Digital Foundry Microsoft Xbox Scorpio Reveal [2017: 04-06, 04-11, 04-15, 04-16]

I've been thinking a bit about how MS got to 6TF. It wasn't how I expected, I expected something like 64 CU's at ~900mhz since we've all been conditioned to expect low console clocks.

It occurs to me maybe this was about cost? By going with a narrower GPU clocked high, you save on die size. You also take a hit on yields.

You'd think you then pay more for cooling possibly canceling out the benefit, but I wonder if you end up netting savings. 360mm^2 die seems pretty svelte.

Or I wonder if it was more driven by AMD not sure they would have more than ~40 CU's parts available in time for 2017 launch?

Just difficult to say all around. The apparent lack of Vega is puzzling.

Maybe Microsoft have more confidence/expertise in hardware now?

I mean look at the components. The build quality seems pretty good for a console...

5c8154cd-3bc4-418e-9ea6-eaba22b5b013.jpg

PR went batshit crazy here. Supercharger-style to describe a centrifugal fan, WTF? High static pressure at low rpm is the goal, compression itself is a side effect, i.e it must counteract flow resistance, and the drawback is precisely that it DOESN'T sucks air as rapidly (lower CFM at the same rpm and diameter, specially backward slanted blades)

But the rest of the sentence is true, max cooling for minimum noise, and a lot of MS fanboys should feel shame for their claims against blower fans.

Shame... Shame... Shame....
I still like axial!! Foreverrrrrrrr ! :)

Late to the party. Sorry.

My take is that it seems that MS used a relatively small amount of hardware/metal more than the PS4 Pro (10-20%?) while getting 40-50% more power. That seems like a nice win.

I see this retailing at $399USD. I also see it as an extension of this generation rather than a new one.

Random first thoughts.

Late to the party. Sorry.

My take is that it seems that MS used a relatively small amount of hardware/metal more than the PS4 Pro (10-20%?) while getting 40-50% more power. That seems like a nice win.

I see this retailing at $399USD. I also see it as an extension of this generation rather than a new one.

Random first thoughts.
nailed it.

I think tomorrow everyone is going to have clearer heads. Or at least by next week. I've been disappointed at my lack of guess work on this one ;) It's like the information was all there, but I couldn't piece it together.

But the abundance of anchor bias is clear (across the web).
More expectations and hope on using newer technology, and just outright dismissal of the performance possible with older technology. I think over time people will come around and with new information be interested in how MS accomplished this.

If it includes keyboard and mouse support by default in both the OS and games, then I'd get it for sure. Which means, I'm "probably definitely" [:)] not getting it.

Still, I'm intrigued how this is going to go. I'm far FAR more intrigued with what MS are going to do after this. Whether they go with a rolling generation or they do a hard generation split.

Damnit, RL stuff. Hard to focus when new interesting info (even if not complete) is released.

Regards,
SB

I'd heard that it's supposed to be same size as the x1s or maybe even smaller, but i didn't give it to much credence, but it does seem to be the case.

Whose going to place some bets (Vegas has to have them, they let you bet on anything) that we'll see another RRoD situation with the tremendously overclocked SoC and the extremely unique and customized cooling solution?

It'll either work fantastic... or, it won't. Odds?

Whose going to place some bets (Vegas has to have them, they let you bet on anything) that we'll see another RRoD situation with the tremendously overclocked SoC and the extremely unique and customized cooling solution?

It'll either work fantastic... or, it won't. Odds?

I'll go on a limb and cover both bases and say 50/50...lol

Balance Is Back !!! The motherboard being balanced to the SOC to manage power sounds interesting. The boost in speed seems great and those extra mhz will be welcomed. All in all a great job. $500 would be the floor I would assume but I think it hits a good spot between ps4 pro and PC with this year's components.

More like mediocrity is back. The Scorpio has turned out to be pretty mundane.

Also, I think increasing RAM from 8 to 12GB was the right move and I wish Sony had done the same with the Pro.

They shouldn't have launched with less than 16GB, IMO. What is the use of a machine to produce 4K graphics if there is not enough memory for 4K resolution textures?

hmm IDK sounds like pr talk about the cpu. if they really wanted to impress they should have showed 2 impressive games running at 60fps that were running at 30fps on the xbox1.

Wait, so the new Scorpio isn't even using the new AMD Ryzen CPU? Its just an upgraded Jaguar CPU? Xbox Scorpio fail confirmed. LOL Kidding of course. Looks like a really nice piece of tech to me. In a way, It think the Scorpio and PS4 Pro deliver what consumers were expecting from the base models back in 2013. Not 4K, but the ability to deliver 1080p visuals at 60fps. I think a lot of people were surprised just how many games still run at sub 1080p and 30fps with the PS4 and X1. Im sure the core Xbox fans will be chomping at the bit to get their hands on a Scorpio later this year.

30FPS in every single game (except VR of course) would be perfectly fine for me. I also have zero desire for 4K resolution. I want to see how far developers can push towards photorealism at 1080P and 30FPS.

Back