AMD announces FreeSync 2

Kaotik

Drunk Member
Legend
Supporter
AMD has announced FreeSync 2
http://www.amd.com/en-us/press-releases/Pages/freesync-2-2017jan04.aspx

In short, it's a new "display pipeline" for HDR-displays.
By default, HDR content is tone mapped twice, once by the app, and then by the monitor to fit it's spec (none of the HDR10 displays fill the entire spec anyway, most are nowhere near).
FreeSync 2 supporting pipeline (needs support from app, gfx card and monitor) eliminates the monitor tone mapping -step by doing it right the first time to fit that particular monitors spec, and thus lowering latency.

All FreeSync supporting Radeons support FreeSync 2 too, and all FreeSync 2 displays will support FreeSync, too.

More indepth: http://www.anandtech.com/show/10967...improving-ease-lowering-latency-of-hdr-gaming

If I was an overly religious man, I'd be praying to some deity right now that NVidia finally starts to think of its users and starts to support adaptive sync. I'm assuming that these changes for FreeSync 2 will eventually make it into the adaptive sync standard.

Regards,
SB

Has there been any new info on Freesync 2 that explains how the HDR chain works? Supposed to bypass display tone-mapping to lower input lag. Not sure how that works, because the display would have to somehow advertise its native color space to your video card drivers so your pc could tone-map to the native space of the monitor.

Monitors have advertised stuff for a long time. I think they have a better, newer way now or at least I hope so. It allows e.g. the OS to default at your monitor's max res. Part of this works well, as evidenced by the general lack of people running a stretched 1024x768 or 800x600 (people don't know or want to know) although it occasionally happens, mostly from using the default generic VGA driver on Windows 7.

Sometimes (i.e., at least half the time) the monitor had or has invalid or dummies values and feed that to your graphics driver.
There's also the .inf file for a monitor as method to "advertise" better data to Windows or the graphics driver, it was mostly useful on CRT monitors where suddenly Windows offers you 1024x768 120Hz and other options.

Recently, I think laptops and perhaps desktop monitors give their screen size to Windows and Windows sets the scaling percentage (for fonts and UI) to something it thinks is better (e.g. 100% scaling on 2560x1440 27", something else on 2560x1440 13")

So for HDR and/or 10bit : monitor advertises. If it doesn't work, you may curse and update the firmwares/drivers/Windows

@Blazkowicz

All good points. I really don't know much about hdmi/displayport handshaking, so it could very well be that they can pass this data as part of that. It actually makes a lot of sense.

Actually even without monitor drivers, they report way much thing.... open the graphic driver for example..

A copy of tab of the catalyst driver, monitor specification: ( no monitor driver installed ( generic one only ).. and that is just for the timing. (wired on DVI, even i could use DP and HDMI )

Synchronisation horizontale Totale - 2720

Synchronisation horizontale - Écran - 2560

Synchronisation horizontale - Palier avant - 48

Synchronisation horizontale - Largeur de synchronisation - 32

Synchronisation verticale total - 1481

Synchronisation verticale - Écran - 1440

Synchronisation verticale - Palier avant - 3

Synchronisation verticale - Largeur de synchronisation - 5

Synchronisation horizontale - Polarité - Positive

Synchronisation verticale - Polarité - Negative

Entrelacé/Progressif - Progressive

Horloge de pixels G. (KHz) - 241500

Taux de rafraîchissement G. (Hz) - 59.9506

État HDCP actuel - Disabled

Paramètres de liaison actuels - Not Available

see if you can find an inf file for your monitor

The thing is Asus have never released one...

Edit: well for stand corrected, i have a driver and ICC profile, it was released when windows 10 have been up, but i have not have it installed.

monitor%20driver_zpst3y9wy94.png

Last edited:
Monitors have advertised stuff for a long time. I think they have a better, newer way now or at least I hope so. It allows e.g. the OS to default at your monitor's max res. Part of this works well, as evidenced by the general lack of people running a stretched 1024x768 or 800x600 (people don't know or want to know) although it occasionally happens, mostly from using the default generic VGA driver on Windows 7.

