Xbox Scorpio Hardware Prediction Thread [April 2017 Revision]

Can the B3D gestalt accurately predict Scorpio hardware?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hardware looks promising.

Capture.png

I read that shinobi predicted the launch of Horizon Zero Dawn and the announcement of Scorpio before nobody did, and he is totally unbiased.

But you think they would bother to optimize for Zen which is in a niche/premium* product that, best case scenario, sells 20 million devices the next 3.5 years?

*according to Spencer

Well bulldozer is what 8 years old and the kat cores (starting with bobcat ) are about the same. Zen is the replacement for both of those lines. It will be in everything from tablets to servers. Its in AMD's best intrest to get a lot of software optimized for it and better yet Xbox now runs the windows 10 kernel so it would be in their best interest to get Zen into MS's platform so that MS itself optimizes it let alone all the game devs. Better windows performance and game performance will help sell zen on the pc side.

now there could be other factors for why it wouldn't make it in to big , not ready , maybe to much power. But there are reasons why they would want it in also

Vega GPU with 7+ TFlops
12GB RAM
Multiple special "engines" to take some of the load off the GPU/CPU.
4K Bluray Drive

I don't think it'll be Jaguar but I don't think it'll be Zen either. I think it'll be some crazy revised Cat-core.

I think it will likely be the weakest Ryzen chip they could use. Only going up to 6-7Tflop -- unless there is a miracle -- would only require maybe a doubling of the power a Jaguar can provide.

Power Draw of a Ryzen 1800x (8core/16 thread) with different voltage/frequency

03.png

It looks promising, but I think the main limitation right now for MS and Scorpio will be cost and size for the ryzen cpus.

Power Draw of a Ryzen 1800x (8core/16 thread) with different voltage/frequency

03.png

It looks promising, but I think the main limitation right now for MS and Scorpio will be cost and size for the ryzen cpus.

The way I see it, Microsoft should go for a $499-599 console but make it top of the line in the console world. A weak Ryzen CPU, a 7TFlop GPU, 12GB of ultra fast RAM, a larger slower pool of memory for 4K textures, and a few dozen special move engines to take the load off the CPU/GPU would clearly differentiate the Scorpio from the PS4Pro. When 7nm becomes available in a couple years, they can make a slim version and drop the price.

I wonder, if Scorpio isn't what people expect, will they make the next logical move and buy a computer having the parts they wanted for Scorpio ?

But a PC doesn't have a secret sauce that you can speculate about :p

I wonder, if Scorpio isn't what people expect, will they make the next logical move and buy a computer having the parts they wanted for Scorpio ?

If most games were still available on CD or some other off-line medium and capable of being bought in retail stores, I'd be interested in PC gaming. However, I refuse to go down the digital download path. If I pay 50 plus dollars for a game, I want to own something physical that means I can always install it into my machine not matter what. If I do eventually buy another console, I won't have it online -- ever -- unless my computer died and I had to use its web browser.

If most games were still available on CD or some other off-line medium and capable of being bought in retail stores, I'd be interested in PC gaming. However, I refuse to go down the digital download path. If I pay 50 plus dollars for a game, I want to own something physical that means I can always install it into my machine not matter what. If I do eventually buy another console, I won't have it online -- ever -- unless my computer died and I had to use its web browser.

offtopic but games receive so much patches these days that you would not want to play a vanilla disc version anyway. Mass Effect, Final Fantasy, as well as other high profile titles come to mind. I also buy physical btw, if I don't like a game I can always sell it. Plus I like disc noises :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back