Microsoft Xbox One X Scorpio Price Prediction and Reaction

Predict Scorpio's launch price:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I love how wide spread this poll is.

But still, we do have a consensus it won't be above 500. :LOL:

Changed my vote, I go for extremely slim chances, but crazy high stakes. If I win, I win BIG.

Last edited:
But we're told Sony can drop the price of 4Pro down to $349 or lower, by some folks.

Why not? A year after launch the machine should be cheaper to produce. Still doesn't stop the fact Scorpio has quite a bit more inside vs Pro (a year down the line all that extra tech is going to be more than $50)

I'm not 100% sure why Scorpio would be so much more expensive than PS4 Pro. Main things are the drive, the RAM and the bus-width for the RAM? Cooling solution? Premium finish?
add to your list
hdd 1tb 7200rpm (I believe)
soc
pretty much every part in the console just listed as more expensive :runaway:

Why wouldn't they? They are selling for $399 right now from Target and Gamestop. I don't think $349 is an insane bet for the Scorpio launch window, do you?

No. I was pointing out that if the 4Pro is $349 then even with $100 more the Scorpio would only be $449. Or do the same folks think Scorpio is more than $150 more than a 4Pro?

I'm looking at the prices of the Pro in the UK now - you can get a Pro + HZD for less than £350. Assuming the $1=£1 exchange rate we have MS are going to have a hard time selling Scorpio for $499, if that's what it launches at. Reckon they'll have to look aim a bit lower.

It's not a huge difference when you look at the DF info...

Power supply is smaller (245W vs 310W), but it's probably the same price since using it so close to it's rating requires a more expensive higher-efficiency design. Possibly balances out. It's one way of doing it.

Vapor chamber cost is overrated, it's supposed to be the same cost as a 3 or 4 pipes design. PS4 Pro has 3 pipes.

Fan is very similar. Heat sink itself is a bit bigger, not a big deal in costs.

UHD bluray was +$20 last year (cutting edge), this difference might be less at the end of 2017.

Additional GDDR5 can't be more than $20.

SoC is 360 mm2 versus 310 mm2

The SoC Yield is the biggest question mark. It could be less than expected because they used the Noise Lottery method.

Definitely more than +$50, but I can't really see a situation where it would be more than a +$100. unless there's a yield issue worse than the launch PS3's Cell.

So $349 4Pro vs $449 Scorpio?

IMHO as they went for Jaguar that keeps the price lower. I'm expecting $450 (or maybe $500) and the Pro may drop for $350 if it comes in at $450, maybe not day one - I guess Sony will react if they feel they need to.

I can't see Sony dropping the price if MS launch at $500 and I really can't see MS hitting $400. I think MS have been quite clear this is more about beating performance than beating price.

I don't think their going to sell at a loss.
so saying that, let's say your right and it's more than $50 bom.
do you think they would sell it at an odd price like $460, or more likely to round it up, give head room for holiday price cuts, knowing that the Xbox early adopters and their core audience will snap it up for the first 3-6 months or so, 1st half of 2018, know idea how long.

the thing is, every little thing that's slightly more expensive adds up.
I keep hearing basically $399 its drop the mike, sells really well to everyone, etc etc etc.
sure they want good sales, but the core will probably guarantee it at a slightly higher price.
guess we'll see just how aggressive their going to be, as that's the only reason to start so low.

I don't think their going to sell at a loss.
so saying that, let's say your right and it's more than $50 bom.
do you think they would sell it at an odd price like $460, or more likely to round it up, give head room for holiday price cuts, knowing that the Xbox early adopters and their core audience will snap it up for the first 3-6 months or so, 1st half of 2018, know idea how long.

the thing is, every little thing that's slightly more expensive adds up.
I keep hearing basically $399 its drop the mike, sells really well to everyone, etc etc etc.
sure they want good sales, but the core will probably guarantee it at a slightly higher price.
guess we'll see just how aggressive their going to be, as that's the only reason to start so low.

It's an interesting point, too high and MS could be seen as fleecing their biggest fans - in a way I can't see them releasing at one price then dropping within or about 6 months, it'd upset the early adopters and make the system look like a failure IMO.

The other issue on price is XBO - that's $250 right? So if they release a 4x console @ less than double the price does XBO die? The difference between PS4 to Pro and XBO to Scorpio is that the difference will be clear for all to see.

Typical deal price for XBOS is $200 - $220, so Scorpio at $449 is still 2x the price.

it's not about fleecing, it's about the sku's and the time frames that there released.
x1s release was staggered, maybe for only couple months, but for that time only the expensive 2tb limited edition was available, and even though people knew cheaper sku was incoming it still sold.

so it shows that early for adopters are willing to pay more.

I have know idea how much still, hence why not voted yet, but if their able to show visible difference in games without having to blow pics up 500%, then I can easily see it selling just fine at a higher price point, especially at launch

The reason Sony gave for not including the UHD Blu-ray drive in Pro was that they really wanted to hit that $399 price point, so even if that is not the full truth I have to assume their margins aren't that great with the Pro. In general these mid gen consoles are top end premium models in their ranges and selling premium products for thin margins kind of defeats the purpose. Typically a certain differences in POM doesn't translate 1 to 1 to the end price, but gets inflated as a percentage.

Now there is still a chance that MS wants to be aggressive with the Scorpio, because they are kind of fighting back to achieve better market and mind share, but I'll believe it when I see it.

The reason Sony gave for not including the UHD Blu-ray drive in Pro was that they really wanted to hit that $399 price point, so even if that is not the full truth I have to assume their margins aren't that great with the Pro. In general these mid gen consoles are top end premium models in their ranges and selling premium products for thin margins kind of defeats the purpose. Typically a certain differences in POM doesn't translate 1 to 1 to the end price, but gets inflated as a percentage.

Now there is still a chance that MS wants to be aggressive with the Scorpio, because they are kind of fighting back to achieve better market and mind share, but I'll believe it when I see it.

I think for MS to get near to Pro price ($50) they will have to lose money per unit, I think with MS (seemingly) selling this as a '4K XBO experience' I can't see them losing money per unit. This whole exercise seems to be about lip service to their core fans.

Back