Sometimes (i.e., at least half the time) the monitor had or has invalid or dummies values and feed that to your graphics driver.
There's also the .inf file for a monitor as method to "advertise" better data to Windows or the graphics driver, it was mostly useful on CRT monitors where suddenly Windows offers you 1024x768 120Hz and other options.

Recently, I think laptops and perhaps desktop monitors give their screen size to Windows and Windows sets the scaling percentage (for fonts and UI) to something it thinks is better (e.g. 100% scaling on 2560x1440 27", something else on 2560x1440 13")

So for HDR and/or 10bit : monitor advertises. If it doesn't work, you may curse and update the firmwares/drivers/Windows

Starting with Windows 8, Microsoft have been working to make sure that Windows defaults to reading the EDID information stored in the display. Assuming the display EDID is correct, everything works correctly. Prior to this Windows would only parse select parts of the monitors EDID information relying instead on default monitor INF files (usually PnP display) or INF files provided by a display manufacturer for inclusion in the Windows setup package (disk) or an INF file specified by the user. Now it will not use a monitor INF settings file unless explicitly told to do so by the user of the system.

Unfortunately display manufacturer's (TV and Monitor) don't always ensure that the EDID information for a particular display is correct. This can cause problems at times. Fortunately the information that is most often not correctly report is all supported resolutions. Fortunately monitor makers have gotten a lot better WRT to having correct EDID information in the display.

Regards,
SB

Unsurprisingly Samsung is the first to announce a FreeSync 2 HDR line of QLED monitors.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/09/samsung-qled-curved-hdr-gaming-monitors/
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3200...ts-in-a-wild-49-inch-samsung-hdr-monitor.html
https://www.cnet.com/uk/products/samsung-c49hg90/preview/

The 27" and 32" models are 2560x1440 while the 49" model is 3840x1080 (32:9). The 49" is a strange resolution, but basically works out to the equivalent of 2x 1920x1080 monitors side by side.

I believe they are all 144 Hz. Samsung claims a 1 ms response rate using VA panels (very impressive for VA) due to the QLED tech used.

They should be out before any competing HDR enabled Gsync monitors (Amazon has a release date of June 30).

Regards,
SB

va panel with low motion blur would be very nice. I wonder if they have backlight strobing as well. The overall brightness is still pretty low for HDR. I wonder how much hdr really stands out if the peak brightness is only 600nits. They need to be 1000 to be close to reference. I'm not sure I even care about 4k for my display. I'll most likely be watching streaming video, where I don't think 4k is really taken advantage of because of bitrates. More interested in HDR, and something like 1440p could be a nice spot for me, though it's probably better to go 1080p or 4k to avoid scaling if I get a scorpio console.

Those articles basically confirm that the monitor advertises it's color space to the game so they can tonemap directly to the monitor gamut instead of having the monitor tonemap again. Should be an appreciable reduction in input lag for HDR freesync2 screens. Only thing is, seems like games will have to support the feature. Hopefully the feature being available on Scorpio will mean most cross platform games will choose to support it.

Actually even without monitor drivers, they report way much thing.... open the graphic driver for example..

A copy of tab of the catalyst driver, monitor specification: ( no monitor driver installed ( generic one only ).. and that is just for the timing. (wired on DVI, even i could use DP and HDMI )

Synchronisation horizontale Totale - 2720

Synchronisation horizontale - Écran - 2560

Synchronisation horizontale - Palier avant - 48

Synchronisation horizontale - Largeur de synchronisation - 32

Synchronisation verticale total - 1481

Synchronisation verticale - Écran - 1440

Synchronisation verticale - Palier avant - 3

Synchronisation verticale - Largeur de synchronisation - 5

Synchronisation horizontale - Polarité - Positive

Synchronisation verticale - Polarité - Negative

Entrelacé/Progressif - Progressive

Horloge de pixels G. (KHz) - 241500

Taux de rafraîchissement G. (Hz) - 59.9506

État HDCP actuel - Disabled

Paramètres de liaison actuels - Not Available

Interesting soup of timings, I would say though they describe the signal sent by your graphics card :D of the sort the classic Powerstrip software was/is able to set up. This is what the monitor is fed, I don't think it is answering that to you - the main thing your monitor does is to gladly accept the signal and display a useful picture instead of something rude (OUT OF RANGE, CANNOT SYNC...)

