Prey (2017) [PS4, XO]

I wish they'd taken a cue from the Dishonored team and added FOV adjustment along with all of the on-screen HUD/objective toggles they have over there. :)

But yeah it's a very entertaining game with loads of exploration and minutiae to discover. I'm at 15 hours and have no idea how far I am towards whatever the end might be. I'm not sure I'm even going to use any alien abilities in this play of it....

This game is so goddamn gooooood! Are you guys enjoying?

Ok, so noticed the Black Market achievement is Ultra Rare, so here's a pretty simple guide to all locations. Man, it's worth it for all the Neuromods.

Patch 1.02 has pretty much eradicated input lag issues on the PS4. Shooting feels really slick now.

I actually finished the game yesterday (got to play a whole hour with the new patch - yeah. Then again, it never really bothered me that much). What a ride. GotY for me so far. Bethesda is absolutely killing it as the publisher of high quality single player experiences. Single player experiences that don't assume the player's an idiot that is.

Last edited:
There's a 1.03 beta patch now. On PC anyway. It has more fixes and adds a FOV slider finally.

• Further fixes to prevent save games from becoming corrupted. Fix also returns corrupted save games to uncorrupted state.
  • Items should no longer be incorrectly deleted from inventory or world when changing levels.
  • Fix for stamina not recovering.
  • Fix for being unable to repair items.
  • Player should no longer spawn out of level.
  • Fabricated weapons are now empty.
  • Fix for humans incorrectly turning hostile. Hostile humans in lobby will be returned to friendly.
  • End game credits now always skippable.
  • Aaron Ingram no longer cowers if spooked by a typhon.
  • Fix for various problems making changes in the settings.
  • FOV slider is available in the advanced options menu.

I feel the NPC interaction is particularly glitchy and weird and could have used some work. I've seen people teleport to talk to me. I've seen people talk to me while fighting glitchy walking spasms. lol. And sometimes they talk over each other while talking to me. Though I love having NPCs in a System Shock style game, and being able to save them or kill them off, both with consequences. Cool stuff.

I'm still plugging away at the game. 33 hours and counting. Having some trouble finding one of the crew... Haven't even worked on the main storyline for like 10 hours. I'm nearly a maxed out engineer/security dude intentionally with zero alien powers.

Last edited:
Looking for to this.... assuming I'll get it for free with Vega? Right AMD/Bethesda? :)

Will get to this in due time. Haven't even played the demo yet. I know I will be getting this.
I think I will play my Dishonored 2 first though.

Sent from my SM-N920G using Tapatalk

Any word on the promised but not delivered Pro support? It even says in the box that it's supporting the Pro but nothing yet. Apparently.

Any word on the promised but not delivered Pro support? It even says in the box that it's supporting the Pro but nothing yet. Apparently.

What do you mean by this? I thought the Pro was supported automatically? Do you mean there was no benefit to the Pro version and the game is identical? If that's what you meant, I also thought that games were supposed to automagically take advantage of the increased horsepower and scale up naturally - not that developers would create a separate version or patch in Pro upgrades later?

What do you mean by this? I thought the Pro was supported automatically? Do you mean there was no benefit to the Pro version and the game is identical? If that's what you meant, I also thought that games were supposed to automagically take advantage of the increased horsepower and scale up naturally - not that developers would create a separate version or patch in Pro upgrades later?

All games need to have a patch - or be released with extra support - to be enhanced on the Pro. That gives higher res and/or additional things that need to be coded for the Pro.
Otherwise there's Boost mode which just stabilised the frame rate if it wasn't great on the original PS4, and this takes advantage of the higher clocks - but not the double GPU power.
Prey was meant to be "enhanced" for the Pro. It says so on the box and the devs confirmed it. But as it stands, it has no proprietary features such as higher res. Last time I checked anyway.

I was under the false assumption that because the consoles were x86 based and this game was also released on PC, that it would be easy for games to be developed to scale to Pro/Scorpio and that it wasn't something that would have to be added in as a patch.

That doesn't appear to be the case, I checked the after LB's comments and the "Enhanced Pro" benefits are unclear, wide-ranging, and apparently non-exist for this game even though it "earned" the seal that says so. This makes me more uneasy about these mid-gen console upgrades than I was previously.

I foolishly thought it would essentially be like upgrading your PC GPU. You just load the same game, get the higher settings and off you go.

I was under the false assumption that because the consoles were x86 based and this game was also released on PC, that it would be easy for games to be developed to scale to Pro/Scorpio and that it wasn't something that would have to be added in as a patch.

That doesn't appear to be the case, I checked the after LB's comments and the "Enhanced Pro" benefits are unclear, wide-ranging, and apparently non-exist for this game even though it "earned" the seal that says so. This makes me more uneasy about these mid-gen console upgrades than I was previously.

I foolishly thought it would essentially be like upgrading your PC GPU. You just load the same game, get the higher settings and off you go.

Yep. This discussion is on some other thread around here :)

They need to fix up various mission and NPC bugs before tweaking the tech I think. I mean I had two Dr. Igwe guys around! One in the cargo bay and one in my office. :D And there are still a few unsolvable missions.

By the way I finished the game last night at 38 hours play time. Lots of interesting twists and choices in this game. Every choice you make has some kind of effect. I have to play again if only because I never used any alien abilities.

Last edited:
PS4 Pro Support added for:
  • Enable Screen-Space Reflections
  • Higher quality shadows
  • Improved texture appearance
  • More texture memory (stable streaming)
  • Anisotropy 16x (from 4x)
  • Improved visual fidelity
  • Less LOD usage
  • Dynamic lights show up further
  • Particles are allowed to draw more pixels per effect
  • Particle refraction enabled
Man, that list really makes you feel you should have a pro. WTF, man, now the same BS of constant urge to get the next gfx card in consoles too ! THis world is coming to an end :runaway: !

Back