All purpose Sales and Sales Rumors and Anecdotes [2017 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, the majority of games sold are downloads instead of retail?

Lazy people, but PPV also makes a lot of money.

So that would imply that people aren't trading in or selling games they finish? You would think this would hurt the secondary market, on which chains like Gamestop rely heavily for their profits.

Wow, the majority of games sold are downloads instead of retail?

Lazy people, but PPV also makes a lot of money.

So that would imply that people aren't trading in or selling games they finish? You would think this would hurt the secondary market, on which chains like Gamestop rely heavily for their profits.
Including mobile games, dlc, indies, pay to play, PC games, and facebook games.

Yeah. Moving on...

Sure mobile, you really don't have a choice.

But it's hard to believe more people are downloading console games instead of buying discs, which gives them way more flexibility and represents a better value, if they re-sell the games after they're done.

Better value is subjective. Especially if you take the multiple sales on discounted digital games into consideration. I no longer pay full price for digital games anymore. Last one was The Division. I won't make that mistake again. BTW the last disc game I bought was GTA 5 back in October 2013.

Tommy McClain

Conclusion from meaningless numbers.

Get meaningful numbers and then a discussion can happen.

Are digital games on average selling at a lower price than disc games?

AFAIK, they are nominally priced the same right? Do they charge you sales tax on top too?

But you can't recoup any of the cost of a digital game since you can't trade or resell it, right?

Including mobile games, dlc, indies, pay to play, PC games, and facebook games.
Plus subscriptions so also playstation/xbox/nintendo/EA subscriptions
I wonder if the mobile games are in fact just the games or all mobile app revenue (true games would prolly be >50% of that, but AFAIKS goolge,apple only say how many billions the stores make and dont break it down further to categories)

we did have a digital vs physical game breakdown last month for the USA. Switch zelda 97% physical vs 3% digital, though I'm sure thats a higher percentage than the average

we did have a digital vs physical game breakdown last month for the USA. Switch zelda 97% physical vs 3% digital, though I'm sure thats a higher percentage than the average

Meaningless numbers...

For some the ability to sell their games to fund their next purchase will find better value in physical media. For those that want physical media so they can always have a copy on hand or as part of their collection will find better value in physical media. But that portion of the market is shrinking as a percentage while the digital market grows. The benefits of digital downloads is clear to a great many number of people.

There are some games I'll buy in physical media that I'll always want a copy of, but most of my purchases have changed to just downloading and playing without having to pop in a disc. As AzBat mentioned there are a lot of sales that happen and that can save a bit of money. I spend more overall now that I'm purchasing digital titles but I'm also playing a lot more that I would normally. Not having to visit the store or wait for a game to ship from online is a wonderful thing.

The market may reach a point where it makes sense to abandon physical media all together or perhaps there will be a happy equilibrium where both continue to exist side by side.

The other aspect to keep in mind is some manufacturers are absolutely dreadful when it comes to any modern features including Digital Download titles. I'm looking at you Nintendo.

Nintendo has the worst track record of all consoles with providing the absolute worst ownership benefits. They have a long and horrible history of locking titles to the physical device. While all of my console content purchases have been digital since 2012 I would never purchase digital with the Nintendo ecosystem.

This is why I say the Nintendo physical-to-digital breakdown is absolutely meaningless when it comes to general console industry trend. They are the abomination and not the norm.

Numbers are, of course, hard to find as not many publishers release those numbers. However, EA does we can take a quick look at them.

Packaged goods (physical sales) decreased by 6% from 2014 (FY ending 2015) to 2015 (FY ending 2016)

2014 - 2.228 billion USD
2015 - 2.089 billion USD

Full game downloads (digital full game release) increased by 30% from 2014 to 2015

2014 - 323 million USD
2015 - 419 million USD

For 3 quarters so far for 2016 (FY ending 2017), packaged has decreased by 1% YoY while digital has increased by 28% YoY.

Other categories for FY 2014 to FY 2015

Mobile increased by 16%
Extra content (DLC) increased by 22%
Subscriptions, advertising, and other increased by 40%

For 9 months ending Feb 2017 YoY changes.

Mobile increased by 18%
Extra Content (DLC) increased by 8%
Subscriptions, advertising, and other increased by 18%

While EA isn't representative of the US market as they have a greater percentage of packaged sales versus digital, they are catching up. Every year packaged goods sales continue to decline while digital full game sales continue to increase.

Digital full game sales are also increasing at a faster rate than other digital revenue streams except subscription (higher previously but lower for the current FY).

Also, keep in mind that Subscriptions would include the EA service that has a library of Full Games. So that is basically the equivalent of people buying full game digital versions of older titles or to think of it another way, less people buying the physical version as they can instead pay a subscription to play the digital version.

Activision-Blizzard would be the flip side of EA as they have much higher digital sales revenue due to a significantly larger PC games profile (Blizzard).

They don't break things down so nicely but we can get an idea by focusing on how their packaged goods sales go.

