Digital Foundry Microsoft Xbox Scorpio Reveal [2017: 04-06, 04-11, 04-15, 04-16]

No ID Buffer ?
I was under the impression that the ID buffer hardware in Pro was the result of Sony's design input. If so, whilst this may filter into future GCN products, wouldn't it have been a bit weird for Sony's work to benefit their immediate console competitor? At least so quickly.

Hovis Method - the new cloud power.
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/project-scorpio - this page is laughable.
Scorpio Engine
With 6 Teraflops, 326GB/s Memory Bandwidth and advanced, custom silicon, the Scorpio Engine is most powerful gaming processor ever created.
Vapor Chamber
A first for home consoles, Project Scorpio’s Vapor Chamber uses advanced liquid cooling to ensure the Scorpio Engine stays cool.
Centrifugal Fan
A supercharger-style Centrifugal Fan rapidly pulls in and compresses air to deliver maximum cooling with minimum noise.
Hovis Method
To maximize performance and minimize power consumption, Project Scorpio uses the Hovis Method, a cutting edge digital power delivery system that custom tunes each console’s voltage.
(aka noise lottery)

Lol. For one, they never claim that the "Hovis Method" is creating some massive performance boost. In my eyes it's more to make the console sound premium, like every single one of them is individually tuned. I actually know of this being done in other products, but I don't know if it's something that's typically done on cheap electronics.

Scorpio engine description has been updated:
With 6 Teraflops, 326GB/s of Memory Bandwidth and advanced, custom silicon, the Scorpio Engine is the most powerful console gaming processor ever created.

Without the word console, it makes it sound deceitful. With the word console, then the statement about it being the most powerful console gaming processor is probably true.

Software "cloud 2" features ?

I guess this is going to be the new talking point for killjoys?

Here is the entire section on the "hovis method" from the digital foundry piece.
"One of the things we do is we basically fine tune the voltages for each of the chips and optimise them so the chips are getting exactly what they need to get the job done... That drives a much higher degree of efficiency into the system and allows us to get rid of a lot of wasted power that would otherwise come out as heat."

It's a technique that Microsoft calls the 'Hovis method', named after the engineer who developed it. Every single Scorpio Engine processor that comes off TSMC's production line will have its own specific power profile. Rather than adopt a sub-optimal one-size-fits-all strategy, Microsoft tailors the board to match the chip.

I'm not seeing any grandiose claims here. They're just talking about using a specific method for voltage tuning in their circuits so they can minimize power consumption which can lead to optimizing performance. Don't see why any of that is particularly out of line.

Edit: Edited my post because Rikimaru had quoted the description from the webpage and it was updated by the time I replied to him.

Last edited:
Lol. For one, they never claim that the "Hovis Method" is creating some massive performance boost. In my eyes it's more to make the console sound premium, like every single one of them is individually tuned. I actually know of this being done in other products, but I don't know if it's something that's typically done on cheap electronics.
Also, nice edit above on scorpio engine. The real quote is:
Yah, if you drop the world console, it makes it sound deceitful. If you keep the word console, then the statement about it being the most powerful console gaming processor is probably true.
I did not edit anything. Copy-paste from page. Means they changed wording later.
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:NMi7hiAi_N4J:www.xbox.com/en-us/project-scorpio&num=1&strip=1&vwsrc=0
isn't FP16 mandatory in recent gpus ? Why would it be absent from Scorpio ?
PS4 Pro has double rate FP16. Which means processing 2 FP16 numbers simultaneously.

For one, they never claim that the "Hovis Method" is creating some massive performance boost. In my eyes it's more to make the console sound premium, like every single one of them is individually tuned. I actually know of this being done in other products, but I don't know if it's something that's typically done on cheap electronics.
I did a brief googling and LinkedIn check for a related patent and came up empty. I'm not sure a whole lot of tuning of switching power supplies matters. Luck out and buy a console with 50mV lower voltages that runs cooler? It sounds more like AVFS (adaptive voltage) introduced with Polaris. I'm not sure what else gets tuned for any real benefit if clocks are already being dialed down like that.

Has anybody tried a mic in the controller? You'd need to noise cancel the clicky-clacking of sticks, button presses and vibration of rumble. It's not an impossible task but it wouldn't be my first choice.

Doesn't seem like any problem at all compared to the crap my Amazon echo (or other voice recognition tech, Siri/Google) have to put up with. Like speaking in a loud driving car, music. or over whooshing fans or whatever else is going on in the real world. Discrete, not loud, clicks and clacks would be easy to deal with by comparison.

Scorpio engine description has been updated:

Without the word console, it makes it sound deceitful. With the word console, then the statement about it being the most powerful console gaming processor is probably true.

I guess this is going to be the new talking point for killjoys?

Here is the entire section on the "hovis method" from the digital foundry piece.

I'm not seeing any grandiose claims here. They're just talking about using a specific method for voltage tuning in their circuits so they can minimize power consumption which can lead to optimizing performance. Don't see why any of that is particularly out of line.