On unix/linux command line there's a program called "cvt" to generate these numbers (and a help file/man page to know what the hell it is about. some other programs have fun names like "tr"). That means "Coordinated VESA timings". The second run is with "reduced blanking" (as you can see there's a little difference in presentation, with absolute numbers here instead of offsets) (thank you for your report, as I'm beginning to somewhat understand what these little numbers are about)

user@host ~ $ cvt 2560 1440 60
# 2560x1440 59.96 Hz (CVT 3.69M9) hsync: 89.52 kHz; pclk: 312.25 MHz
Modeline "2560x1440_60.00" 312.25 2560 2752 3024 3488 1440 1443 1448 1493 -hsync +vsync

user@host ~ $ cvt --reduced 2560 1440 60
# 2560x1440 59.95 Hz (CVT 3.69M9-R) hsync: 88.79 kHz; pclk: 241.50 MHz
Modeline "2560x1440R" 241.50 2560 2608 2640 2720 1440 1443 1448 1481 +hsync -vsync

For the sake of it, the "Generalized Timing Formula" was a former standard, works fine on CRT and perhaps similarly old LCD.
user@host ~$ gtf 2560 1440 60
# 2560x1440 @ 60.00 Hz (GTF) hsync: 89.40 kHz; pclk: 311.83 MHz
Modeline "2560x1440_60.00" 311.83 2560 2744 3024 3488 1440 1441 1444 1490 -HSync +Vsync

Last edited:
Unsurprisingly Samsung is the first to announce a FreeSync 2 HDR line of QLED monitors.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/09/samsung-qled-curved-hdr-gaming-monitors/
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3200...ts-in-a-wild-49-inch-samsung-hdr-monitor.html
https://www.cnet.com/uk/products/samsung-c49hg90/preview/

The 27" and 32" models are 2560x1440 while the 49" model is 3840x1080 (32:9). The 49" is a strange resolution, but basically works out to the equivalent of 2x 1920x1080 monitors side by side.

I believe they are all 144 Hz. Samsung claims a 1 ms response rate using VA panels (very impressive for VA) due to the QLED tech used.

They should be out before any competing HDR enabled Gsync monitors (Amazon has a release date of June 30).

Regards,
SB
something similar, non curved and at around 40-42" would have me very hyped. 32" is the size of my current display and I love it. 49" is too much for the space I have. And since I have a 32" display I want more because I know how beneficial it is without getting one too large for the limited space I have in my room

another friend of mine wanted to sell a r390 to the friend who is mining and he told him he didn't want it, because with a 1000W power supply, he could have 6 or 7 RX 570 or RX 580, while with that one because of power consumption, he could only use 2 or so.

Of course. But none of this is applicable in the context.

eastmen likely already has his 290x, so he wouldnt have to recouperate his investment. If you already have your 290x, why not make $100/month ? Also 570s & 580s are just a myth, not a material product anymore :) .At the most you can find them at astronomical prices, making them not worth it.

I bought 200$ of bitcoin in 2010, sold them couple of weeks of ago, and now sitting on $150M.

To celebrate, 1080Tis for everyone on B3D!

I wish. :p

Vega for me please! nVidia can't do Adaptive Sync.

_______
Anyways, somewhat on topic. Has everyone else noticed nVidia cards shortages lately? I do wonder why no news about it. Friday I just wenty to lunch before placing my order, and when i ' ve returned, most of the 1070s in the country were simply sold off. Only those over 400 Euros remaining.
Granted, the situation is not as dire as for AMD but still clicks are click; rumor sites should welcome them

Last edited:
Yup , i din't check my facts. The context was not serious one (i was replying to someone who offered to give us nVidia 1080Ti for free) so i guess i will not suffer the full punishment.

But anyway on nVidia page it lists cards supporting adaptive sync and 1xxx series is completly missing. Maybe I was right by accident?

Back