AMD Vega 10, Vega 11, Vega 12 and Vega 20 Rumors and Discussion

RX Vega reveal coming up in less than 9 hours and so far there's zero leaked slides, zero gaming benchmark results, zero info about SKU variety.
I guess congratulations are in order to AMD, if nothing else for their ability to keep things secret until the reveal.

Who said there is going to be a reveal? I expect "This puppy here is Vega (woodscrews optional)", "Look at this vague gaming benchmark" and "Its coming any moment now, believe it" with an announcement of the Frontiers Edition (all six of them) launching on the 30th June. I'm happy to be proven wrong on this, but the signs sure don't point towards that.

Frontiers Edition has already been announced. AMD isn't known for showing mockups with screws during reveals (unlike others).
AMD's Keynote Registration page for Computex clearly mentions "Radeon" among the logos.
The Computex Website also clearly states they will be sharing new details on 2017's high-performance products.

The only products of 2017 that haven't been revealed are the Vega cards and Raven Ridge.

Not sure I get that "all six of them" Frontier Edition cards jab, either.
Lisa Su came on record during an investor call claiming AMD will be releasing into the market the Frontier Edition + Vega Pro + RX Vega + MI25 Vega within the next couple of months. If the amount of cards they have was so low, why would AMD release of all those different SKUs almost simultaneously?

Last edited by a moderator:
Really like how the new amd cpu's shake the pc world. Any leaks on what the 16core cpu will be priced at? Amd wasn't afraid to claim victory on every cpu pricepoint. I have to wonder why so silent on vega side... Optimist in me expects vega to need per game patches for competitive perf and the patches are not yet ready, pessimist in me on the other hand. If I recall correctly the january vega announcement claimed new tiled rasterizer, primitive shader etc. would not give benefit out of the box.

And what kind of a demo is that? Showing Prey running on a dual RX Vega setup with no fps counter whatsoever? What is the purpose of the demo exactly? It didn't even last 10 seconds! That is just sad!
Knowing that a 1080Ti runs Prey above 80fps average in 4k, this is not a good sign for Vega. It remains me so much the Polaris crossfire demo.
Finally, I expect availability of Vega gaming in August (Siggraph is 30 July - 3 August) at very limited quantity and September for any real meaningful numbers.
Something went wrong with Vega but we will only know what in few months...

Well 80fps not in ultra preset right? At least I seem remembering Lisa saying the demo ran in ultra preset... Acc. to techpowerup bench in very high the 1080ti hits 80fps... and we dont know anything about exact settings of the demo... btw do we even know if 2xFE 16Gb or 2xRX 8Gb have been used?

Last edited:
Who said there is going to be a reveal? I expect "This puppy here is Vega (woodscrews optional)", "Look at this vague gaming benchmark" and "Its coming any moment now, believe it" with an announcement of the Frontiers Edition (all six of them) launching on the 30th June. I'm happy to be proven wrong on this, but the signs sure don't point towards that.

2 out of 3, not bad at all.

Well 80fps not in ultra preset right? At least I seem remembering Lisa saying the demo ran in ultra preset... Acc. to techpowerup bench in very high the 1080ti hits 80fps... and we dont know anything about exact settings of the demo... btw do we even know if 2xFE 16Gb or 2xRX 8Gb have been used?
It was 2x RX Vega. Memory capacity was not stated.

2 out of 3, not bad at all.
For future predictions, keep in mind that AMD likes Tuesday launches.;)

Prey isn't exactly hard to run at 4K. Why would they need 2 cards? I guess we'll find out in 2 months.

Prey isn't exactly hard to run at 4K. Why would they need 2 cards? I guess we'll find out in 2 months.
Showing the ability to use multiple cards effectively would be impressive if the scaling issues were finally solved. Coming out with a Threadripper running 4 GPUs effectively would have been better.

The real question is what are they concealing with Vega at this point? It's a bit late for concealing competitive advantages against Pascal. I don't foresee Nvidia launching too many more of those before Volta releases. Best guess is driver work and the really impressive demonstrations aren't there yet. If they demoed 4k120 with FreeSync2 on 4 GPUs that would be hard to ignore and compete against even if Nvidia knew it was coming.

