Physical Clothing simulation is FINALLY possible in a realistic manner.

Cyan

orange
Legend
Supporter
No more clothes forever pasted to bodies.

After watching a recent presentation from AMD I thought this was going to be the generation of the hairs, and Pantene hair. But it's not.

Look after the 30:05 mark, to see it working in real time. :oops::smile2:Though you can also see it working at the very beginning.

The code is written 95% in C# , which is manageable for him and 5% in ComputeShader, very difficult GPU stuff to write according to him, even if it is 700 lines of code. But it certainly pays off.

The big question is how this can fit within the performance constraints with the rest of the game also running on the hardware. Nevertheless, it's nice to see that we're at a point now where this stuff can run on a notebook :)

The big question is how this can fit within the performance constraints with the rest of the game also running on the hardware. Nevertheless, it's nice to see that we're at a point now where this stuff can run on a notebook :)

Considering he's running that sim on a laptop with nvidia graphics (probably something reasonable), I think it's probably a ways off in terms of a game.

Isn't a little unusual to write it in C#?
it is surprising yes, when in fact he admits languages like C++ are faster, but for instance, PhysX implementation of clothes physics is worse, and runs worse and it is made with C++, plus it is based on Cuda so it only worked in NVidia cards and Unreal Engine, so it was pretty limited.

Since he programmed it in C# he could port it to mobile phones, PCs, consoles... plus it's made on Unity, hence it can make sense. What surprises me the most is how well it runs in real time. Though I don't see it running on my laptop well, it doesn't require that much power.

Really nice. I think fp16x2 Vega feature on PS4pro will add mainly such kind of extra benefits on cloths, hairs and generally more alive and moved environment... this and a few more fps has more value than a "pure 4k@30" resolution...

it is surprising yes, when in fact he admits languages like C++ are faster, but for instance, PhysX implementation of clothes physics is worse, and runs worse and it is made with C++, plus it is based on Cuda so it only worked in NVidia cards and Unreal Engine, so it was pretty limited.

Since he programmed it in C# he could port it to mobile phones, PCs, consoles... plus it's made on Unity, hence it can make sense. What surprises me the most is how well it runs in real time. Though I don't see it running on my laptop well, it doesn't require that much power.
This changed in March 2017 and now can be CUDA solver or implemented as Direct3D 11 and 12.
http://physxinfo.com/news/12808/nvidia-flex-sdk-1-1-is-available-for-download/
Cheers

Back