Neglected genres

Strategy games have vanished on consoles

There are still some, like Romance of The Three Kingdom series, Kessen series, Super Robot Wars series, Age of Empire 2 and even A-Train. There are more as well.

TURRICAN 4 !!1

:) ok sorry, but yeah, good 2D mixed with 3D in shooters/platformers AND some great space opera ala wingcommander :)

randycat99 said:
...also a return to addictive arcade melee action like Star Control! I made a topic about this a while ago (except with a ST:NG theme), but no one seemed to "get it". :cry:

what do you mean 'no one seemed to get it'? - a star control, particularly star control2-type of game would be perfect for a console implementation. i wouldn't mind one on the pc either.

as regarding the 2d (-style) side/vertical scrollers which somebody mentioned - ikaruga, arguably one of the best among them, is coming to the gcn, and that's a good news IMHO.

I think an 8-player online super-hero game could be pretty cool. Everyone creates their own superhero to form a supergroup and then the game could generate Diablo-like quests and scenarios to be defeated. New quests could be introduced sort of like issues a comic book and downloadable for a couple of bucks or something.

So you want FreedomForce2 on the consoles, I think if there was demand they would port it :)

I'm waiting for a decent light gun shooter. Something like Die Hard Trilogy on PSX - now that was a blast to play!!! Never really liked TimeCrisis though... I heard Xbox is getting the worlds first 100Hz compatible lightgun - I hope Sony (or Probe) will follow and make a good lightgun shooter to go with it.. :)

Phil said:
I'm waiting for a decent light gun shooter. Something like Die Hard Trilogy on PSX - now that was a blast to play!!! Never really liked TimeCrisis though... I heard Xbox is getting the worlds first 100Hz compatible lightgun - I hope Sony (or Probe) will follow and make a good lightgun shooter to go with it.. :)

That's something I've always wondered. Why don't the console manufacturers come up with a standard lightgun support interface for their respective consoles? It would ensure support for it at the very least. The NES Zapper and SNES SuperScope(to a lesser degree) had decent support, and with games like Time Crisis, CarnEvil, and Area51 popular in arcades, surely a console port would do fairly well.

Even arcade manufacturer's have a somewhat standard lightgun interface, and ANY standard in the arcade business is an impressive feat.

zurich said:
Co-op games and STRATEGY games!!!

Other than Ring of Red, there hasn't been a decent grid-strategy game released since... FF:Tactics?

*prays to the Super Robot Wars gods* (best strategy franchise evAR)

Well... Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis is a great game. Though technically it isn't really a console game, I guess...

Pikmin 2 will co-op, it could be very big for the strategic genre (1M for the first one is not bad anyway).

I think an 8-player online super-hero game could be pretty cool. Everyone creates their own superhero to form a supergroup and then the game could generate Diablo-like quests and scenarios to be defeated. New quests could be introduced sort of like issues a comic book and downloadable for a couple of bucks or something.

Who wrote this? you're stealing part of my idea... only part though.

Phil:
I'm waiting for a decent light gun shooter.
Try The House of the Dead III for Xbox. The action is intense and varies quite a bit throughout the levels, blowing different body parts off the zombies for specific effects is very satisfying, and the game even incudes The House of the Dead II as a bonus! However, I didn't have a good experience in accuracy or comfort with the third-party light gun (Mad Catz I think?)... still, the game plays unbelievably well with the control - no lie.
I heard Xbox is getting the worlds first 100Hz compatible lightgun
Excellent! This sounds like it would make the perfect companion for a blissful union with Xbox's House of the Dead III and the upcoming Virtua Cop 3.

Reznor007:
Why don't the console manufacturers come up with a standard lightgun support interface for their respective consoles?
After tragedies like the school shooting in Columbine, console manufacturers like SEGA and others didn't want to be directly associated with a controversial gun peripheral, and they didn't want to be a target for the heat from anti-violence advocacy groups when they could just leave the manufacturing to third-party peripheral makers who were already making them.

good time to rescue this thread because of how things and gaming habits have changed from 10 years ago to now.

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/854790461688557569 (twitter integratin in B3D plz)
Made a quick comparison.

Best Selling Console Video Game Genres in the U.S. for 2016 & 2015. By Units Sold.

