Nvidia Pascal Reviews [1080XP, 1080ti, 1080, 1070ti, 1070, 1060, 1050, and 1030]

MSI GeForce GTX 1080 GAMING X PLUS with all new 11 Gbps 8GB review
Quite honestly I did not expect a card with slightly faster graphics memory to make this much of a difference performance wise. On a relative scale, everything is just that, ... relative. As seen from the regular Gaming X model I doubt you're going to notice a few FPS more. But the fact remains that just that 10% faster memory is responsible for an extra 4% in gaming performance (compared to the standard Gaming X). And once we tweak that card that difference is roughly 10% faster compared to the regular Gaming X card. And when we take relativity one step further, once you compare all the way back to a reference (Founders Edition) GeForce GTX 1080 and apply a tweak, you can again up-to 20% in performance. And that certainly is interesting. Other then that, the card is 100% similar towards its younger sibling. And sure, you also need to factor in that every and any other 1080 can be manually tweaked as well. See, everything is relative ;-)
The new 11 Gbps memory is really good, and we reached a whopping 12.7 Gbps effective (!). And as this review proofs, Pascal GPUs do like their memory bandwidth so if you can find a high enough stable tweak, definitely go or it if you are seeking that last bit of extra performance.
http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/msi-geforce-gtx-1080-gaming-x-plus-8g-review,1.html

Review: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus
http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/104743-msi-geforce-gtx-1080-gaming-x-plus/

Last edited:
Undervolting certainly helps, these cards get way more voltage than they need at stock.

No kidding! I was able to undervolt my 1080 Strix and limit the power to 75% resulting in pretty much the same 1800-1900Mhz I had before, but a big difference in acoustics. Thanks for the tip.

I'm sure i could reach 2100Mhz this way but the noise wouldn't be worth the 10% speed increase.

Gave the new Unigine benchmark a run at 8K, suprised at the result (this is with both Ryzen and 1080 ti overclocked)

8ksupoydq2j.png

8K looks quite nice :p

No kidding! I was able to undervolt my 1080 Strix and limit the power to 75% resulting in pretty much the same 1800-1900Mhz I had before, but a big difference in acoustics. Thanks for the tip.

I'm sure i could reach 2100Mhz this way but the noise wouldn't be worth the 10% speed increase.

I'm able to sustain 2000MHz on the core on my 1080 Ti with "just" 0.993mv, at stock it was pulling 1.0620mv for 1949! The difference both in performance and acoustics/thermals is too big to ignore.

I'm able to sustain 2000MHz on the core on my 1080 Ti with "just" 0.993mv, at stock it was pulling 1.0620mv for 1949! The difference both in performance and acoustics/thermals is too big to ignore.
Yeah a lot was made about undervolting Polaris, but many ignore there are also benefits doing this for Pascal and can also help with increasing VRAM clocks even a bit more along with core - possibly more of an advantage with the higher tier Nvidia GPUs.

Cheers

It's like a new gpu for me! I'm obsessed about silence and now I can keep case fans on a silent setting even when gaming. At no performance cost!

Undervolting certainly helps, these cards get way more voltage than they need at stock.
Thanks for the tip. After some googling I found how to add a voltage profile to the Afterburner software (Ctrl + F brings up the voltage curve)*, and by lowering the voltage a bit I think I achieved a more consistent overclock. I'm running a Founders Edition GTX 1070 so power is limited by design. Though I am impressed by the card.

Edit: * I guess unlocking the voltage control within the software was also a needed step.

Last edited:
DOOM at native 4k, nightmare settings, no sweat :)

doom4wrnv.jpg

(the monitoring software is just there for info, not playing the game like that :LOL:)

It goes up to 140-150 fps at times, never drops below 60, this GPU is ridiculous. Going from the 970, to Intel 4000 for two months, to this is quite an experience.

Don't you run with v-sync? Anything above 60 fps seems like a waste, unless your monitor can do 144Hz or something along those lines.

Don't you run with v-sync? Anything above 60 fps seems like a waste, unless your monitor can do 144Hz or something along those lines.

Even if you do, undervolting nets better results as it is using even less power at these settings. And when you do need to use the GPU at 99% it doesn't throttle, which leads to smoother frametimes.

Edit: Power draw and fps per watt for Witcher 3 in that scene

powerdrawi1sgs.jpg
perfperwattgqkx9.jpg

Last edited:
The DOOM nightmare settings test:

Chrome can run this at 4k60fps VP9 codec. I recorded this before I looked more into undervolting so it's at 0.981mv :)

Last edited:
Back