The real question is what are they concealing with Vega at this point? It's a bit late for concealing competitive advantages against Pascal. I don't foresee Nvidia launching too many more of those before Volta releases. Best guess is driver work and the really impressive demonstrations aren't there yet.
My guess would also be the unfinished drivers. Tiled rasterizer likely needs lots of driver code to work properly. Fully transparent memory paging system is likely hard to get working properly in all titles. We don't know how they managed to do the massive NCU efficiency and clock rate improvement. Maybe there's big changes to the register files that need a new shader compiler + new ISA. For example Maxwell performed very badly with a (Linux) shader compiler that didn't use the new operand cache. GCN so far has required no tracking of register usage (no bank conflicts or other limitations). If the new NCU ISA needs this, it could mean big changes to their shader compiler. I am eagerly waiting for the new GCN5 ISA docs to see what has actually changed.

RX Vega reveal coming up in less than 9 hours and so far there's zero leaked slides, zero gaming benchmark results, zero info about SKU variety.
I guess congratulations are in order to AMD, if nothing else for their ability to keep things secret until the reveal.
The launch date has been revealed. And still no leaked slide. Well done!

Showing the ability to use multiple cards effectively would be impressive if the scaling issues were finally solved. Coming out with a Threadripper running 4 GPUs effectively would have been better.
They did. In the Pro Render/Blender Demo, didn't they?

The launch date has been revealed. And still no leaked slide. Well done!

They did. In the Pro Render/Blender Demo, didn't they?

Well for be fair, and i know you know it.you dont use CFX in the same way of gaming with OpenCL based compute... each gpu work separately of each other rendering a tile. ( like a cpu thread finally ).

Anyway it seems, the ProRender demo, was show a realtime viewport (not a render ), i will be curious to see it in video or live.

ProRender seems really fast for realtime viewport render, refresh is really smooth. ( based on demonstration i have seen made by user with the beta ). ( AMD finance developpement and work on the new OpenGL/OpenCL real time viewport on Blender ( Cycles ),
based on advanced technic they use on Prorender ).

Photos quality is bad, but you can clearly see 4GPUs, and specifically it is only rendering "realtime" the camera limit on the viewport.

attachment.php

FE presentation... @19min for Pro render demo.

attachment.php

Last edited:
For once, I'm glad I have a high-enough WAF threshold to avoid this kind of waste of time.

For this i say thank to Anandtech, i had just let run their live blog on my phone when i was doing something else, just looking the updated text time to time.

Anyway a lot of marketing with all PC and laptop brand, but well it is anyway nice too see that this mean brands are back to use AMD CPUs ( including in laptop ), this was not the case not so long ago.

So on "ToTTen's Scale of Underwhelmingness" that goes between 0 and 10, AMD managed to turn this keynote all the way up to 11.

Not only did they show that Vega's "H1 2017" availability actually means "last 3 (three) days of H1 2017", their only game demo only served to actually make Vega look worse.

They have their latest high-end 16-core/32-thread CPU and future top-end graphics card working in Crossfire. That's nice, but then somehow the folks over at AMD thought it'd be a good idea to show all that using the least demanding AAA game of 2017 that uses DX11 and gets zero performance gains above 6-cores/6-threads. And they did it at 4K, which a single non-overclocked 1080Ti can handle at 60 FPS.
And the cherry on top is they didn't show performance numbers, but forgot to turn vsync on.
I get that you don't want to turn vsync on if you want to show raw FPS output, but if you're not showing FPS numbers then you're simply being stupid or very ignorant by showing tearing in a demo made for tens of thousands of potential customers.

Even if their contract with Bethesda demands they have to show Prey in all their keynotes and shows (which is terrible if true), they should have at least shown the setup working in an unknown value 8K or 3*4K in an Eyefinity arrangement.

And then what they formally showed was what all the motherboard makers had been showing for 2 days, which are the specs for the Threadripper platform. But then they showed zero description of SKUs and pricing for the new processors. So apart from spouting a couple of launch dates (which were pretty underwhelming themselves) they managed to bring exactly zero news of their own during this keynote.

Oh and turns out the Asus Ryzen laptop that was being teased is just a large laptop using a Ryzen 7 AM4 CPU and a Polaris 10 GPU (is anyone going to buy this thing over a laptop with a GTX1070?).
Only positive thing I saw was the 4-core + 11CUs Raven Ridge being shown up and running in a 2-in-1 convertible. Though it was only an AMD prototype, Having an actual OEM showing a future product would have shown a lot more confidence.

And almost all the slides they showed were the actual same slides they had in Taipei. They couldn't even bother to make new slides?
I'm glad I was asleep during this thing.

Back