Back into the PC Master Race. It was never a total absence but still.

it's one of the plans I have, to get a 4k monitor with FreeSync once Vega is out, specially if I find a Vega card that runs fine without having to change my 450W power supply.
Vega isn't coming for a while... I would get a cheap 144hz 1080p now, it will pair well with the 570 and allow you to instantly enjoy one of the best aspects of PC gaming.

AOC - G2460PF is $200 new and I haven't even checked the used market. With 240hz out there should be good deals from people upgrading.

Last edited:
It's interesting how people are getting 4k monitors for PC gaming, while the LCD tech isn't able to resolve anywhere near that ammount of pixels in motion. And on top of that, requiring top tier hardware for new games to run.

Vega isn't coming for a while... I would get a cheap 144hz 1080p now, it will pair well with the 570 and allow you to instantly enjoy one of the best aspects of PC gaming.

AOC - G2460PF is $200 new and I haven't even checked the used market. With 240hz out there should be good deals from people upgrading.
144Hz is nice if you want to play games like Quake Champions or other intense fighting games. The smoothness of motion and immediacy of control is compelling.
If that's not the type of games you like to play though, I would choose to stay away from TN-panels and their dithered colours and horrible viewing angle limitations that unavoidably causes colour shifts across the screen.
I happen to have that AOC - G2460pf at home right now. And play Quake Champions. :) It's a nice combo in that context. Kinda sucks for anything else though, but the better stuff comes with much heavier pricetags and often compromises in responsiveness.

Last edited:
It's interesting how people are getting 4k monitors for PC gaming, while the LCD tech isn't able to resolve anywhere near that ammount of pixels in motion. And on top of that, requiring top tier hardware for new games to run.

Motion resolution isn't nearly as important as it is often made out to be. For starters slow motion doesn't appear as low resolution as fast motion and not every game is a switch shooter and even at those it's still hard to keep up with fast motion with your eyes. LCD supposedly can only resolve around 300 lines of resolution without some tech like BFI aiding it, but try playing a game with 300p vs 2160p and tell me they look the same. 4K looks a ton better in practice than 1080p or even 1440p if you are sitting close to the screen.

LCD supposedly can only resolve around 300 lines of resolution without some tech like BFI aiding it, but try playing a game with 300p vs 2160p and tell me they look the same. 4K looks a ton better in practice than 1080p or even 1440p if you are sitting close to the screen.

For that we would need to have 300p monitors/TVs with the same panel properties for proper comparison :). But true, even lower res content on 4k screen can look better just as was the case back in early 1080p days, but that then is question of processing quality and the aforementioned inability to have the same panel and circuitry just with a different resolution.

Seen one of those 144Hz panels in motion at the house of my missus' brother-in-law and he played Battlefield 4 awesomely well. I was impressed at how fast he reacted and how he twisted his back and his neck when he tried to find the smallest place where to shoot or the tightest shot in difficult situations. In fact I wrote a thread on the experience. When watching video and stuff like that I think the screen wasn't nearly as good though, it had this mist like effect on the screen, though I guess calibration would do wonders.

My panel is 1080p 32", calibrated from time ago, looks great, and for the kind of games I play, which is about everything, but specially RTSs, Heroes of Might & Magic, adventure games, etc etc, I rather prefer to get a Freesync panel and let the GPU go free framerate wise. What I wonder is what's the limit framerate those Freesync displays possess and what is the price to pay for that. Next jump is going for a 4k monitor but til Vega...I can wait.

Am I weird for being on a 24" 1920x1080? It still just seems the right size for me and it's going strong, the only reason I'd really want to upgrade is for freesync right now and higher refresh rates.

Am I weird for being on a 24" 1920x1080? It still just seems the right size for me and it's going strong, the only reason I'd really want to upgrade is for freesync right now and higher refresh rates.
I'm on two 23" 1080, one 120Hz and the other 60Hz.
I'm considering replacing them, but I don't think a single massive high resolution screen will suite me.

I'm very intrigued that there are such panels, 24" or 25" 1080p that run at 240Hz. (ok, 24.5", yet another new damn size but sounds good)

That's a real deal 240Hz, of course overkill but reviewers say you can see it (biggest I ever tried was 640x480 150Hz on Unreal Tournament, in Glide mode even. Well, everything flew around and as you're seemingly running at 100 mph it was quite fitting)

It does have Freesync with 48Hz at the lower range. Not too bad for once tho!

If you somehow want to run with raw old v-sync these would be the steps available as I somehow really wanted to know

from wikepedia
240 is :
(...)
  • a highly composite number since it has 20 divisors total (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, 12, 15, 16, 20, 24, 30, 40, 48, 60, 80, 120, and 240), more than any previous number.
this simple review I looked at
http://www.trustedreviews.com/aoc-agon-ag251fz-review

Nope. It's the same way that 500 GB HDDs are fine...until you get more storage and fill it.

Monitors are the same. I was fine with 24" 1200p monitors, then I got my first 30" 1600p monitor. Going back to 24" is painful (more than lack of vertical resolution than size) but doable still. Then I got my 49" 2160p monitor. I could go back to using a 30" monitor as main, but just the thought of doing so is painful. :p

Had I not started down the road of upgrading monitors I'd still be happily gaming on a 24" screen. Then again I could say the same about my 20" 1600x1200 monitor. And even before that my old 15" 1280x1080 monitor. And before that, etc. :D The first monitor I owned was only 320x240 (that was really high resolution back when I got it) and amber monochrome. Yes that was similar to Televisions, but unlike televisions it was sharp without pixels bleeding into neighboring pixels (if you attempted to use a TV as a monitor back then). My how times have changed.

Regards,
SB

It's the same with refresh rate as well. 60hz is too painful to even browse the internet nowadays. I mean the mouse pointer is so choppy..

Nope. It's the same way that 500 GB HDDs are fine...until you get more storage and fill it.

Monitors are the same. I was fine with 24" 1200p monitors, then I got my first 30" 1600p monitor. Going back to 24" is painful (more than lack of vertical resolution than size) but doable still. Then I got my 49" 2160p monitor. I could go back to using a 30" monitor as main, but just the thought of doing so is painful. :p

Had I not started down the road of upgrading monitors I'd still be happily gaming on a 24" screen. Then again I could say the same about my 20" 1600x1200 monitor. And even before that my old 15" 1280x1080 monitor. And before that, etc. :D The first monitor I owned was only 320x240 (that was really high resolution back when I got it) and amber monochrome. Yes that was similar to Televisions, but unlike televisions it was sharp without pixels bleeding into neighboring pixels (if you attempted to use a TV as a monitor back then). My how times have changed.

Regards,
SB
can attest to that. I am using a 32" panel, 1080p native and I had a 19" and a 21" LCD screen, both 1440x900 iirc. When I get a monitor again I am going to wait for a freesync 4k display, with a size of 32" at least, though I am thinking about getting a 40"-42" display, more than that is quite large for my desk and my viewing distance. Also a 12 bits colour panel like the one I am using now would be also nice, but I think I could do with 10 bits, although 12 bits really looks very very nice so we shall see.

My first monitor was a 14" CRT monitor whose max resolution was 1024x768.

The last laptop I had and its 11" screen caused some pain to my eyes because of spending too many hours using it very closely. Double vision upset :( was one of them. Health is really important in that sense, specially for a myopic.

Back