2014 - 2.104 billion USD
2015 - 1.806 billion USD
2016 - 1.386 billion USD

And digital revenue just to show that the decline in physical revenue isn't due to the company doing badly as a whole.

2014 - 1.897 billion USD
2015 - 2.502 billion USD
2016 - 4,865 billion USD

So, we can't determine in any way the ratio of digital game sales to physical game sales, but we can see that while overall revenue for Activision-Blizzard has been going up, physical game sales have been dropping quite rapidly.

Physical still makes up the majority chunk of full game sales on console but it's portion of full game sales continues to shrink each year as consumers move to buying digitally. Data is pretty conclusive that sales are gradually moving away from physical to digital. The only question is to what extent and how quickly it is going so.

All of this data can be found in EA and Activision's respective financial reports on their websites.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
But it's hard to believe more people are downloading console games instead of buying discs, which gives them way more flexibility and represents a better value, if they re-sell the games after they're done.
Depends on if you sell them. I know plenty of people, myself included, who keep hold of the games. And then if we sell them, it's years later when they're worth very little. At which point a digital library is far more convenient. Just wait for games to drop to the price you are willing to pay.

Depends on if you sell them. I know plenty of people, myself included, who keep hold of the games. And then if we sell them, it's years later when they're worth very little. At which point a digital library is far more convenient. Just wait for games to drop to the price you are willing to pay.

This isn't what I typically end up doing. I buy a digital download and replace my physical copy.

I tend to follow this mistake. Cheaper to buy digital when the price is cheaper lol. It is the better overall move I agree

Numbers are, of course, hard to find as not many publishers release those numbers. However, EA does we can take a quick look at them.

Packaged goods (physical sales) decreased by 6% from 2014 (FY ending 2015) to 2015 (FY ending 2016)

2014 - 2.228 billion USD
2015 - 2.089 billion USD

Full game downloads (digital full game release) increased by 30% from 2014 to 2015

2014 - 323 million USD
2015 - 419 million USD

For 3 quarters so far for 2016 (FY ending 2017), packaged has decreased by 1% YoY while digital has increased by 28% YoY.

Other categories for FY 2014 to FY 2015

Mobile increased by 16%
Extra content (DLC) increased by 22%
Subscriptions, advertising, and other increased by 40%

For 9 months ending Feb 2017 YoY changes.

Mobile increased by 18%
Extra Content (DLC) increased by 8%
Subscriptions, advertising, and other increased by 18%

While EA isn't representative of the US market as they have a greater percentage of packaged sales versus digital, they are catching up. Every year packaged goods sales continue to decline while digital full game sales continue to increase.

Digital full game sales are also increasing at a faster rate than other digital revenue streams except subscription (higher previously but lower for the current FY).

Also, keep in mind that Subscriptions would include the EA service that has a library of Full Games. So that is basically the equivalent of people buying full game digital versions of older titles or to think of it another way, less people buying the physical version as they can instead pay a subscription to play the digital version.

Activision-Blizzard would be the flip side of EA as they have much higher digital sales revenue due to a significantly larger PC games profile (Blizzard).

They don't break things down so nicely but we can get an idea by focusing on how their packaged goods sales go.

2014 - 2.104 billion USD
2015 - 1.806 billion USD
2016 - 1.386 billion USD

And digital revenue just to show that the decline in physical revenue isn't due to the company doing badly as a whole.

2014 - 1.897 billion USD
2015 - 2.502 billion USD
2016 - 4,865 billion USD

So, we can't determine in any way the ratio of digital game sales to physical game sales, but we can see that while overall revenue for Activision-Blizzard has been going up, physical game sales have been dropping quite rapidly.

Physical still makes up the majority chunk of full game sales on console but it's portion of full game sales continues to shrink each year as consumers move to buying digitally. Data is pretty conclusive that sales are gradually moving away from physical to digital. The only question is to what extent and how quickly it is going so.

All of this data can be found in EA and Activision's respective financial reports on their websites.

Regards,
SB

Important bit bolded? All the digital sales going up by a large amount doesn't surprise me (indies being pushed on consoles, DLC being ever more a requirement with games, etc) and here we see physical sales dropped 6% so shows a similar 'expected' figure - so nothing to fear here.

I have to admit I never tracked digital prices. Just saw that at release, they charge $60, same as they charge for the disc.

I know that the disc prices drop in months or even weeks but haven't seen whether the digital also drop in price. But I don't have a big hard disk anyways.

I never understood why digital was so expensive, they do eventually drop though so like others I tend to go physical then upgrade at a later date if I intend to keep the game. Often I will buy a special edition and sell just the disk on.

Important bit bolded? All the digital sales going up by a large amount doesn't surprise me (indies being pushed on consoles, DLC being ever more a requirement with games, etc) and here we see physical sales dropped 6% so shows a similar 'expected' figure - so nothing to fear here.

Yes for EA, the drops are smaller. For Activision-Blizzard the drop in physical game sales from 2014 to 2015 was 14.2% and the drop from 2015 to 2016 was 23.3%. That is also despite console revenues increasing.

