AMD Polaris Rumors and Discussion

No idea what the cooler looks like underneath, but the shroud is different to the 480 G1.
Shroud is exactly the same:

ZjspsUM.jpg
sMsdihh.jpg

According to newer drivers, AMD is calling Polaris 20 to the chip in the RX 570/580 cards. Chip code is still the same 67DF, but revision is now E7 from RX400's C7.
Powercolor has officially set the launch date for the refresh to be April 18th.

Videocardz is also showing a table of MSRPs for eurozone that are above the prices currently being practiced for the 400-series equivalents.
Sounds like the R9 390/X launch, I was kicking myself for months that I didn't pick up an R9 290X cheap when they were clearing the lines. They were available for less than the R9 380X was available for a week later.

137MHz higher base clock though. Nice 12% there and we haven't seen power figures yet. That boost may be the 150W mark.

The rx 480 didn't have much problem boosting up its boost clocks if I remember correctly, so the base clocks shouldn't matter much in this case. And no the 150 w mark no longer holds because they did put a 8 pin connector on it, so they expect it to go above that, with or without overclocking doesn't matter.

Last edited:
The rx 480 didn't have much problem boosting up its boost clocks if I remember correctly, so the base clocks shouldn't matter much in this case. And no the 150 w mark no longer holds because they did put a 8 pin connector on it, so they expect it to go above that, with or without overclocking doesn't matter.
Reference 480s ussually never hit boost clocks.

well after the screw up was fixed, I don't think even the reference had any issues right? cause they were hitting boosts with undervolting.

The question is - are Polaris "20/21/12" made at Samsung, or has GloFo upgraded from LPP to new 14nm?

Still at GF's, and no I don't think its a new 14nm, at least GF hasn't stated anything about anything new for production. They have IBM's 14nm, but they aren't using it for any products outside of IBM's chips.

Its quite a bit work to switch over nodes at this point, and with the limited clock speed increases, would it be even worth it?

Still at GF's, and no I don't think its a new 14nm, at least GF hasn't stated anything about anything new for production. They have IBM's 14nm, but they aren't using it for any products outside of IBM's chips.

Its quite a bit work to switch over nodes at this point, and with the limited clock speed increases, would it be even worth it?
LPE was 1st gen, LPP 2nd gen and one of the slides says "3rd gen 14nm" which pretty much means it has to be new process variant, Samsung has 3rd gen (and 4th gen coming up this year IIRC), maybe GloFo licensed that too?

LPE was 1st gen, LPP 2nd gen and one of the slides says "3rd gen 14nm" which pretty much means it has to be new process variant, Samsung has 3rd gen (and 4th gen coming up this year IIRC), maybe GloFo licensed that too?

LPC from Samsung was for mobile right?

Quick round-trip with Google says "lower power consumption and cheaper but similar performance as LPP"

Nope same power consumption, same performance just lower cost

http://www.eteknix.com/samsung-developing-low-cost-14nm-high-performance-10nm-processes/

Samsung has revealed its foundry’s roadmap for the next few years, which includes the development of a low-cost 14nm FinFET process (14LPC), with hopes that it can pass on those savings to its customers, and a new 10nm process (10LPP) that increases performance by up to 10% over its previous 10LPE process.

http://www.samsungsemiblog.com/foun...g-excellence-and-advanced-technology-updates/

3rd generation 14LPC offering which provides a lower cost option, without design rule changes or performance sacrifice.

The only difference is the amount of steps it has.

You're right, I don't know where I picked the lower power anymore, can't seem to find it even though I'm sure I read it before I posted it :oops:

I think I know which one you are talking about, it was confusing the way it was written, but it was for the 10nm lol, which yeah that was the one that mentioned for mobile so go figure we got the info from the same page, just wasn't written well.

Last edited:
4e6b90a5826d.jpg

So the official marketing term is "3rd Gen FinFET 14", Interesting that guy above couldn't get the card to a stable 1500Mhz core w/ a watercooling setup, he had to drop to 1480Mhz, power limited?

Last edited:
Back