raytracing processor, specifically to avoid the problem for raytracing being costly. And it's included in a mobile processor.

And sony do not have to "compete" against switch, different markets + switch sells badly.
That's quite frankly ridiculous reasoning, to base an opinion on the world market from what you can see out your own window. We have real hard numbers showing Switch is selling well. eg. Outsold PS4 at NPD this month.

Yeah. You'd have very bespoke software with zero portability to other platforms. How would Sony convince devs to make proprietary engines to sell on a new handheld where the previous one never sold and mobile is so entrenched? Seems that's the biggest reason ImageTec's idea hasn't gotten anywhere in 2 years. And never will unless Apple include it.

Last edited:
the new MAX Q nvidia geforce laptop initiative reduces a gtx 1080 enabled laptop into 18 mm thin laptop size with around 5 lbs of weight . can't sony or microsoft try to make portable versions of their consoles even if they are more expensive than $299?

building a apu with base ps4 like performance should be much cheaper than a gtx 1080 . a laptop gtx 1080 is rated at 90-100 watt compared to a ps4 slim apu is much lower . now if nvidia can do that sort of slim formfactor for a high performance part ., how can sony not do the same even if that becomes a premium product. premium as in not pc premium but premium respect to base ps4 price.

https://imagination-technologies-cl...tions/interim16/IMG-half-year-report-2016.pdf
cited from page 3 PowerVR section paragraphs 7.
"The collaboration announced with OTOY is further testimony of the potential of accelerated ray tracing to disrupt the GPU market. The Group’s ray tracing technology is under evaluation by tier1 players in the gaming market and Imagination is continuing to develop its ecosystem with notable games publishers and middleware/engine providers."

who's tier1 players in the gaming market?

some evidence Imagination is continuing to develop its ecosystem with notable games publishers and middleware/engine providers can be found from this link.

https://www.imgtec.com/blog/tag/ray-tracing/

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah but IMG and others always say that, "oh everybody want our stuff !" when in reality, nobody ever use it... I remember the GT7900 "hype"...

Not even sure if it's feasible any time soon but PS4 power in a portable with instant on.

And battery life expectations have been lowered a lot since the PSP so it would only need to get about the same battery life as the Switch.

Don't do optical drive, put in microSD slot (maybe by now Sony has given up on proprietary media formats).

These days, might be viable to put in 16 GB of storage, which should be enough for one or two games?

Full PS4 compatibility. IOW, no separate game formats, download your PS4 game in digital form but maybe patched for the particular screen.

Hmm, maybe an optional optical drive to install your PS4 games onto this portable.

Offer an optional dock to connect to the big screen. Maybe with PS4 Pro performance in docked mode.

OK starting to sound expensive but how about $349 or $399 for base bundle with 16 or 32 GB of storage, 2-3 hour battery life, with microSD or SD card slot, 7-8 inch 1080p display, integrated or detachable controllers mimicking DS4 layout?

They can charge $75 for BD-ROM for installing PS4 disc games, maybe $149-199 for the dock for PS4 Pro performance?

I think this has way better sales prospects than continuing to bet on VR.

I really do not get this wish for a portable :)

How many of you actually spent much time with the Vita? Or carry around the Switch?

Just curious

How many of you actually spent much time with the Vita? Or carry around the Switch?

A lot. For anybody who travels or is away from home a lot, a portable console is hugely appealing. If I had to chose between PS4 and Switch, say for financial reasons, there would be no contest.

Yeah, I used to use my Vita quite a lot. I still do so here and there, but it's a bit long in the tooth now.

PS4 quality performance coupled with a 7-10" 1080p screen would be lovely.

Just curious

Portable around the home is fantastic. It's the main use case for a portable device as far as I'm concerned.

Just curious

Portable around the home is fantastic. It's the main use case for a portable device as far as I'm concerned.

I have my Switch right underneath my iMac right now as I type this.

I like waking it from sleep and looking for a quick online game if one is available. I have not booted up my PS4 in over a year I would say.

I've taken it to a cafe a couple of times but most of the time I'm using it around the home. Because I can take it from room to room, I think it would have a lot more use than a traditional console.

One of the critical design decisions that Sony made with the PSP was to prevent it from being connected to the TV -- though maybe later on, they released a PSP TV or something that could be hooked up?. And one of the big decisions Nintendo made with the Switch was to connect it to the TV. If this handheld device is capable of PS4 or PS4 Pro performance, it would be very useful to be able to dock it for full performance.

Back