Microsoft XBOX (XBox One X / Project Scorpio) - Prerelease News and Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beam has been rebranded as mixer and announced they will be streaming the Xbox event in 4k

https://blog.mixer.com/welcome/?ocid=Evergreen_soc_omc_xbo_tw_video_lrn_5.25.1
This is the official webpage:
https://mixer.com/

People seem to be happy with the app, and even Phil Spencer is thinking about bringing Mixer to the PS4.
Rayyan @SUPERSONICW0LF
I remember speaking to @xboxp3 one time & he said he's open to having mixer (beam) on other platforms including PlayStation.

Phil Spencer
@XboxP3
@SUPERSONICW0LF Yep.

https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/867820866788368384

Please, B3D staff, add twitter support to B3D, copying and pasting the text here is painful, not to mention when there are images involved.

Mixed feelings with Mixer after using it all day yesterday on X1. For the most part streams load quickly, are good quality and resolution and have some impressive features (co-op streaming is very nice).

It's not all great on X1 as there are bugs that need to be sorted such as pretty bad lag when chat is spamming emotes and sometimes unresponsive chat functions. I had a few instances when all I got was green screen on some streams and where the app went to unresponsive during the Mixer-works fireworks event.

Overall, it looks like MS is pushing Mixer hard with T-shirts at MS stores and the events all day long yesterday.

Not my idea, Al was talking about performance on non patched games, but just occurred to me that failed Scorpio chips that don't make the CU count can still be reduced to be significantly more powerful than Xbox one S and PS4.

With no architecture difference, I wonder if They floated the possibility to release a second SKU under the Scorpio project name, a 3.0TF SKU for taking over 1080p.

Last edited:
Highly unlikely. Scorpio has a similar raw performance as a 980Ti. And the 980Ti struggles to stay above 60fps at 1440p in AAA games. 30fps/4K. That's way more feasible.

To be fair, it was a heavily qualified statement:

GamingBolt: We also asked him [Slightly Mad Studios’ Andy Tudor] if the Xbox Scorpio’s specs make it, theoretically, powerful enough to deliver 60fps at 4K for AAA games- especially since they are making one of the most graphically impressive games of the generation, so this would be a question he would be equipped to answer.

Surprisingly enough, he feels as though the Scorpio should, in principle, be powerful enough for this. “In principle, yes. In principle because we really don’t know until we get things up and running and see what it can do,” he said.​

To be fair, it was a heavily qualified statement:

GamingBolt: We also asked him [Slightly Mad Studios’ Andy Tudor] if the Xbox Scorpio’s specs make it, theoretically, powerful enough to deliver 60fps at 4K for AAA games- especially since they are making one of the most graphically impressive games of the generation, so this would be a question he would be equipped to answer.

Surprisingly enough, he feels as though the Scorpio should, in principle, be powerful enough for this. “In principle, yes. In principle because we really don’t know until we get things up and running and see what it can do,” he said.​

Should have read the article. My bad.

Highly unlikely. Scorpio has a similar raw performance as a 980Ti. And the 980Ti struggles to stay above 60fps at 1440p in AAA games.

30fps/4K. That's way more feasible.
Mathematically and almost certainly it can run some games already running at 1080p 60fps on Xbox One at 4K 60fps. For most modern game engines the burden on the cpu wouldn't be that much greater, and the gpu has over 4x the ALU and a massive increase in memory bandwidth. I'm sure a number of EA Sports games will run at 4K 60fps.

On an overclocked 1060 people are able to get the (crossgen multiport) GTA5 running at 4K 60fps on medium settings. Unless it is CPU constrained there is probably no reason to think Scorpio's even more powerful gpu and higher memory bandwidth would hold back the system from running at even higher settings also at 4K 60fps.
Not saying it will be very many games, but certainly a couple handful of games aren't being held back by the gpu portion of the system.

Last edited:
Highly unlikely. Scorpio has a similar raw performance as a 980Ti. And the 980Ti struggles to stay above 60fps at 1440p in AAA games.

A 980 Ti should have no problems running almost all games at 4k60 at roughly console graphics settings if the console version was already running 900/1080p 60. Was anyone really expecting PC Ultra settings on console? o_O

GTA V at High gets 46 FPS. Console settings are a mixture of Low, Medium, and some High settings.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9306/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-ti-review/13

And that's with PC inefficiencies built in. But GTA 5 on console doesn't run at 60 FPS I don't think. So it's unlikely that it'd run at 60 on Project Scorpio. The CPU is going to be too much of a limiting factor there.

What isn't expected to happen is for games that were only running at 30 FPS to suddenly run at 60 FPS.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:

Sure 30fps will be the norm on Scorpio because most Xbox One games run @ 30. Now if a developer builds their game from the start with 60 fps in mind (Ex BF1, Forza,Halo5) the Scorpio will handle 60 fps with ease. They built the Scorpio to run most Xbox One titles that hit 1080/900p at full 4k regardless of the titles frame rate. Also the comparison of the Scorpio to the power of the 980ti isn't really valid. They have completely different architecture for one and consoles always punch well above their weight compared to PC parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back