Digital Foundry: Microsoft Xbox One X & S supports Freesync 2 [2017-04-11]

lol there are so many of us.
No there aren't. :nope: You are like people who still pump fresh water from a well, and people who clean their clothes by beating them with rocks by the stream. I've met Amish with more updated tech!

No there aren't. :nope: You are like people who still pump fresh water from a well, and people who clean their clothes by beating them with rocks by the stream. I've met Amish with more updated tech!
hahah, hard to get rid of that Panasonic. The colours!!

No there aren't. You are like people who still pump fresh water from a well, and people who clean their clothes by beating them with rocks by the stream. I've met Amish with more updated tech!
Unfortunately nothing beats PDP TVs in motion resolution yet (especially not the current OLED TVs which also have issues with near black colors..) Panasonic's upcoming OLED (which uses a 2017 LG panel like all OLED TVs but with their own SoC..) is supposed to improve on these issues...but is going to cost a fortune..

I guess I'm even more of a neanderthal than they are. Rocking (if you could call it that) an old @$$ Sharp LCD. It's so old, I'm surprised it doesn't have that big old camel hump that TVs had before flat panels were a thing.

I'm also way past due an upgrade and will probably wait to see what the tech savy on the board recommend.

I can assure you that in my family console gaming is of the highest priority when buying a TV.

Absolutely there will be people that will view that feature highly. But as a percentage of the overall TV market (over 200 million TVs sold per year) it's going to be pretty small compared to how it is with computer displays. Even there the percentage of users that want VRR is small, but it's significant as outside of professional use, gamers are what drives premium high margin display sales.

Think of it another way. How many TVs are explicitly marketed towards console gamers? I can't think of any, although one may exist. There are some that tout the benefits for gaming, but they aren't marketing towards console gamers as the primary audience of the TV. Conversely, for computer displays there's quite a few models that are explicitly sold to gamers for gaming.

For example, going to Sony's site and none of their TVs are marketed towards gamers despite them manufacturing the most popular console gaming hardware in the market. Heck, anything related to gaming (IE - low latency) doesn't even make their "Top Features" for any of their TVs.

I'm sure Samsung will likely release a Freesync display as they've been one of AMDs strongest partners WRT to display features. But outside of that? It'll be pretty rare, IMO. Until we get to the point where the HDMI display scalers basically offer it for free on their scalers and then TV manufacturers may offer it just because why not?

Regards,
SB

How big an update is it to TV's to enable this?

It sounds nice for the x360 & x1 bc games but aren't they all vsynced already due to the over head afforded by Scorpio.
If that's the case 90% of those games won't benefit from freesync at all.

It is a really good forward facing feature though, guess for some games if your running on freesync display you could tell it to run at max quaility, and benefit with unlocked frame rate, and have smooth framerate.

Usual DF, new video and article for this one bit of information, it's like pulling teeth sometimes.:LOL:
If you prefer a TV then nice, but I think I am going with a 4K PC Monitor with Freesync because I prefer the image quality of PC monitors and because you can use it with a future PC or console.

If you add to that that I play really close to the screen a PC monitor suits me better. Back in the day I had a 1440x900 monitor and a Samsung HD Ready TV -which I gave to my mother- and I preferred to connect the Xbox 360 to the monitor than to the TV. The image was native and cleaner, plus I preferred how small the dots looked on the monitor's screen.

Reactions: Jay
Why would v-sync be disabled? Contrary to popular belief Freesync works with V-sync On or Off. Actually it even works better when V-sync is enabled as it ensure that you are within the FreeSync range 100% of the time.
Given the fact that V-sync adds latency or sudden drops from 30 to 20 fps for instance, I just hope that it will be gone someday.

pro gamers? I see it as being more targeted at the high quality enthusiast, the people who right now have an HDR TV and so on...
if by pro gamer you mean those people that compete for money and so on, they normally don't care about quality, and for them no vsync at all is ideal.

on the PC a surprisingly high number of displays supports freesync right now, even if it only works at the moment with AMD cards (which are a minority of the market), because it's an extension to the VESA specs and relatively simple to implement and works well as a feature for marketing.

I think it makes perfect sense to support Freesync, if you look at the PS4 PRO quite a few games are running at mid 40s, or could be running at mid 40s but are locked at 30, and mid 40s feels a lot better than 30 if you can eliminate stuttering and tearing,
As for FreeSync hopefully it is going to triumph in the future for the next gen consoles -PS5, Scorpio, Switch 2- to gain traction against the dirty swindle that G-Sync by NVidia is.

Last edited:
I am definitely going to buy Scorpio when it comes out. If it supports Freesync, it will affect my next TV purchase. I am still using an old Panasonic 1080p plasma. Waiting for 4K HDR OLEDs to drop in price (and HDR tech to mature). Scorpio launch would be an excellent time to upgrade my TV to 4K/HDR/Freesync, if good reasonably priced models with these features are available.

Same here (actually got 2)..the only way forward is this monster... http://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/televisions/4KTV/tx-65ez1002b.html ...8000€..o_O

lol there are so many of us.

I'm in that club too.

MY BROTHERS!!

My Panasonic plasma isn't even full HD, but I can't bring myself to switch it for an LCD. Can even put my PC through it at the click of a button. Supersampled Rage is still a thing on beauty on it.

But a freesync HDR monster telly ... now that would be worth switching for.

It's this kind of feature that makes me think MS aren't just planning on ditching Scorpio when X1S reaches EOL. I think they're working a long term progression of systems, iPhone or PC style. Each one builds on the last, and your media library stays with you.

dozens_of_us_arrested_development.gif

If you prefer a TV then nice, but I think I am going with a 4K PC Monitor with Freesync because I prefer the image quality of PC monitors and because you can use it with a future PC or console.

