Prey (2017) [PS4, XO]

warcrow

Regular
Last week I got to play the 1st hour of Prey and thought it was really great, so I threw together a bunch videos. Let me know what you think. Feel free to ask any questions and I'll answer them the best I can.

Want to see just the intro (first 7 minutes) of the game?

Here's the 1st hour without any commentary:

A Let's Play with my impressions and thoughts:

I had a short, impromptu interview with Lead Designer Ricardo Bare:

Here's a video of the entire Human Skill Tree, each node revealed (Alien Skill Tree was not available at the demo):

Here's what the hacking minigame looks like (fun!):
https://youtu.be/AbRPWpmDo4o

I also checked out the menu systems and PC graphic options:
https://youtu.be/mUVcm-ia_J8

Last week I got to play the 1st hour of Prey and thought it was really great, so I threw together a bunch videos. Let me know what you think. Feel free to ask any questions and I'll answer them the best I can.
The game was running on a PC running an undisclosed Radeon card
Undisclosed because it wasn't running very well or undisclosed because you're not allowed to? :D

Here's a video of the entire Human Skill Tree, each node revealed (Alien Skill Tree was not available at the demo):

Super stoked for that game. I heard it's got quite a bit of Metroid (Prime) DNA in it? Would you say that's somewhat accurate?

Hopefully they don't fuck up the console versions. I recently read it's not using the inhouse Void engine, but the Cryengine instead. Now that engine doesn't exactly have a great rep on consoles.

Super stoked for that game. I heard it's got quite a bit of Metroid (Prime) DNA in it? Would you say that's somewhat accurate?

Hopefully they don't fuck up the console versions. I recently read it's not using the inhouse Void engine, but the Cryengine instead. Now that engine doesn't exactly have a great rep on consoles.

CryEngine has run fairly well on console. The Dunia Engine (Far Cry 2) and Dunia Engine 2 (FC3) which used a modified CryEngine 1, ran well, IIRC. Same goes for Ryse: Son of Rome (CE3) on XBO. State of Decay (CE3), X360, ran well. Evolve (CE3). Everybody's Gone to Rapture on PlayStation (CE3). There's actually been a fair number of decent to good games using CE3 on console.

Hopefully Prey ends up as one of the better CE games on console.

Regards,
SB

Maybe we should ask the interviewer here:
Mr. Warcrow, Dear sir, did u ask them why is it called Prey? Are there portals to mini planets and Cherokee mumbomagic in there ? Do I go to the Wild Wild West here ? Is there a profanity filter option like in Prey?

On a serious note the cryengine is news to me too. So when did they switch from Void to cryengine? And why? What was it that the dishonoured 2 engine couldn't do?
Or was it always Cryengine? Even if so, why was that decision made over tech 5 or in house?

Sent from my SM-N920G using Tapatalk

I think it has always been on Cryengine.

idTech 5 is basically in house. Bethesda is their publisher. I imagine that's partly why Dishonored 2 used it. Dishonored 2 started development before Prey though. Cryengine would have matured a bit. You'd have to ask this team why they chose Cryengine.

Last edited:

This looks amazing ! I mean apart from the gfx looking a bit dated(never thought I would say that for cryengine someday), the whole mood, gameplay looks fantastic to me !

Didn't watch any of @warcrow videos because I didn't want the spoilers, but ended up watching another Beta walkthrough last night, watched about the first 30(?) minutes and then turned it off because it was getting too spoiler-y. Meaning, it looked like a lot of fun was being ruined by watching somebody else play around.

I watched up until right after you get the gloo gun

The first thing I did after getting to work today was look up the release date. I can't believe this game isn't being released until May with all the previews hitting the interwebz and tubez.

Looks like a hell of a lot of fun though!

Just found this, although it looks like it is specifically for consoles?

https://www.engadget.com/2017/04/12/play-the-unsettling-opening-of-prey-for-free/

Last edited:

Raphael Colantonio interview that discusses:

- At one point Arkane experimented with a deep survival system that had weapon degradation, a trauma system (broken bones if dropped from too high, etc) but dropped it
because it was too overwhelming. Will probably return in DLC.

- After Prey Raphael would like to stick with the FPS/Immersive sim genre, but explore more dynamic storytelling. Essentially open up the narrative like their gameplay.

- Most challenging part of developing Prey was harmony between all the systems and developing the look of the Aliens.

- Raphael’s favorite power is Shift.

- Early on they knew what they wanted the Prey experience to convert a sense of loneliness with a “heavy mood”.

- Lavish craft designed to reflect corporate luxury of the 1960s Aesthetic came much later.

- Scanning is intentionally restrictive and uncomfortable so players don’t stay in it a la Batman Arkham Asylum.

I played the Demo for 15 minutes yesterday...unfortunately it positively reeks of generic crap. Poor graphics and animation to top it off. Ugly (graphics) straight out of half life headcrabs are the first enemy you face.

Maybe it's fun if you get deep into it, I dont know.

I played the Demo for 15 minutes yesterday...unfortunately it positively reeks of generic crap. Poor graphics and animation to top it off. Ugly (graphics) straight out of half life headcrabs are the first enemy you face.

Maybe it's fun if you get deep into it, I dont know.
It's out already ?

I really hope they fix the laggy controls. I quite enjoyed what was on offer in the demo, but aiming was an absolute chore. It's not like in Dishonored 2's case, where, depending on how you play the game, resposiveness isn't necessarily a game-breaking issue. You do not need super fast controls for choking out a dude from behind, and most of Dishonored 2's other mechanics are at least semi-automated.

Last edited:
Back