God of War [PS4, PC]

To elaborate from my previous kinda-joking-kinda-serious post, I think we will see A LOT of Horizonification in future Sony titles and maybe not just them. To the point where it will get annoying and repetitive. A bit like we saw a lot of Unchartedification of various degrees of success, to the point of getting a bit sick of it all.

If they 'horizonify' GOW I think that will be a great thing.
I don't think so. Horizon is fast and agile, new GOW seems super slow like LOrds of the fallen and has a camera at odds with its gameplay.
Would love to be proven wrong at E3.
If anything they LOUfied it not Horizonified it.

Because of this:

Old fans will play it because they want to return to Kratos, and bunch of new people will play it because they got hooked by new stuff.
I don't think its old enough to warrant a reboot yet. Also, I don't think its mechanics are even close to hardcore that it needs to simplify even further to bring in more audience. It is no bayonetta or DMC and that is why so many ppl including me played it. It was a simplified hack n slash with spectacle ! It was anyways geared at max audience.

From what I see, now it will slow TPS trudge with spectacle. Thats more like admitting we are done with the HnS audience, lets go for the Uncharted audience now. I say, make a new character ! BUt that money into advertising etc etc so no, we present Kratos 4 : A God's end !

Last edited:
After 6 games I think that change in gameplay mechanics is much needed. After Ascension, which was quite medicore, I would not buy another game that is just more of the same. Thats why changes they made was necessary. And I hope they will darksoulsfy it.

Agreed about the change. Just not into this. This is a dude that faced off against 50 enemies at once in GOW III without breaking much of a sweat. Not gonna happen with a clunky behind-the-shoulder control scheme. It's also a dude that didn't think twice about the collatoral damage that would ensue from killing off all the gods. The guy murdered the entire world basically, and now I'm supposed to get all emotional because his son cannot kill a fucking moose?
GOW doesn't have "Gladiator" in its DNA. It has Harryhausen and "Caligula", though.

I think it's also worth noting that GOW Ascension just wasn't a good GOW game and a massive step back from GOW III. Shoving a multiplayer focused battle system into the single player campaign was a poor move, and being pitted against a bunch of mythical creatures no one has ever heard of before just wasn't very exciting. The whole thing felt so insubstantial it would have barely qualified as decent watercooler talk in Kratos' life. The PSP games felt more epic than that.

Last edited:
Agreed about the change. Just not into this. This is a dude that faced off against 50 enemies at once in GOW III without breaking much of a sweat. Not gonna happen with a clunky behind-the-shoulder control scheme. It's also a dude that didn't think twice about the collatoral damage that would ensue from killing off all the gods. The guy murdered the entire world basically, and now I'm supposed to get all emotional because his son cannot kill a fucking moose?
GOW's doesn't have "Gladiator" in its DNA. It has Harryhausen and "Caligula".

I think that Kratos is still badass that will annihilate enemies by hundreds. Shoulder camera is not any indication that he's more mellow and friendly somehow, It's not static an we havent seen how it copes with several enemies at once. I think it will be allright.
As for Kratos getting emotional - I don't think thats the case. He simply restrains himself to better educate his succesor in art of war.

All in all, I think that for this series it was either evolve or vanish. Better to try no while it has huge fan base.

For me its the most awaited title.

I think that Kratos is still badass that will annihilate enemies by hundreds. Shoulder camera is not any indication that he's more mellow and friendly somehow, It's not static an we havent seen how it copes with several enemies at once. I think it will be allright.
As for Kratos getting emotional - I don't think thats the case. He simply restrains himself to better educate his succesor in art of war.

All in all, I think that for this series it was either evolve or vanish. Better to try no while it has huge fan base.

For me its the most awaited title.

the game director Cory Barlog told Kratos will against fight against hundreds of ennemies like before...

I don't think so. Horizon is fast and agile, new GOW seems super slow like LOrds of the fallen and has a camera at odds with its gameplay.
Would love to be proven wrong at E3.
If anything they LOUfied it not Horizonified it.

I didn't find HZD fast and agile. Her melee attacks were painfully slow and clunky (one of my few complaints with the game). That and the painfully slow arrow reload (even at full skill set). Didn't fit with the rest of their abilities at all, seen how she can climb and jump her way up mountains like Spider-Man.

After 6 games I think that change in gameplay mechanics is much needed. After Ascension, which was quite medicore, I would not buy another game that is just more of the same. Thats why changes they made was necessary. And I hope they will darksoulsfy it.

Ugh!... Lord, no!

There are so many Soulsborne games out now that I don't need GOW becoming another Souls clone.

I'm happy with a new direction for the series, but SSS should just try to make New GOW be its own thing. As long as the combat mechanics are engaging and fun, the story is good and they keep up the GOW3-level spectacle, it will be a winner.

If they focus too much on trying to ape someone else's game they'll not only end up with a GOW that's lost its own franchise identity, but a game that risks losing both old and new fans too.

I wouldn't worry about Darksoulsification. Would be monumentally stupid and misguided. I believe sucking up to the balding, middle-aged game reviewer daddies by giving 'em something for the feels which can be mastered in a matter of minutes is gonna be good enough to open the floodgates of the 9/10 - 10/10 review dam. No reason to make Kratos feel powerless on top of that. Hopefully.
Dark Souls is still a niche that's mostly being served by a single developer. The bigwigs at Sony woudn't have have the stones for that kind of a move. They're gonna squeeze every last drop of water out of the cinematic spectacle genre.

Last edited:
Game will retain its gore signature from previous entries in the franchise
http://segmentnext.com/2017/05/03/god-war-4-gory/

Those fearing the upcoming God of War PS4 might be toned down in regards to all the bloodshed and gore that is the staple of the franchise just to make the game more accessible can stop worrying as there is now confirmation that the game is as gory as ever.

Answering a question on Twitter, game director Cory Barlog confirmed the game will not hold back at all when it comes to gore since the game takes place in a very violent time.

This answer goes along with the recent report of the game getting an 18+ rating from PEGI, the European game rating board. The rating is reserved for titles which feature a fair amount of mature content including violence, sex, blood and gore.

Wasn't Cory the head of the Destiny-like game which got cancelled? I thought he had left Santa Monica after that cancellation. Or am I confusing him with someone else?

Stig was [suposedly] building a large destiny-like SciFi game at SSM, and is now a director of a 2nd team in Respawn Entertaiment where he is working on a unannounced action Star Wars game.
Code:
https://youtu.be/AmM7BYcUOJQ?t=62

Back