If you add to that that I play really close to the screen a PC monitor suits me better. Back in the day I had a 1440x900 monitor and a Samsung HD Ready TV -which I gave to my mother- and I preferred to connect the Xbox 360 to the monitor than to the TV. The image was native and cleaner, plus I preferred how small the dots looked on the monitor's screen.

I guess it depends a lot on the size, but in Destiny a monitor rather than a HDTV is supposedly one of the best improvements you can make to your performance in multiplayer.

I guess because presumably your monitor is much smaller than your HDTV, there is less screen for your eyes to cover thus faster reaction is possible. And two, that monitors typically have less input lag than HDTV's.

Personally I'm not just that good that I'm sure it makes any difference and it's hard to give up 55" and sound bar/subwoofer. I turn on game mode (and I also researched my TV purchase to ensure it has low lag in game mode), figure I'm probably ahead of 90% of people you meet online just by doing that, and call it a day.

I posted about the PC monitor my brother recently got though, $1200, 34" curved widescreen, and holy smokes does it look beautiful, the colors are so rich. I could see gaming on that! Playstation 4 Pro looks fantastic on it. Still, the main issue is I do not like to be forced sitting up in a chair or desk while gaming, couch all the way.

Do PC monitors have freesync over HDMI?

Last edited:
hahah, hard to get rid of that Panasonic. The colours!!
Yeah. Nothing worth replacing the Panasonic Viera until now. LCDs have awful blacks (or should I say grays, as LCDs don't do blacks).

My friend recently bought a 3000$+ 4K OLED. He is using it as a desktop monitor in his living room. He also had a Viera before it. The plasma noise was quite visible on desktop use. The new OLED is flawless. Tiny perfect pixels. No noise, no color bleeding, perfect blacks.

Didn't upgrade my PS4 to PS4 Pro, because I don't have a 4K TV yet. The improvements for 1080p owners are very limited. Scorpio is a much bigger jump over Xbox One. No more 720p / 800p / 900p games. Everything is at least 1080p. I bit more sensible update to 1080p TV owners, but I don't expect much additional eye candy if developers are mainly targeting 4K output. 900p->4K = 5.76x higher resolution. But hopefully we have good 4K sets available at Scorpio launch, so that's not a problem for me anymore :)

Last edited:
I'm torn on features like these.

On one hand, it's great because it can help preserve image consistency when frame rendering goes over budget, but on the other won't it sort of encourage the devs to care about stable framerate less? Especially on a console like Scorpio that - let's face it - only has enough grunt to render a full 4K image with settings and techniques available on XB1/PS4 in 1080p/900p. How soon before devs will try to improve shadows, draw distances, LODs, AO, lighting, DoF, etc. at the expense of going from 60 to 50fps because Freesync will help it make less noticeable to the eye, but the negative effect on response time remains?

Still, at this point this is just a concern because I doubt that over the lifetime of Scorpio market share of Freesync-supporting TVs will be significant. But it's clever for AMD neverhteless to push that technology on MS - I'd not be surprised if they incurred the costs themselves - to try to establish Freesync as a potential future standard for variable framerate TVs.

But it's clever for AMD neverhteless to push that technology on MS - I'd not be surprised if they incurred the costs themselves - to try to establish Freesync as a potential future standard for variable framerate TVs.
AFAIK Freesync is simply AMDs marketing name for their implementation of the HDMI 2.1 VRR (variable refresh rate) standard. It's never been a proprietary standard like Nvidia g-sync.

See HDMI 2.1 standard here. VRR is part of it: http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_1/index.aspx

Didn't upgrade my PS4 to PS4 Pro, because I don't have a 4K TV yet. The improvements for 1080p owners are very limited. Scorpio is a much bigger jump over Xbox One. No more 720p / 800p / 900p games. Everything is at least 1080p. I bit more sensible update to 1080p TV owners, but I don't expect much additional eye candy if developers are mainly targeting 4K output. 900p->4K = 5.76x higher resolution. But hopefully we have good 4K sets available at Scorpio launch, so that's not a problem for me anymore :)

I'm just hoping for 1080p quantum break :)

Gimme those pc ultra settings. Game still has some of the craziest visuals, just needs the image quality cleaned up.

Also, I've been reading a lot about displays, and there's nothing that fully covers what I want. Oled currently has some motion issues (at least lg) and overall brightness issues. LCD has motion issues and black level issues.

Last edited:
I'm torn on features like these.

On one hand, it's great because it can help preserve image consistency when frame rendering goes over budget, but on the other won't it sort of encourage the devs to care about stable framerate less? Especially on a console like Scorpio that - let's face it - only has enough grunt to render a full 4K image with settings and techniques available on XB1/PS4 in 1080p/900p. How soon before devs will try to improve shadows, draw distances, LODs, AO, lighting, DoF, etc. at the expense of going from 60 to 50fps because Freesync will help it make less noticeable to the eye, but the negative effect on response time remains?

Still, at this point this is just a concern because I doubt that over the lifetime of Scorpio market share of Freesync-supporting TVs will be significant. But it's clever for AMD neverhteless to push that technology on MS - I'd not be surprised if they incurred the costs themselves - to try to establish Freesync as a potential future standard for variable framerate TVs.

Well, most people have static refresh tvs, so I think you'd still see most games try to lock at 30 or 60fps. Some games already have drops, and that would probably still be the case. Variable refresh may end up working the other way, where some games may draw above the static target 30-40 or 60-70.

Back