Prey (2017) [PS4, XO]

I played the Demo for 15 minutes yesterday...unfortunately it positively reeks of generic crap. Poor graphics and animation to top it off. Ugly (graphics) straight out of half life headcrabs are the first enemy you face.

Maybe it's fun if you get deep into it, I dont know.

Too bad. I only watched the Youtube video up until the headcrab and the game looked atmospheric and fun enough that I haven't watched any more. I also could only judge the art style rather than graphic fidelity from Youtube. Mulitple reviews have stated that the controls on the console are horrific but I hadn't read any complaints about graphics and animation quality.

Apparently Arkane has come out and told PC users to use their 2 hour steam refund policy as they didn't have enough time to make both a console and pc demo. Isn't Friday an odd day to release a game?

Watching a stream of it right now.

Getting some Bioshock vibes from it, but doesn't look like it's for me.
I never finished any of the Bioshock games for some reason.

I think it's not even remotely similar to the first one. Wonder why they keep names of old franchises when they are making completely new games?!?!?
well, I haven't played the original but this one doesn't remind me of the original at all. iirc the original Prey was some kind of Wild West game and the protagonist was a native American?

well, I haven't played the original but this one doesn't remind me of the original at all. iirc the original Prey was some kind of Wild West game and the protagonist was a native American?
Yes, The original was about teleporting through portals, playing with scale of the world, spirit walking and mish mash and Native american myths and Organic space stations which seemes to be made of living matter.

This one looks cool from what I have seen but either has nothing of that or is being held secret till now.

The game seems great from what I have seen just that for people like us who had played the original the name is like an unnnecessary baggage it is carrying on itself! I fell it will be more successfull as a new IP, a new Idea.

Will try out the demo tonight.

Seen a few people play it on Twitch today on Xbox_Alive and it just looks so boring to me.

Maybe it just streams badly or is way too early in the game, but I would definitely grow tired of this quickly.

I played about 3 hours of the release version yesterday (v1.01) and I absolutely loved it. Wonderful level design. Not really sure whether they already fixed the controller lag or I just got used to it. Didn't have any problems either way.

Last edited:
Reviews are almost universally positive at this point, about 24 hours since release.

I don't know how different the release version is from the Xbox demo but both Xbox and PC reviews have been stellar.

So what do you guys think so far? Now that I’m past the first 2 hours of the game—and I was already enjoying that part—I love it. I love how System-ass Shock this game can be.

Heads up: Pick up conditioning ASAP if you want to move, sneak, run faster—so helpful.

Also, I made a simple Fabricator and Recycler guide for those that are interested.

So what do you guys think so far? Now that I’m past the first 2 hours of the game—and I was already enjoying that part—I love it. I love how System-ass Shock this game can be.

Heads up: Pick up conditioning ASAP if you want to move, sneak, run faster—so helpful.

Also, I made a simple Fabricator and Recycler guide for those that are interested.

I played for an hour or so this evening. Very enjoyable and interesting thus far. I feel like it's a game with the potential for many spoilers so I probably won't be revisiting this thread until I've completed it. ;)

Why new threads for new videos @warcrow ? I am pumped for Prey, more than Dishonored 2 which is lying on my shelf for a god one month now.
staying spoiler free for a real "discovery" based experience.

feedback is rather positive so far but I'm not sure if this is a game for me apparently it is more of a survival horror game than a shooter. Some are comparing it to Half Life but HL had a lot of melee combat and shooting.The Setting looks cool I enjoy Sci-fi worlds but maybe the atmosphere could get a bit monotone with everything looking so alike?

Human heads vision of Prey 2 appealed to me more than that. It looked like THE Sci-fi game Just thinking about what would've been possible on current gen is depressing.

It has many nods towards System Shock that's for sure. Looking Glass. Etc. I think it feels like System Shock 2 meets Dishonored. The gameplay, visuals and audio work. It's entirely a RPGFPS in that vein. It has some of the Dishonored / Half Life 2 Viktor Antonov design styling to it, but not the malformed people thing. I saw a framed photo of Dishonored characters in one room....

My impression is it didn't have the budget of Dishonored 2. It just doesn't have the same level of detail. On the flipside, on PC, it's much easier on the hardware than Dishonored 2.

It's a fascinating game so far.

Is it scary? It's not really horror but it most definitely has some weird unnervingness to the creature and audio work. The usual Arkane Studios efforts.

Last edited:
While I wouldn't call it exactly scary, it's certainly rather stressful. Pretty challenging, too. The designers didn't shy away from placing some really tough enemy bastards between you and your objectives. I'm really loving it. I think it looks pretty damn great for the most part as well. Maybe not quite Dishononored 2 good - in terms of natural lighting, sheer geometric density and realistic surface shaders, that game is damn near peerless. Amazing art direction as well of course - but still fairly impressive. My first space walk definitely put a shit eating grin on my face.

Yeah I played it for 4 hours straight yesterday without realizing it. It's a good game. Arkane is probably my favorite group of developers.

The space walking made me think of Dead Space. Cool creepy stuff.

I just adore all the small details this game gets so right. Like the fact that there's a certain degree of mystery to the skill trees and how you cannot simply unlock the alien-based ones without doing some research first. I also really like how appropriately not obvious the various pathways through the levels are. This is such a far cry from Deus Ex's air vent epidemic. Last but not least, this game really captures the feel of Talos1 being a place in which people actually used to live and work. It's not succumbing to the urge of being flashy and theatrical. It's also not trying to continually market itself to the player even though he's already purchased it. Similar to a Souls game, it's refreshingly indifferent.

I also really don't understand on which grounds exactly the player base (or rather a tiny, albeit very vocal subsegment within) decides when a game is a bad port and when it's not. The console game looks like the PC version on high settings and runs at a pretty much locked 30 fps (what other Cryengine game besides Ryse can even claim that much?). Input lag isn't exactly ideal, but it's nowhere near as bad as in much faster games such as Rise of the Tomb Raider for example. By far the biggest issue is the loading times when entering the various segments of the ship. But as you're usually spending a long ass time in those, I wouldn't exactly call them dealbreakers either. As this isn't exactly an easy game, the reloading times upon death (or when you aren't quite sure about a skill you want to pick) are way more important if you ask me, and those are actually really, really short. This was a much, much bigger issue In the Witcher III.
I'd say at the very least this is actually a pretty damn competent port.

Last edited:
Argh, I have no time and this game sounds great
What about the length ? Are there (hidden) optional objectives ?
How is the level design compared to Dishonored 2. Imho, it'll be hard to beat the clockwork mansion mission

It's a lengthy game with plenty of optional objectives as well as multiple endings. I'm not done with it. Have no clue how far I am either. Our editor in chief played it for 35 hours on normal, by the way. Pretty sure you can complete it in significantly less time, though. Speaking of optional objectives: that is another thing the game handles exceptionally well. The game doesn't hit you over the head with them. Sometimes you follow a noise. Sometimes you read an email. They're implemented very organically and believable. Some of them take rather unexpected turns, and some actually have lasting consequences for the main quest line. You'll never know until you try, though. That is if you even come across them in the first place.
Level design is fantastic as well. It's nowhere near as outlandish as Dishonored 2's though. There's a much bigger focus on authenticity here. It's not like in Dishonored 2 where one look at a level instantly tells you how a specific character build would most efficiently conquer any given situation. Prey gives you the tools to get really creative, though. This is not a knock against Dishonored 2, by the way. It's just a surprsingly different game.

Last edited:
Back