Xbox Scorpio Hardware Prediction Thread [April 2017 Revision]

Can the B3D gestalt accurately predict Scorpio hardware?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
AMD wants to forget Bulldozer architectures ASAP and they want developers to work with Zen at all costs.

There are already +80milion devices which work with Bulldozer, if there is that big a difference (for AMD) then I could see developers actually wanting Scorpio to have bulldozer as well, as they have learned to use it over the past 4-5 years depending on how early they got this gens' SDKs

There are already +80milion devices which work with Bulldozer, if there is that big a difference (for AMD) then I could see developers actually wanting Scorpio to have bulldozer as well, as they have learned to use it over the past 4-5 years depending on how early they got this gens' SDKs
the timing for Scorpio's SDK land around (first iteration Nov 2016) IIRC. That may have went to first parties I'm not sure. I don't expect a large roll out of SDKs to be out until June.

To be honest, I don't think game developers have bothered much with optimizing for bulldozer during the past 5 years.

Zen is Amd's new tech and will be around through various upgrades for a long time. Its in AMD's best interest to get it into a console ASAP even if they charge jaguar rates for it. Getting it in scoprio would insure millions of dedicated game machines with zen.

To be honest, I don't think game developers have bothered much with optimizing for bulldozer during the past 5 years.
btw, you mentioned NDAs for AMD still being held; any idea which ones are still left and their approximate end dates?

btw, you mentioned NDAs for AMD still being held; any idea which ones are still left and their approximate end dates?

For Vega 10 I have no idea and I'm not sure anyone but AMD does. All we have is Scott Herkelman during Beijing's Tech Summit saying "it's just around the corner" and that was almost two weeks ago. It could still land anywhere inside Q2, though (making that statement a bit misleading).
For Ryzen 5 it seems the NDA lifts April 11. I wouldn't be surprised if AMD formally announces the RX 500 Polaris series during that same day, so they could e.g. present all-AMD bundles with competitive prices.

But you think they would bother to optimize for Zen which is in a niche/premium* product that, best case scenario, sells 20 million devices the next 3.5 years?

*according to Spencer

For Vega 10 I have no idea and I'm not sure anyone but AMD does. All we have is Scott Herkelman during Beijing's Tech Summit saying "it's just around the corner" and that was almost two weeks ago. It could still land anywhere inside Q2, though (making that statement a bit misleading).
For Ryzen 5 it seems the NDA lifts April 11. I wouldn't be surprised if AMD formally announces the RX 500 Polaris series during that same day, so they could e.g. present all-AMD bundles with competitive prices.
even if they was still under nda i don't think it would be enough to impact the tech reveal.
simply because ms can say it's based on the tech which has already been publicly demonstrated.
they just wouldn't be able to go into details that haven't already been disclosed.
they may even be able to mention any modifications they've made, but that is harder to navigate without spilling into undisclosed functionality.

and it's in amd's interest that what details gets disclosed is controlled, which this would be. Otherwise it will just get leaked and possibly reveal nda'd parts that's not been disclosed yet.

But you think they would bother to optimize for Zen which is in a niche/premium* product that, best case scenario, sells 20 million devices the next 3.5 years?

*according to Spencer

Regardless of what Phil Spencer said (could you please get a source for that btw?), I do think there will be a lot more gaming systems with RyZen CPUs than there ever were with Bulldozer.

Regardless of what Phil Spencer said (could you please get a source for that btw?), I do think there will be a lot more gaming systems with RyZen CPUs than there ever were with Bulldozer.
Let's hope so.

As for Phil, he said many times the Xbox consoles would co-exist and that Scorpio would be a premium product, and he expected Xbox One S to sell more at all times. If that does not ring a bell I'll look for a source for you! :)

To be honest, until we have the price we can't tell how it's positioned.

"I call it a premium console because I want people to be clear that the customer we're building that for is the premium gaming customer," Spencer said. "The person who buys the majority of the games, the person who's playing the most games, spending the most hours, spending the most dollars. It's like our Elite controller. I call that a premium controller."

"I'm not trying to scare anybody on the price. We're going to come out on a price that we think is fair for the product that we build and the customers will tell us as they always do. I call it premium because I don't want people to get confused that somehow Scorpio is the thing that is going to take over the Xbox line."

dude, it's just a 19 hour wait for some real news. Why not just wait instead of telling everyone how it's going to be.
Listen, as a new comer on to this forum, I just want to fast forward on the history of the veterans here; many of these guys post in other places as well, many have dabbled their lives in game dev and hardware, some AAA some AA, some indie. A great plenty of folks on this board have been privy to NDA materials as well and never so much peep that they know these things. Many of these folks I have found posting in NDA forums as well, luckily for me they use the same forum name he he he (in the shadows I stay)

So have some respect for the people telling you to relax on your stances and stop calling the shots, if you just listened for a bit, you'd see that some people could dropping you tidbits of information but you're too locked up thinking you're right about everything.

not everyone on this board is interested in betting their accounts over virtually nothing. This board exists to discuss technical information and every once in a while we have fun with guess work and poke fun with each other, but the main selling point of this forum is good information sharing and knowledge sharing. This is not Neogaf, and if you want it to be, I want to direct you to Neogaf.

I consciously voted wrong, so that after the unveiling nobody can tell what I actually knew. :yep2:
Actually I don't know crap this time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back