AMD RyZen CPU Reviews

I was going to buy during the summer anyway so I will watch what happens. I can live with it being 20% slower than a 1grand chip at $500. I would get the 1700 anyway for $320 and it will be a step up from what I have now and I should be able to get the chip , board and 16 gigs of ram for half the cost of a 8/16 core chip from intel

Well I pulled the trigger and so far I have the 1700, Asus Prime X370-Pro, Corsair 3000 DDR4 and my m2 NVMe drive arrives Wednesday. Been 4 years since my last build so looking forward to it!

Keeping my GTX970 until Vega is released then deciding what I can get for $500 for the GPU upgrade.

image.jpg

I sure hope there's not a combined team of 20 Microsoft and 20 AMD engineers working arduously on improving UT3 FPS from 220 to 300 FPS, and this update is bringing better performance somewhere else.

I sure hope there's not a combined team of 20 Microsoft and 20 AMD engineers working arduously on improving UT3 FPS from 220 to 300 FPS, and this update is bringing better performance somewhere else.
I agree but I'd still say its promising to see they could get more performance from Ryzen.

Even bitchips is premising that they have no proof for that, and for fairness they are no making a baitclick article

The Ryzen 7 1700 is rather appealing, still haven't made my mind. (neither about which manufacturer nor when to upgrade)

I haven't finished it yet but loving that Anand have used a number of different GPU's in game testing, R5 1600X is looking like a great prospect.

Yeah, what's up with Nvidia's drivers?

An Rx480 beating a GTX 1080 on Ryzen in Civ 6? Appears to be CPU limited at 1080 as Fury X and 480 are roughly the same speed, but Fury X and 1080 pulls ahead as resolution increases putting more load on the GPU.

And ROTR, holy hell does Ryzen get slaughtered if it uses an Nvidia GPU with Dx12, but is competitive with Intel with AMD GPU.

OK, didn't expect that. In Rocket League Ryzen again gets slaughtered with an NVidia GPU in Dx9!!! And again Ryzen is competitive with Intel when using an AMD GPU. And Rx480 on Ryzen beats the pants off of GTX 1080 on Ryzen. :p Obviously both are CPU limited at 1080p as they have similar performance on Intel CPUs, but NVidia just falls flat on its face on Ryzen.

Civ 6 at 8k and 16k, purely GPU limited at that point shows just a slight lead for Intel on Nvidia.

So, there's something quite obviously borked with NVidia drivers with some titles in Dx12 and Dx9 on Ryzen it looks like.

Wonder how long it'll take NVidia to fix their drivers?

Regards,
SB

Well the obvious cause would be the notorious theorised NV Driver Device ID check:

Code:
IF
  DeviceID == AMD
THEN
  Performance.MakeAMDLookBad
ELSE
  Performance.NVisBest
:runaway:

Or NV use Intel Compiler with the (I think proven?) Intel equivalent?

Last edited:

An Rx480 beating a GTX 1080 on Ryzen in Civ 6? Appears to be CPU limited at 1080 as Fury X and 480 are roughly the same speed, but Fury X and 1080 pulls ahead as resolution increases putting more load on the GPU.

And ROTR, holy hell does Ryzen get slaughtered if it uses an Nvidia GPU with Dx12, but is competitive with Intel with AMD GPU.

OK, didn't expect that. In Rocket League Ryzen again gets slaughtered with an NVidia GPU in Dx9!!! And again Ryzen is competitive with Intel when using an AMD GPU. And Rx480 on Ryzen beats the pants off of GTX 1080 on Ryzen. :p Obviously both are CPU limited at 1080p as they have similar performance on Intel CPUs, but NVidia just falls flat on its face on Ryzen.

Civ 6 at 8k and 16k, purely GPU limited at that point shows just a slight lead for Intel on Nvidia.

So, there's something quite obviously borked with NVidia drivers with some titles in Dx12 and Dx9 on Ryzen it looks like.

