Nvidia Pascal Reviews [1080XP, 1080ti, 1080, 1070ti, 1070, 1060, 1050, and 1030]

I messed up with the naming on this chart, it should be Watt per FPS :mad:

Edit:
perfperwattgqkx9j5l7h.jpg

That's better :yep2:

With the undervolting, have you tried to do more with memory overclocking while undervolting?
This works well for some with Pascal due to the hard limits imposed, but this would be a balance rather than the most extreme undervolt values.
Cheers

With the undervolting, have you tried to do more with memory overclocking while undervolting?
This works well for some with Pascal due to the hard limits imposed, but this would be a balance rather than the most extreme undervolt values.
Cheers

Yup, both in my overclocking profile and the undervolting profile my ram ran at +600. I'm now trying to push +700 for 24/7 stability as I can run anything up to +850 for benchmarks. Getting lucky with memory OC is very good when undervolting as these cards scale nicely with mem bandwidth!

AC Unity playable at 5K with max settings (minus MSAA) at 220 watt power draw:

assassinscreedunity04mkszh.jpg

https://abload.de/img/assassinscreedunity04uls7q.jpg
https://abload.de/img/assassinscreedunity04rqs6y.jpg
https://abload.de/img/assassinscreedunity04hqsx3.jpg

Not a bad showing for the 1080 Ti :)

After playing around with different voltage points, I think the sweet-spot for Pascal is around 0.900mv (give or take depending on your GPU), it offers the best balance between power efficiency (and therefore better thermals/acoustics) and performance. Key point is that because memory overclock doesn't affect power draw significantly you can push as much as it can possibly go without it negatively affecting performance.

Last edited:
Seems I was too optimistic about overclocking my 1080. It either isn't stable much past 2000Mhz, or hits a voltage limit. I dunno how you get past that, maybe by setting fans at max and putting earplugs on.

Anyway I'm verry happy about the undervolting result. I'm using the card at 150W down from 200W stock with almost the same performance. Super silent.

Some more, also with RX 550 and comparative benchmarks in casual games:
https://www.computerbase.de/2017-05/geforce-gt-1030-radeon-rx-550-test/
This is a pretty neat little card, though I think the choice of memory is interesting. The RX550 uses 7 gbps gddr5 memory, yet the GT 1030, despite only having a 64bit memory interface, only uses 6 gbps gddr5 memory. Overall these cards are pretty close in performance, and while we can all agree that gp108 makes more efficient use of the available memory bandwidth than Polaris 12 surely GT 1030 is more in need for faster memory than RX550...

I'm glad the computerbase.de review used a passive cooling version of the GT 1030 as the performance/efficiency will be similar to what we see in the laptop version MX150.

I'm glad the computerbase.de review used a passive cooling version of the GT 1030 as the performance/efficiency will be similar to what we see in the laptop version MX150.
Speaking of that, I am wondering about the weird name and if there'll also be versions with "ordinary" naming for mobile. Should make an excellent replacement of GM108 though there in any case (albeit compared to GM108, it has the "extra baggage" of display outputs, video decode making it slightly less cost-efficient).
Albeit display outputs seems somewhat limited, with 1 DP, 1 HDMI, 1 DVI - with some vendors opting to ditch DP even, leaving it with only one and a half useable display output (since dvi is limited to single link, I can't count that as a full output...). Although the cards with DP + HDMI should be fine. Strangely enough, not G-Sync ready neither - that feature should be basically free in terms of hw costs, so I have to assume it's an artificial restriction due to marketing decisions.

So1030s actually do come passively cooled from day one, and yet no fanless rx550 in sight :(
I think that's the difference between a 30W and a 50W card. If you look at the passive GT 1030, their heatsinks aren't all that large - pretty simple stuff with just a aluminium block (and that's true for all I've seen, though the heatsinks vary quite a bit in size and shape). The passive RX 460 by contrast from XFX has a huge heatsink with heatpipes and all. Now RX 550 is a bit lower power, but it's closer to RX 460 rather than GT 1030, so it would probably need a similar solution, simple block of aluminium is likely not going to cut it.

I'm sure there will be one or more, heck, XFX had even passive RX 460 which is more powerfull and more power hungry

I'm also sure there will be one. But i dislike the timing, I want an Rx 550 for a few months until I;ll hopefully buy a Vega.

I think that's the difference between a 30W and a 50W card. If you look at the passive GT 1030, their heatsinks aren't all that large - pretty simple stuff with just a aluminium block (and that's true for all I've seen, though the heatsinks vary quite a bit in size and shape). The passive RX 460 by contrast from XFX has a huge heatsink with heatpipes and all. Now RX 550 is a bit lower power, but it's closer to RX 460 rather than GT 1030, so it would probably need a similar solution, simple block of aluminium is likely not going to cut it.

I think this has much to do with target audience. Many enthusiasts do not shop in this price and performance range and the lesser the level of enthusiasm, the slimmer the chance that people actually care about passively cooled parts in contrast to inaudibly cooled parts (if at all).

Additionally, the XFX RX 460 does only fit inside a regular desktop case like the CM Elite 360/361 with a lot of good will, bulging the top cover a bit because of the heatpipes. That could potentially cause RMAs from people who are not sure whether or not it will fit and in the low margin market, every RMA is double-triple painful. Maybe it's only, because GT 1030 is more explicitly not targetted at anything else than causal gamers than the RX 550/460/560 and that for HTPC use, passive cooling really might be a thing.

To me I am not convinced the RX550 is meant to compete with the GT1030, especially when one looks at the price bracket/performance/TDP.
I do not know what the prices are like where you are, but here in the UK a buyer would need to find around 20% more money to buy the RX550 (ignoring very cheapest from both and still then Nvidia is cheaper) but the RX550 does have notable better performance more generally.
Pros and cons for either card and I think Nvidia do need a middle ground card between the 1030 and 1050 if they intend to compete against the RX550 price bracket.

But their purposes and scope are not entirely comparable IMO.
Cheers

Back