C9zU97oXgAAQAvf.jpg

the rise of the shooter and the decline of sports/racing which all should be no surprise to anyone.
Though what are these adventure games? they should of given examples, I notice they seem to add up to 100% so no category overlap, thus whats GTA5, action? zelda, RPG (wiki saiz action/adventure, GTA5 is also action/adventure according to wiki)?

A lot of shooters add both a competitive and cooperative experience when you play either PVP or PVE in singles or teams.

With sports and racing games, it's pretty much a competitive affair with very little (no?) team play involved. I know some sports games have a little co-op, but I think most ppl play these 1v1 imo.

I play a lot of Halo 5, but my favorite mode is Warzone Firefight. In a way it is competitive because everyone is trying to rack up kills so that they can get higher level REQs quickly, but in the end it is cooperative because you need the rest of your team to take out the higher level bosses.

the rise of the shooter and the decline of sports/racing which all should be no surprise to anyone.
Though what are these adventure games? they should of given examples, I notice they seem to add up to 100% so no category overlap, thus whats GTA5, action? zelda, RPG (wiki saiz action/adventure, GTA5 is also action/adventure according to wiki)?
rise of shooters surprises me though -maybe cos' Xbox users were usually tagged as shooter friendly and now the console hasn't been selling as well.

The decline of racing games doesn't. Ten years ago we had Gran Turismo 4 and Project Gotham Racing 2 :love:, to me those were the racing console games at their peak, and I don't mean F-Zero games and alike, which to me are atemporal.

As for adventure games, it might sound surprising, but games like Life is Strange are some of the best I've played to date. And games like The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav are also an example of great adventure games. I got it at GoG a year ago and couldn't stop playing it til I completed it. Nice art, too. Plus those are games that work well on most devices and you can pause at any given moment.

Heavy Rain would be adventure. As would walking simulators like Everyone's Gone to the Rapture. Pretty much "point and click" adventure games and their descendants, I'd imagine. Things like the Deponia series, Sherlock Holmes series, and many more. It's quite popular in the indie scene and what people are coming to call the AA development scene (higher budget and polish than indie titles, but lower than AAA titles).

rise of shooters surprises me though -maybe cos' Xbox users were usually tagged as shooter friendly and now the console hasn't been selling as well.

Shooters were equally as popular on PS3 as XBO. Just most people looked at NPD numbers, where XBO having a larger install base made it seem like more people were buying shooters on XBO. Conversely that means PS4 is the shooter console now since it has the larger use base. :p Shooters still equally popular on both consoles when normalized to user base, however.

Regards,
SB

Just realized this thread is possibly as old as some members, maybe even older!
Oh my... I still remember the time when no-one was even born in the 2000's :/

Shooters were equally as popular on PS3 as XBO. Just most people looked at NPD numbers, where XBO having a larger install base made it seem like more people were buying shooters on XBO. Conversely that means PS4 is the shooter console now since it has the larger use base. :p Shooters still equally popular on both consoles when normalized to user base, however.

Regards,
SB
don't you think it was a stereotype? Perhaps it stems back from the original Xbox that was capable of running FPS games better than the PS2 (only Black ran on the PS2 iirc, only PS2 FPS I know of) and Halo being the flagship title, and having better online capabilities.

Nowadays PS4 has more exclusives and games than anyone else. There is an issue of diversity with the others. Xbox and Nintendo audiences suffer from narrow preferences. Xbox audiences usually focus on blockbusters and FPSs a lot, whereas from Nintendo audiences...well, they will take whatever Nintendo puts out.

PC audiences consume multiples kinds of games.

don't you think it was a stereotype?
No, we can see it from the NPD data here on these forums, eg it often went (when NPD ordered the platforms by units sold)

eg heres typical month, shooters bolded, xb1 leads ps4 in every shooter (though also the MS owned minecraft)
  1. Call of Duty: Black Ops III (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
  2. Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
  3. NBA 2K16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
  4. Star Wars: Battlefront (Xbox One, PS4, PC)
  5. Fallout 4 (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
  6. Minecraft (360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3)
  7. Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege (Xbox One, PS4, PC)
  8. Madden NFL 16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
  9. Lego: Marvel Avengers (PS4, Xbox One, 360, Wii U, PS3, 3DS, Vita)
  10. FIFA 16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)

Back