Battletech

Has anybody been keeping an eye on this? They've released some game play vids and are releasing a multiplayer beta the first week of June for Kickstarter backers. You can still get in on the Beta with a $60 "donation".

It's a turn based strategy game, has the appropriate licenses and such so all of the classic mechs are in the game with their familiar load-outs.

I've kickstarted, but generally speaking I try to stay away from the betas and news :) I only want the final product.
Give me Jason blood to the moonnnnnn!!

Heard about it & seen the video. Kinda interested. I used to play the original Battletech in college in the early 90's, but just a little bit. Hopefully you can still design your own mechs?

Tommy McClain

Heard about it & seen the video. Kinda interested. I used to play the original Battletech in college in the early 90's, but just a little bit. Hopefully you can still design your own mechs?

Tommy McClain
I think you can customize, but still limited by chassis as per standard Btech rule sets. I've never played the miniature game which this ruleset is based off, but I still assume weight is the main factor in determining customization.

I think you can customize, but still limited by chassis as per standard Btech rule sets. I've never played the miniature game which this ruleset is based off, but I still assume weight is the main factor in determining customization.
Cool. Yeah I designed my mech miniature on the Marauder which looked just like the Zentraedi Officer Battle Pod from my beloved Robotech. [emoji2]

Tommy McClain

first time I hear about this game but a turn based strategy game always appeals to me.

They're collaborating with Piranha for the mech models, so be prepared for a few changes to certain "unseen" mechs* due to all the legal shenanigans that came up in the 90s (it's a bloody mess).

*Marauder, Warhammer etc.

From watching the vids, it looks like mech customization is going to be a thing, I think it's based on weight and heat just like the paper rpg the rules are based on. They made a pretty big deal in their last video (I think it's the one I linked above), about how they are tweaking heat. If I understood correctly, it sounds like they've added damage from overheating as opposed to just shutting down the mech for a couple of turns.

I'm also not sure the scale of the game, I think the only thing they've showed so far is 1v1 PVP with each player having 3 mechs each.

From watching the vids, it looks like mech customization is going to be a thing, I think it's based on weight and heat just like the paper rpg the rules are based on. They made a pretty big deal in their last video (I think it's the one I linked above), about how they are tweaking heat. If I understood correctly, it sounds like they've added damage from overheating as opposed to just shutting down the mech for a couple of turns.

I'm also not sure the scale of the game, I think the only thing they've showed so far is 1v1 PVP with each player having 3 mechs each.
They've done a fairly good job in convincing me that this is like a modern day Crescent Hawks revenge. I'm not going to be crazy about the PVP aspect, I respect that it's there, but I know a lot of guys who play Mechwarrior Dark Age that would like it. I believe that ruleset doesn't allow for more than 1v1 PVP as well.

Bah, more details on their kickstarter page:

Mech & Mech Warrior visual customization
Single player campaign mode + never-ending single player campaign
Customizable mech loadouts and configurations
User controls lance of 4 mechs (not 3 as I stated above)

Why does everybody hate co-op players??

Still itching to get my hands on that June 1st Beta though.. no NDA for the Beta, so I'll probably end up just waiting for reviews.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/battletech

I have access, but I haven't gotten around to installing it. Might try it out on an older computer with an i5 750 and an HD6870.

Have access. It inusually like to just play the final product :). Once I play once I won't want to play through again. Usually :)

Same here, although with the Beta being just multiplayer, I'd think you'd still get lots of mileage out of the campaign!

hm? It's a skirmish mode for now. They had to remove multiplayer for the time-being.

P.S. it runs terrible at the moment (beta beta beta).

Gameplay seemed fine for now. I thought it was mostly straightforward, but they do shove a manual.pdf in front of you too. Some things might not be fully implemented, not sure (pilot injury can happen, but has dubious effects). Hopefully, they have an in-game tutorial for the final release just to go over how the turn system operates as opposed to reading. I like to click things too, so I guess I discovered certain things about activating/deactivating weapons you want to be fired.

I think it needs an ultra speed option for the A.I. turns since mech movement is naturally glacial. Lance vs lance can be kinda torturously slow when watching the computer.

Seems to be a lot of hype behind it and getting some decent previews. Hope it's successful and not mired down with lawsuits that every Battletech and derivatives seem to encounter.

Back