What are you playing now? (console edition) [2011 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I'm at the halfway point of Nioh's campaign right now. It's a long game. That's largely due to some heavy padding, though. Mostly it's sidequests which see you revisit old areas at a different time of day. Most of what separates Nioh from big daddy Souls is for the worse unfortunately: loot drops are ridiculusly frequent, yet mostly meaningless. It also quickly turns inventory management into a giant chore. The story is more in your face here, yet it couldn't be more forgettable if it tried. This isn't the enjoyable Team Ninja cheese of old. Instead it's more akin to the dry presentation of a Dynasty Warriors game, only with less outlandish characters and a lot more mumbling about honor. There's not a great deal of enemy variety either. I also think the gulf in difficulty between the levels and the bosses can be rather absurd. Speaking about levels: these aren't forming a massive interconnected world like they do in a Souls game, so exploration is nowhere near as rewarding. The designers could have used this to their advantage by crafting a lot of really distinct locations. Instead it's mostly just variations of Japanese villages and castles.

All in all I'm rather disappointed so far. I like the Ki-Pulse mechanic, the precise hit boxes, and the tight controls. Otherwise this thing isn't anywhere near the same league as From's titles. It's as if Lords of the Fallen (which I actually prefer in some aspects) had come out again, only with massive amounts of inexplicable hype behind it this time.

Last edited:
I think I'm at the halfway point of Nioh's campaign right now. It's a long game. That's largely due to some heavy padding, though. Mostly it's sidequests which see you revisit old areas at a different time of day. Most of what separates Nioh from big daddy Souls is for the worse unfortunately: loot drops are ridiculusly frequent, yet mostly meaningless. It also quickly turns inventory management into a giant chore. The story is more in your face here, yet it couldn't be more forgettable if it tried. This isn't the enjoyable Team Ninja cheese of old. Instead it's more akin to the dry presentation of a Dynasty Warriors game, only with less outlandish characters and a lot more mumbling about honor. There's not a great deal of enemy variety either. I also think the gulf in difficulty between the levels and the bosses can be rather absurd. Speaking about levels: these aren't forming a massive interconnected world like they do in a Souls game, so exploration is nowhere near as rewarding. The designers could have used this to their advantage by crafting a lot of really distinct locations. Instead it's mostly just variations of Japanese villages and castles.

All in all I'm rather disappointed so far. I like the Ki-Pulse mechanic, the precise hit boxes, and the tight controls. Otherwise this thing isn't anywhere near the same league as From's titles. It's as if Lords of the Fallen (which I actually prefer in some aspects) had come out again, only with massive amounts of inexplicable hype behind it this time.

Oh it made me so mad I almost threw the controller at the TV. But it's definitely a good game :)

It is a good game. I just don't think it's quite the nine-outa-ten-great game the media claims it is. More like a strong 7 to a light 8.

Last edited:
Playing Demon's Souls again (with a guide this time in order to play it the easy way).

This game is incredibly good and very similar to Bloodborne. It's probably the best PS3 game IMO.

Mass Effect Andromeda and Zelda. Mostly Zelda because the only time I've had to game is while travelling.

Finished Horizon Zero Dawn. Such a great game, with great story and perfect gameplay. Graphics are insane, facial animations could use a bit work. Although open world, it felt very dense and alive and I never got bored. The story telling was also quite dense...naisuuu.

Highly recommended imo.

Mass Effect 2.
My first ever experience with the Mass Effect franchise.
Is this it?
I played for about 3 hours. Obtained exactly zero enjoyment from it. Uninstalled.
I don't get you kids these days.

I'm about 30 hours into Yakuza 0. Totally addicted as well. They talk an awful lot in that game too. The writing is uniformly excellent, though. So not a big problem. What's also surprsingly excellent is all the various mini games. The Hostess Club Czar one is particularly involved and entertaining. I'm also really liking how all the seemingly disparate parts of this gloriously insane package are neatly tied together (both thematically and in terms of gameplay) by the lifeblood of the era: cold, hard cash. Everything you do earns you some; you literally need it for everything; and as some of it can get ludicrously expensive, you'll be needing an awful lot of it too. My second GotY contender next to Re7. Japan is killing it again, and it makes me really happy.

Last edited:
Resistance 2 because this is the only Resistance I did not play thrice :love: !
View attachment 1959

A criminally underrated gem, imho.

I loved all three Resistance games, but for different reasons.

R1 - was the campaign, the vehicles and the cool setting.
R2 - was the campaign's craziness, the increase in graphical fidelity, the gunplay and dat Coop Mode.
R3 - the god-tier campaign and beautiful end to the story also better protagonist (best FPS campaign of the gen next to KZ2).

Edit:
Still playing Horizon: Zero Dawn and loving it!
GG are a top-tier dev. I knew it with KZ2 and now everyone else knows it with this game :)

A criminally underrated gem, imho.

I loved all three Resistance games, but for different reasons.

R1 - was the campaign, the vehicles and the cool setting.
R2 - was the campaign's craziness, the increase in graphical fidelity, the gunplay and dat Coop Mode.
R3 - the god-tier campaign and beautiful end to the story also better protagonist (best FPS campaign of the gen next to KZ2).

Edit:
Still playing Horizon: Zero Dawn and loving it!
GG are a top-tier dev. I knew it with KZ2 and now everyone else knows it with this game :)

Agree!

Resistance 3 is so damn good I replay it whenever I plugin my ps3. One of the best campaigns with an almost impossible to achieve balance of seeming realistic in atmosphere while still having crazy enemies, awesome bossfights and crazy weapons ! The fact that it was a wedding gift from Patsu from B3D here makes it even more special :love: ! Also, Resistance 1 was my first online I game I played with B3D here !
Resistance 1 also is just too good a game ! I had bought a ps3 for Uncharted but ended up buying and enjoying R1 much much more ! I played R1 at a kiosk and fell in love and it became my first ps3 game even though I bought the ps3 when it dropped the ps2 hardware and brought in the cheaper sku.
Sony+Insomniac: please some franchises have the magic ! please don't kill this partnership !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back