ASTC compression algorithm

The bane of my existence. It's a tool to compress textures. Unity uses it to compress PVR/ETC1/ETC2 textures and it takes 34264564368245634 years to compress ETC2 textures at the highest settings with it.

I have no idea why those games include it though.

I don't remember a photoshop plugin, but if it has a vqdll.dll file associated with it, then it may be derived from the IMG VQ compressor.

Yes, I certainly used the IMG compressor (VQGen.exe + vqdll.dll) to create those.
It's a standalone file that is simply dropped in the \plugins folder. It supports all the surface formats of the Dreamcast chip not only those based on VQ.

running pvrtextool.exe creates a window that lasts a fraction of a second
and its not listed as running in task manager (maybe its a commandline tool)

PVRTexTool.exe is a command line program. The GUI version, not surprisingly, is called PVRTexToolGUI.exe. The latter is also useful for image comparisons etc.

The current one avsa
PVRTexTool.exe is a command line program. The GUI version, not surprisingly, is called PVRTexToolGUI.exe. The latter is also useful for image comparisons etc.
Latest versions of PVRTexTool (both command line and with GUI) available on IMG site seem to have dropped the VQTC compression scheme. Do you now if IMG has a mirror or archive with the old versions?

my copies of PVRTexTool.exe seem to be from 2013 (no version number) I dont know if it supports vqtc
but if you want it let me know

I don't think PVRTextool ever supported Series2's (i.e. Dreamcast's CLX or Neon250s) VQ scheme. The program is far too recent.

The IMG VQ compressor was called VQGen. Sega also released a compressor called, I think, WinPVR.exe.

Back