Scorpio E3 messaging

Status
Not open for further replies.
these are the sort of issues they will have to deal with.
that's why i think they should spend about 2min on each of the things i mentioned, say their zooming in so every one in the venue can see. :LOL:
say that over the next few days their going to go into more details. Every day release a 10-15min high quality vid going into more details of why it's premium and the true 4k, etc.

that way also remain in the news cycle during most of E3.
on the Sunday release vid about X360 and current X1 games, next day about true 4k, next day about OS features.

MS isn't good with messaging, so keep it simple, then targeted focused vids to keep message cleaner and simple.

If you're majoring your console on 4K two words which undermine that are dynamic resolution. Risky.
I'm not trolling or trying to go off topic, but isn't this pretty close to what Sony did with the Pro reveal? I mean they clearly said the Pro targeted 4k displays and used clever techniques like checker boarding and dynamic res to bridge the gap.

I don't really see the big issue with how they present the Scorpio. I mean it runs Xbox one/360 games with improvements as well as new and patched games at 4k.

Last edited:
I'm not trolling or trying to go off topic, but isn't this pretty close to what Sony did with the Pro reveal? I mean they clearly said the Pro targeted 4k displays and used clever techniques like checker boarding and dynamic res to bridge the gap.

I don't really see the big issue with how they present the Scorpio. I mean it runs Xbox one/360 games with improvements as well as new and patched games at 4k.
At the reveal Cerny explained that Pro can enable 4K gaming, but it can be difficult with brute force, and clever techniques can help achieve a near 4K experience IIRC (or something along those lines). And on the product page, they advertise it as "Dyanmic 4K gaming" while Scorpio is being advertised as "True 4K gaming".

Last edited:
I'm not trolling or trying to go off topic, but isn't this pretty close to what Sony did with the Pro reveal?
MS attacked Sony's position by talking about true 4K and uncompressed pixels. If they'd kept their mouths shut, they wouldn't have to worry about backlash. As is, if games aren't 4K native (and wasting resources at that) the SDF will have a field day.

That as may be, but when they can quote a MS Tweet and point to a clearly contrary reality without having to project their RDF onto others, it puts MS in a broad bad PR position (their favourite PR position, it seems :p). If reality matched MS's PR, the SDF would be left using easily overlooked la-la-logic without the risk of major gaming press repeating the problems.

And putting console-wars to one side, DF et al are going to be interviewing MS and asking them to correlate early statements about 4K with sub-4K games should that happen.

Last edited:
I think whatever pricepoint scorpio is coming out with sets tone and expectation for messaging. If Scorpio is same price as ps4 pro it's an super easy sell. On the other hand if there is ~150$+ price difference it gets a lot more difficult to justify scorpio if it runs exact same games but marginally better graphics. There of course is the hardcore audience with 4k sets but if past is any indication the mass market still is at 199$(or cheaper). Price and content is bigger concern than absolute fidelity for the masses.

I think whatever pricepoint scorpio is coming out with sets tone and expectation for messaging. If Scorpio is same price as ps4 pro it's an super easy sell. On the other hand if there is ~150$+ price difference it gets a lot more difficult to justify scorpio if it runs exact same games but marginally better graphics. There of course is the hardcore audience with 4k sets but if past is any indication the mass market still is at 199$(or cheaper). Price and content is bigger concern than absolute fidelity for the masses.
it being an easier sell doesn't mean the messaging will be different. Can you give example what you mean, how would you change message based on price?

it still has same features and game fidelity, so they have to sell it based on that regardless of price in my view. The only difference will be the value perceived by people.
maybe if the PlayStation brand wasn't so strong and doing so well then maybe ms could've gone with different message.

it being an easier sell doesn't mean the messaging will be different. Can you give example what you mean, how would you change message based on price?

it still has same features and game fidelity, so they have to sell it based on that regardless of price in my view. The only difference will be the value perceived by people.
maybe if the PlayStation brand wasn't so strong and doing so well then maybe ms could've gone with different message.

If it's same price as ps4pro ms can flash specs and say better 4k, same price. This is in terms people understand as its possible to simplify to few numbers(clockspeed, memory, compute unit count, uhd). Internet will take care of rest as every game review will state version x of game is best. If scorpio is significantly more expensive MS has to really detail and drive the point home what is the value on getting the more expensive console. Still casuals might not notice the difference or they might find more value in the cheaper device that still plays the same games.