Regards,
SB
You can't type that, you'll have GoldenGraham and Raz over here telling you it's can't possibly be the nV drivers and that you've obviously failed to rule out every other eventuality before jumping to conclusions :LOL:

Nvidia want their GPU too run as fast as possible on any architecture. They have nothing to gain from their GPUs underperforming, that'll just make AMD GPUs look good. There is no way they deliberately gimp performance on Ryzen based systems. It's probably something less nefarious, like using non-temporal stores to a higher degree, which Ryzen seems to take issue with (or something similar which turns out to be a pathological case on Ryzen).

I expect the next set of Nvidia drivers to remedy the situation, especially now when reviewers start using Ryzen based kit to benchmark GPUs on.

Cheers

Regards,
SB

Maybe game better optimised for AMD, just like a few others out there swing either way as AMD does win in a few of the DX11 games that exist.
Look at the chart even under Intel; the 480 beats the GTX1080 even on the i5 7600K at 1080p.
It is possibly a game Nvidia has not bothered to address fully in DX11 as it is part of the game ready driver that also had BF1 and Titanfall 2.
Unless Ultra settings provides other heavy options specific to one of the manufacturers.

Just out of curiosity, is Civ 6 another game that had its DX11 engine 'modded' to be DX12 as part of its development?
If so that does seem to be a recurring theme where Nvidia generally is hurting (Hitman/Deus Ex/Total War Warhammer/etc), rather than when it is just developed as DX11 and DX12 more fully (Quantum Break being one of the exceptions it seems possibly due to its global illumination/volumetric lighting-shader heavily optimised on AMD hardware while under DX11 runs very well with Nvidia drivers).
Cheers

Last edited:
Well double checked, the lead Firaxis graphics engineer and another graphics engineer were key to the development of Civilization with Mantle/AMD, so probably a good chance this explains the performance/optimisation under AMD even for DX11 in Civ 6 as they have senior roles again in terms of graphics engineer responsibility.

Cheers

Maybe game better optimised for AMD, just like a few others out there swing either way as AMD does win in a few of the DX11 games that exist.
Look at the chart even under Intel; the 480 beats the GTX1080 even on the i5 7600K at 1080p.
It is possibly a game Nvidia has not bothered to address fully in DX11 as it is part of the game ready driver that also had BF1 and Titanfall 2.
Unless Ultra settings provides other heavy options specific to one of the manufacturers.

Just out of curiosity, is Civ 6 another game that had its DX11 engine 'modded' to be DX12 as part of its development?
If so that does seem to be a recurring theme where Nvidia generally is hurting (Hitman/Deus Ex/Total War Warhammer/etc), rather than when it is just developed as DX11 and DX12 more fully (Quantum Break being one of the exceptions it seems possibly due to its global illumination/volumetric lighting-shader heavily optimised on AMD hardware while under DX11 runs very well with Nvidia drivers).
Cheers

Which still doesn't explain why NVidia cards do just fine on Intel CPUs but performance drops massively on Ryzen. And certainly doesn't explain performance failing in Dx9 on Ryzen when CPU limited, either. Dx11 games appear to be the only ones unaffected by this effect as I haven't seen a report of a Dx11 game having abnormally low performance using an NVidia card on Ryzen. It's always possible though.

It's just bad drivers at the moment. Hopefully, it gets fixed soon.

Right now I'm just very very glad I haven't pulled the trigger on Ryzen yet as I play a lot of games that don't get benchmarked and I'd hate to have NVidia's drivers ruin my gaming experience until they get fixed. At this point Vega can't come out soon enough. And hopefully it's at least competitive at the high end, it'd be nice to have some options again. I usually try to keep my video cards around for at least 2 years, but OMG do I want to get rid of this 1070 ASAP. Of course, this is assuming that AMD doesn't bork the drivers for Vega somehow. /sigh.

Regards,
SB

Back