Unless MS is not referring to this Hovis who works at IBM and has patents from regarding improved manufacturing of finfet transistors, I doubt the method is used by cheap devices.

http://patents.justia.com/patent/20050201188

The current invention teaches methods and apparatus to improve delay margins of logic paths on a semiconductor chip by dynamically controlling a supply voltage value to be as high as possible within a voltage range for the chip and without causing the chip to operate at a temperature in excess of a limit temperature chosen by a designer...Sometimes, the low limit voltage is determined by performance characteristics of a particular chip; e.g., if the particular chip is known to be “slow” based on performance screen ring oscillator testing, that particular chip may have a slightly higher low voltage limit than a “fast” chip in order to operate reliably at a particular frequency. The high limit voltage is advantageously chosen to be at or near a maximum allowable voltage above which degradation or damage to the chip would occur. However, any suitable choices for the high limit voltage and the low limit voltage are contemplated. Typical logic paths on semiconductor chips, in particular, CMOS (Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor), have less delay at a higher supply voltage than at a lower supply voltage. Therefore, operating the chip at as high a voltage as possible within the voltage range specified for the chip, without exceeding the limit temperature, reduces logic path delays and improves a timing margin on the semiconductor chip.

Last edited:
OK you are inferring a lot from the article that just isn't there. You are also saying the GPU tech is inferior to Ps4pro without any real facts to back that up.
How in anyway do you except inferior GPU performance from a machine that clearly has an advantage in CUs and clock speed compared to the pro. That really sounds like a case of bias to me.

The Scorpio is clearly a more powerful box than the pro in every way possible. The Scorpio will more likely hit native 4k much more often than the Pro because of its advantage in memory bandwidth alone. Now factor in 40% + GPU advantage as well as the CPU clock advantage and it becomes pretty obvious that the Scorpio is in no way inferior to the ps4pro.

Plus what have we seen from Pro in real world performance? Checkerboards for all basically, you get a checkerboard and you get a checkerboard and you get a checkerboard... Whereas Microsoft is talking explicit native 4K. I think the real world bears it out which GPU is better performance (well, the numbers obviously, the memory bandwidth alone).

That said I really dont think the focus on strict 4K is necessarily good for Scorpio, at least it isn't bound there.

The reveal pretty much was on the low end of possibilities though, in the strict sense of no Zen and possibly no Vega. That said, 2.3 ghz/6 TF's are the important foundation things and they are there.

I did a brief googling and LinkedIn check for a related patent and came up empty. I'm not sure a whole lot of tuning of switching power supplies matters. Luck out and buy a console with 50mV lower voltages that runs cooler? It sounds more like AVFS (adaptive voltage) introduced with Polaris. I'm not sure what else gets tuned for any real benefit if clocks are already being dialed down like that.

Fine gained power control across the SoC might allow you to use slightly more power on the GPU and slightly less on the CPU, or vice versa. Put something like that - I'm not sure how many different power planes there are on a huge, complex SoC.

Anyway, you might be able to increase yields while maintaining acceptable range of power in a way you couldn't previously.

Also, more tolerant chips might be able to use simplified or cheapified components on the board. 360 chip revisions often shared boards but with components omitted from the board.

If there cost of tailoring the board to the chip was less than the cost of throwing away good dies, why not do it?

Doesn't seem like any problem at all compared to the crap my Amazon echo (or other voice recognition tech, Siri/Google) have to put up with. Like speaking in a loud driving car, music. or over whooshing fans or whatever else is going on in the real world.

Your homework is to think about why the other items you mention which do noise cancellation cost a fair bit more and have their own processing capability.

a couple points.
this is DF, they never do in one article what they can do in 3, so expect more information to come. They even said so themselves. Whether that's more positive or just bit more detail who knows. They never actually directly mention gpu type, where they did cpu, probably leaving a deeper dive for another article. It's just the way they do it.

i think it was a mistake on ms not providing direct feed of couple games, forza 6, halo/gears at least with 4k assets. I can understand why they may not want to as they are far from the best Scorpio can do, as not optimized for it.
but it would've still been impressive, especially when you see the gpu & mem usage.
to me that screenshot looked good.

DF is going to milk this and that's their prerogative, that's the risk ms took. But no media is crazy.

Your homework is to think about why the other items you mention which do noise cancellation cost a fair bit more and have their own processing capability.

My Echo dot cost $50 and is routinely on sale for $40. I'm not sure how much processing it does, mostly sends it over the web for a translation sent back I think, as it wont work if you lose internet, and if you use voice recognition on a phone you'll notice a slight delay as it sends your words off for processing. Surely packs some cheap phone SOC.

i think it was a mistake on ms not providing direct feed of couple games, forza 6, halo/gears at least with 4k assets. I can understand why they may not want to as they are far from the best Scorpio can do, as not optimized for it.
but it would've still been impressive, especially when you see the gpu & mem usage.

Agreed. The only Forza TestDemo that supposedly took 2 days to build could leave some a bit uneasy.

Back