If it's same price as ps4pro ms can flash specs and say better 4k, same price. This is in terms people understand as its possible to simplify to few numbers(clockspeed, memory, compute unit count, uhd). Internet will take care of rest as every game review will state version x of game is best. If scorpio is significantly more expensive MS has to really detail and drive the point home what is the value on getting the more expensive console. Still casuals might not notice the difference or they might find more value in the cheaper device that still plays the same games.
i think that sony's dominance forces them to go with same message regardless.
if it costs the same, they will have to communicate why it's worth getting the same as if it's $100 more, as people probably will still just go for Sony product otherwise.

leaving it up to the internet just won't work and last thing i would do, with the mind share Sony has, plus their marketing.
i just can't see how they would change message, the only thing i can see changing is the perceived value.
If messaging is right, it should work for both price points, it's premium device either way.

edit: Guess your view is more it costs, more detail they have to go into to justify it.
i think they have to go into same level of detail regardless

Last edited:
i think that sony's dominance forces them to go with same message regardless.
if it costs the same, they will have to communicate why it's worth getting the same as if it's $100 more, as people probably will still just go for Sony product otherwise.

leaving it up to the internet just won't work and last thing i would do, with the mind share Sony has, plus their marketing.
i just can't see how they would change message, the only thing i can see changing is the perceived value.
If messaging is right, it should work for both price points, it's premium device either way.

edit: Guess your view is more it costs, more detail they have to go into to justify it.
i think they have to go into same level of detail regardless
@manux is describing the reality of diminishing returns with resolution. You're paying significantly more for marginally better graphics is not an ideal situation for most, so the price performance winner becomes the PS4Pro in this scenario. All in all, he's right, if there's virtually no difference between the 2 (which personally I don't believe, lets face it checker boarding is not implemented on the OS side of things so the consistency of CBR implementation from title to title is not going to be the same), then you're going to go with the cheaper hardware with the library you want. Makes sense to me at least.

Fortunately for Scorpio we have not been seeing a massive library of 4K CBR games on 4Pro, most seem to get to 1800CBR and upscale the rest of the way to 2160p. There are some opportunities yet for MS to stretch that differential with 4K assets included, provided they are smart with the games they choose.

@manux is describing the reality of diminishing returns with resolution. You're paying significantly more for marginally better graphics is not an ideal situation for most, so the price performance winner becomes the PS4Pro in this scenario. All in all, he's right, if there's virtually no difference between the 2 (which personally I don't believe, lets face it checker boarding is not implemented on the OS side of things so the consistency of CBR implementation from title to title is not going to be the same), then you're going to go with the cheaper hardware with the library you want. Makes sense to me at least.

Fortunately for Scorpio we have not been seeing a massive library of 4K CBR games on 4Pro, most seem to get to 1800CBR and upscale the rest of the way to 2160p. There are some opportunities yet for MS to stretch that differential with 4K assets included, provided they are smart with the games they choose.
i understand that, but that is value, not level of detail your going to go into with your message though.

how would you cut back your message at one price point compared to another? Due to the position their in, they have to go all out regardless. going all out doesn't mean more detail.
however they describe the benefits of Scorpio will be the same, their not in the position to be able to say, let's not mention about something because we're selling it cheap.

if the graphics are marginally better, it doesn't matter if it's same price or $100 more. Who is going to buy it apart from the hardcore Xbox gamers?

if graphics are lot better, then at same price or $100 more still have to convince non Xbox gamers to invest in it. convincing gets harder the more expensive it gets, but i don't see how you can change message, message will be the same. Remember that showing games and new ip, is just as much of a reason to buy X1S.
therefore what makes Scorpio special, that's the message.

basically my view is someone who's going to spend $400 is going to need pretty much the same message as person spending $500 at this point.
the rest is, is the value right for person.

that's why they have to sell the whole product, not just resolution. x360, x1, os features, frame rate, streaming, VR, lock of master chief hair inside each console

What will make or break Scorpio is the price.

If the rumours are to be believed about the components it is going to use, Microsoft must charge a rather large amount to really make a profit.

The fanboys will have a field day anyways because they will imagine some perceived slight and run with it regardless of what the truth is. They tend to have their own reality distortion field.

ftfy :smile:

As for the price I expect $449, $399 is too low for what it is, $499 is too high. $449 is just about right imo.

most probably pro is going to 299 on peak offers, and probably in the next year plain ps4 will be dismissed (with the arrival of the pro slim)... and pro price will be the same as todays slim

So if you think $449 is the proper price for Scorpio as $399 is too low, do you also think that 4Pro can not drop to $349?
more or less my biggest question when it comes to Scorpio pricing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back