Virtual surround on Xbox One with headphones

Thanks! They are much more than I'm willing to pay for right now ~$300 on Amazon.

I have a pair of Sony mdr-7506's. If they are good enough for audio engineers, they are good enough for me. I also found the fact that they come with a parts list so you can self-repair them if they break to be pretty novel.

yea nice man! yea I've got 2 PSB Image T6 towers here, lol I thought it (PSB) was so rare, I didn't think anyone else would know about them.

Good to hear.

I live in an apartment, so I'm all about headphones. Would love to get a nice pair of speakers some day, if I get a house. Have a pair of Paradigm bookshelf speakers I bought twenty years ago that do well enough for my space.

damn that's exciting. Really paves the need for really high end cans now. Will HRTF still work as well with just stereo towers? I guess it won't be as precise with sound coming from the front.

dunno HRTF for stereo speakers... but Virtual Surround does work with stereo speaker.

in Windows, starting from Vista i think... you sometime can enable Microsoft Virtual Surround audio FX in audio output cpanel. Enable it for basic surround sound using stereo speaker.

even rarer, you can see "Calibrate" button on it somewhere. You will need a good mic. Windows then will automatically calibrate the virtual surround and audio equalizer. BOOM! really nice sound.

maybe this is actually the trick those "surround sound bar" used?

Is this due to SHAPE or does it not need the specialized hardware in the X1?
PC has something similar....correct?

yep, a hardware decompressor allows the xbox to use compressed audio without hitting the cpu
Did you even read the link??

"SHAPE offers six fixed function blocks focused on common audio tasks:

1. XMA Decoder: Concurrent decodes of 512 XMA format voices
2. SRC: A high-quality dedicated polyphase sample rate conversion block allowing
3. Mix Buffers: Dedicated accumulators for 128 in-place mix channels
4. FLT/VOL: A module providing both volume scaling and a state variable filter implementation for more than 2,500 voices/mixes
5. EQ/CMP: A module providing up to 512 channels of 3-band equalization and dynamic range compression.
6. DMA: SHAPE has dedicated DMA hardware."

I'm uncertain if SHAPE can do the HRTF processing. bkilian revealed it wasn't a Tensilica DSP but a bespoke processor. I think the voice processing hardware is the same DSP stuff though and can be repurposed based on what he said. Although that's getting too OT! For Scorpio, headphones will hopefully be the best audio solution.

Did you even read the link??

"SHAPE offers six fixed function blocks focused on common audio tasks:
yes I read the link, and whats the point of those 6 fixed function blocks
its to allow games to use large amounts of audio streams from compressed sources without hitting the cpu

I'm uncertain if SHAPE can do the HRTF processing. bkilian revealed it wasn't a Tensilica DSP but a bespoke processor. I think the voice processing hardware is the same DSP stuff though and can be repurposed based on what he said. Although that's getting too OT! For Scorpio, headphones will hopefully be the best audio solution.

Sorry to continue the OT, but DF said it was being used for exactly that.

The audio processor in Xbox One is fully transplanted across to Scorpio and gains new functionality - spatial surround, effectively adding a 'height' component to the existing 7.1 set-up. Scorpio is set to receive support for Dolby Atmos for gaming, Dolby Atmos for headphones plus a Microsoft proprietary format called HRTF, developed by the Hololens team. Because the APB (audio processor block) hardware is basically identical to that found in Xbox One, it means that all existing iterations of the console will get the spatial surround upgrade.

It does...
So you accept your statement it's a hardware decoder was wrong?.
...but it does very little apart from putting a lot of audio streams into games
It resamples (changes pitch) and filters. What else is it supposed to do?
the above post states it will soon support htrf well welcome to 1996
Meaning? No-one's claimed it's doing anything new or magical or the PC is being left behind or anything at all, so I've no idea where this 'hostility' is coming from. It's a fact, SHAPE in XBox One is an audio processor capable of creating 3D HRTF audio for use in games and hopefully it'll bring stereo headphone enabled 3D audio to games. The same algorithms should be present on PC as well, whether implemented in hardware or on the CPU. There's not really anything to debate, other than to ensure that readers know which opinion is the truth and which is ill-formed. ;)

Back