Formula 1 - 2017 Season

The major problem was not the peak HP though, it was the sustainability of the MGU power - they often were running out of electrical power on the longer straights because they can't harvest and directly use the electrical power.

The 2017 season has just about launched and not a single post in here? Or are all just shocked at the prospect of how dominant Mercedes might turn out to be again?

The McLaren/Honda disappointment is denting the season for me and while it seems Hamilton is out ahead, Ferrari can scrap with Bottas and maybe, just maybe Red Bull can get in there too.

But overall for me, it is so hard to watch because Honda seemingly can't build an engine which works properly in a racing car. Who could have known there were vibrations?

I watched Quali 5AM this morning but then had to go earning money and stuff.
I'm quite excited for new season and was pleased to see Ferrari within spitting distance of Lewis's car, but the jury is tomorrow!

I'm also sad for McLaren as I was hoping they would join top 3 and fight it off this season in style, but it seems the most I can expect is to follow how close to Hass their car can be at the end of this season :( BTW Hass, and especially Grosjean, did really well to get up to 6th spot for tomorrow!

Well, first race done and dusted.

Vettel succeeded well with the new "overcut strategy", passing Hamilton on pits.
Hamilton wrecked his tires too quickly after the start trying to reap some distance between him & Vettel (Bottas had no issues with same tyres)
Bottas did a steady job, and closed in on Hamilton towards end. Whether his tires started going downhill, team told not to challenge or the critique about the cars is true couldn't challenge him sadly
Räikkönen brought home points, according to interview they knew his settings weren't fine already yesterday and how to fix it, too, but it was too late to change anything.
Verstappen says he was faster than Kimi, but with the new cars there's no chance of overtaking, according to him once you get within 2 seconds of the one in front you're screwed.

I found the race to be fairly boring. Swapping first place happened in the pits and not much happened on track apart from a couple of force India overtakes.

It's good Mercedes didn't run off into the distance again but I'm afraid the better tyres and more aero are going to make the racing more boring again.

Good they can go flat out but what use is that without overtaking?

The tyres probably aren't a horribly bad idea if they'd stick with the old aero.

Last season the field was pretty close. Given more mechanical grip we could have seen a lot more overtaking this year as well.

I'm also a bit worried about tires being so durable.

Not only will we see less strategic mistakes / materpieces (one could say that's not racing). But it may mean that there are less position changes between drivers in a race. This could feel static.

Armchair expert here but I believe that is common practice. There are lots of parts and verifying performance in pieces is probably a lot more practical than putting the whole thing together right from the start.

Programming, engineering, everything is done step by step.

But, as Honda found out just because something works on its own doesn't mean there won't be any problems once you put everything together.

The more shocking part is that going by that article it would appear they didn't really put the whole drivetrain on a dyno before putting it into the car.

Armchair expert here but I believe that is common practice. There are lots of parts and verifying performance in pieces is probably a lot more practical than putting the whole thing together right from the start.

Programming, engineering, everything is done step by step.

But, as Honda found out just because something works on its own doesn't mean there won't be any problems once you put everything together.

The more shocking part is that going by that article it would appear they didn't really put the whole drivetrain on a dyno before putting it into the car.
Yes, it's fine testing at the beginning in different parts but at some point you have to assemble the whole thing and that has to be before it is put into the car for the first time. It just has to be. I am absolutely astonished they didn't do that.

I was fine with them just having problems, but this ... they have totally just been either super arrogant or super stupid.

One cylinder thing is all about creating the simplest area to optimize the combustion process and get the maximum per-cylinder power. They then scaled that up to 6 cylinders and noted that it wasn't working as expected on the dyno, and then saw further vibration issues when it was mounted in the car via the full power-train. The last step is something they stated they need to work better at on mimicking on the dyno.

One cylinder thing is all about creating the simplest area to optimize the combustion process and get the maximum per-cylinder power. They then scaled that up to 6 cylinders and noted that it wasn't working as expected on the dyno, and then saw further vibration issues when it was mounted in the car via the full power-train. The last step is something they stated they need to work better at on mimicking on the dyno.
And you don't find it unbelievable that they didn't dyno the full v6 earlier?

nope, thats the thing, honda have been running on insainly short timelines, this engine only started development last year. There entire return to F1 has been rushed.
It's still insane and really unprofessional.

It's like going to get a haircut and saying to the barber: hey only cut one hair and then let me see so I can judge the haircut. Okay that hair is fine, do the rest now in the same way
That's going to be an ugly haircut and not what you wanted

A comfortable win for Lewis in China in the end.

I reckon the best three drivers on the grid were on that podium.

Equally those #2 drivers, go Finland!

Back