Destiny 2 [PC] + Battle.net

Malo

Yak Mechanicum
Legend
Supporter
Since there's no PC thread for this yet but confirmed coming out for PC. Here's an interesting bit of news about a partnership with Blizzard for Battle.net integration

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/news/?d=2017-5#181745

We want to let everyone know that a new game will be appearing alongside your favorite Blizzard games—one that’s a little different from what you might normally expect. Bungie’s upcoming first-person action game Destiny 2 will be joining the party! We’re excited to announce that we're partnering with Bungie and Activision to support the PC version of Destiny 2 exclusively via Battle.net.

Destiny 2 will be integrated into many of Blizzard’s existing social features—you’ll be able to chat with friends playing Destiny 2 the same way you already can for Blizzard games. Players will also be able to add friends and form parties the same way Blizzard gamers can. And, you’ll see a Destiny 2 status icon by your friends who are playing Destiny 2 the same way you do for friends playing StarCraft II, Diablo III, WoW, Heroes of the Storm, Hearthstone, and Overwatch.

I guess that means all profits from Destiny 2 sales on the PC will go to Activision-Blizzard company?

Where is the outrage from Gaben about Activision shunning Valve/Steam for their sales?

Won't be playing Destiny then. I refuse to download yet another portal, I'm sorry, I get irritated enough with Steam and Origin updating each time I turn on my PC.

Won't be playing Destiny then. I refuse to download yet another portal, I'm sorry, I get irritated enough with Steam and Origin updating each time I turn on my PC.
Yea, I never noticed this unless I really pay attention, but it does happen _a lot_.
Battle.Net is also prone to this. Not sure what all the updates for the client are about.

I guess that means all profits from Destiny 2 sales on the PC will go to Activision-Blizzard company?

Where is the outrage from Gaben about Activision shunning Valve/Steam for their sales?
lol, the writing is on the wall. Everyone making their own store to avoid that 30% cut.

More than all that, I think this is the most co-operation between Activision and Blizzard since the merger in 2008. That says a lot since prior to this both entities despite nominally being the same company operated separately and published titles separately.

And the wording of this thing makes it apparent there really is no common ties between Blizzard and Activision. However, I wonder if this means that the Activision side of things might try to convince the Blizzard side of things to host more of their games in the future. Or if this was purely a move by Bungie and Activision had zero input on it, meaning this will be the extent of all past and future intermingling between Activision and Blizzard.

As a side note I wonder if this will mean server/client model will be used even in single player like Diablo 2. That would mean that multiplayer would use dedicated servers instead of player hosting, Yay!

This makes me wonder if one of the reasons Destiny never made it to PC is because Bungie doesn't want to release on Steam due to piracy concerns.

Regards,
SB

I'm pretty sure you can turn off run on boot. The start/desktop shortcut also opens the game's landing page for news and patching. The only thing that makes it Blizzard.net-y will be the icons for other games down the side.

Last edited:
More than all that, I think this is the most co-operation between Activision and Blizzard since the merger in 2008. That says a lot since prior to this both entities despite nominally being the same company operated separately and published titles separately.

And the wording of this thing makes it apparent there really is no common ties between Blizzard and Activision. However, I wonder if this means that the Activision side of things might try to convince the Blizzard side of things to host more of their games in the future. Or if this was purely a move by Bungie and Activision had zero input on it, meaning this will be the extent of all past and future intermingling between Activision and Blizzard.

As a side note I wonder if this will mean server/client model will be used even in single player like Diablo 2. That would mean that multiplayer would use dedicated servers instead of player hosting, Yay!

This makes me wonder if one of the reasons Destiny never made it to PC is because Bungie doesn't want to release on Steam due to piracy concerns.

Regards,
SB
What does Battle.Net do that Steam can't do in terms of piracy?

What does Battle.Net do that Steam can't do in terms of piracy?

Nothing in regatds to piracy that I know of, unless it has better hooks for online authentication and game logic.

The only "feature" I see is keeping the 30% sale cut inside the Activision company.

Yea, I never noticed this unless I really pay attention, but it does happen _a lot_.
Battle.Net is also prone to this. Not sure what all the updates for the client are about.

Honestly, I probably wouldn't notice it so much or it wouldn't be so irritating if my new PC weren't so fast. When there's no Steam or Origin update, it's about 20 seconds from power on to game load screen. The updates don't take that long, but any delay from near immediate to not is like:

"DAMN IT!"
"....Great, now Origin has to update as well!"

I can't imagine going to level 3 with Battle.net. "WTF?! Seriously? Battle.net, too?! Jesus Christ already!"

I'm pretty sure you can turn off run on boot. The start/desktop shortcut also opens the game's landing page for news and patching. The only thing that makes it Blizzard.net-y will be the icons for other games down the side.

Yes, I can turn it off. I'm not sure about the Steam client but when I had Origin turned off it wouldn't let me play BF1 without the update so it's really pointless to turn it off unless I've decided I'm not going to play any EA games for a while.

Yes, I can turn it off. I'm not sure about the Steam client but when I had Origin turned off it wouldn't let me play BF1 without the update so it's really pointless to turn it off unless I've decided I'm not going to play any EA games for a while.
Battle.net is a large offender here wrt to this. If you have all blizzard games installed, there isn't a time when something isn't updating. It's always fucking updating, and the worse part is that when the client updates, nothing is playable and no games are being updated, and you don't even know that your client is being updated. You just sit there and wait 5 minutes until it tells you to reset.

Then you reset and then it starts downloading. Super annoying.

PC settings from livestream? https://twitter.com/LtRoyalShrimp/status/865342698491756545

DAJQeS6UMAEXw5J.jpg

This could be the reason why I found it graphically disappointing for a GTX 1080Ti.

As long as they offer the dedicated server as a download or put it on the disc
Dude this isn't 1995. We're not going to get a demo of Destiny 2 on a CD from a magazine cover with a bonus server version.

No when you buy the full game from a shop or download it via steam or whetever
and whats so outlandish about including a dedicated server
Unreal tournament did it so did many other games
kZuqrBD.jpg

Last edited:
No when you buy the full game from a shop
Like... a physical shop? Firstly it's on Battle.net, there will be no "box" to buy at a store. Gaming stores don't even sell PC games in boxes anymore, only games that come as a card to register on a service like Origin, Battle.net, Steam etc. There are no discs anymore unless you're buying your next favorite murder mystery find-an-object game from Walmart to install on your grandma's Windows ME pc.

And I'm not sure picking out UT from 2004 is a good example, you're just proving my point.

Dedicated servers for games are limited to sandbox indie games or PvP team match shooters where you rent servers, not huge AAA titles.

Back