FY ending 2014 - 2.150 billion USD
FY ending 2015 - 2.391 billion USD
FY ending 2016 - 2.453 billion USD

Compared to the numbers in my previous post if we make an assumption that physical sales are mostly console (there's still a non-negligible number of physical sales for PC, but it's pretty small) you can get an idea of how many people have moved to digital on console WRT to Activision-Blizzard titles.

NOTE - the following isn't the percentage of physical sales revenue on console, only the percentage of physical sales revenue (which include a small number of PC sales and only include full game sales) in relation to console sales (which would include things like DLC).

FY ending 2014 - 102.9%
FY ending 2015 - 75.5%
FY ending 2016 - 56.5%

Depending on how prevalent you think PC game sales are and how prevalent DLC sales on console are, will alter how reflective those numbers might be for console physical sales. If I were to take a guess, I'd say that console DLC sales are likely higher than PC physical sales at the current time. If that is true then console physical sales for Activision-Blizzard are likely closer to 50% of full game sales.

One thing that is interesting is that back in 2012, EA made a statement to the press and investors that they intended to move to being fully 100% digital. Consumer backlash to XBO's reveal likely put a kink in that. Also likely explains to a certain degree, where the impetus for Microsoft's decision for XBO focusing more on digital prior to the consumer backlash. EA was likely pushing Microsoft quite hard to go in that direction. Other publishers were probably hoping it would work out as well.

Anyway, fast forward to the present and Activision-Blizzard are much further along in transitioning to being fully digital.

[edit] Forgot to include another little side note. Physical sales revenue accounts for just 22.2% of all game revenue for Activision-Blizzard. While that is lower than the 26% that NPD reports for the US, it's closer than EA's 41.5%. Which means that the rest of the industry is likely closer to 26% making EA a rather large outlier.

I never understood why digital was so expensive, they do eventually drop though so like others I tend to go physical then upgrade at a later date if I intend to keep the game. Often I will buy a special edition and sell just the disk on.

Reliance on retailers and keeping retailers happy mean that digital prices have to match retail MSRP at launch. On console this also means that while retailers can discount physical pricing on a retailer by retailer basis, console manufacturer's cannot. However, on the PC side of things, while there is pressure on publishers to keep PC prices the same as console prices and thus retail prices, they will often discount pre-order and launch prices (for 1 week in general) before setting back to matching console retail pricing. Retailers don't make much of a fuss over that as retail physical for PC is negligible and most retailers instead sell Steam gift cards or sell Steam game codes.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Yes for EA, the drops are smaller. For Activision-Blizzard the drop in physical game sales from 2014 to 2015 was 14.2% and the drop from 2015 to 2016 was 23.3%. That is also despite console revenues increasing.

FY ending 2014 - 2.150 billion USD
FY ending 2015 - 2.391 billion USD
FY ending 2016 - 2.453 billion USD

Compared to the numbers in my previous post if we make an assumption that physical sales are mostly console (there's still a non-negligible number of physical sales for PC, but it's pretty small) you can get an idea of how many people have moved to digital on console WRT to Activision-Blizzard titles.

NOTE - the following isn't the percentage of physical sales revenue on console, only the percentage of physical sales revenue (which include a small number of PC sales and only include full game sales) in relation to console sales (which would include things like DLC).

FY ending 2014 - 102.9%
FY ending 2015 - 75.5%
FY ending 2016 - 56.5%

Depending on how prevalent you think PC game sales are and how prevalent DLC sales on console are, will alter how reflective those numbers might be for console physical sales. If I were to take a guess, I'd say that console DLC sales are likely higher than PC physical sales at the current time. If that is true then console physical sales for Activision-Blizzard are likely closer to 50% of full game sales.

One thing that is interesting is that back in 2012, EA made a statement to the press and investors that they intended to move to being fully 100% digital. Consumer backlash to XBO's reveal likely put a kink in that. Also likely explains to a certain degree, where the impetus for Microsoft's decision for XBO focusing more on digital prior to the consumer backlash. EA was likely pushing Microsoft quite hard to go in that direction. Other publishers were probably hoping it would work out as well.

Anyway, fast forward to the present and Activision-Blizzard are much further along in transitioning to being fully digital.

Reliance on retailers and keeping retailers happy mean that digital prices have to match retail MSRP at launch. On console this also means that while retailers can discount physical pricing on a retailer by retailer basis, console manufacturer's cannot. However, on the PC side of things, while there is pressure on publishers to keep PC prices the same as console prices and thus retail prices, they will often discount pre-order and launch prices (for 1 week in general) before setting back to matching console retail pricing. Retailers don't make much of a fuss over that as retail physical for PC is negligible and most retailers instead sell Steam gift cards or sell Steam game codes.

Regards,
SB

Many thanks for the reply :)

Would explain the lack of retail options on the high street and supermarkets seemingly giving smaller space to games.

It's a sad reality, and when physical is all gone we will be in the lap of the gods WRT pricing as to if we will see deals or not at launch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back