WTF is a Generation? *PissOff from Scorpio Thread*

Alice & Lisa. Now there was a generation. And I like that they weren't too cool to hang with Aunt Paula, who could still rip it up.

First: it's not 2+ TF, but rather 1.8TF. Second: The CPU is most probably a 2.5GHz jaguar, at best. At this point even 2.1GHz is possible. In which case the GPU is bottlenecked by the CPU. So the 30% GPU performance would be more like 10-20% in real world situations. PS4 pro 1800p cb to 4K with Xbox Scorpio 2160p cb.
Or PS4 Pro 2160p cb with extra effects, and Xbox Scorpio 2160p native 4K with slightly less effects.

Scorpio will be the same generation as PS4 pro, but a year late.

A generation could be defined as which CPU a console uses, if the amount of cores stays the same. (to avoid gamecube, wii, wii u being the same generation)
OK I'm not arguing that the Scorpio is a different generation. I'm just stating that you can't use % of power to say that the the Xbox one and ps4 are different gens.

Agreed, if that were true, the Gamecube, Wii and WiiU would all be the same generation.

Due to the CPU, even if it was 3 gamecubes worth of processing power, Wii U was never able to get games like RDR or GTA V and IV, even if the GPU and the ram where there. So it has some value, to look at generations this way. Especially in the multi-platform world.

While some would love that people classify Wii U as same generation as Xbox1 and PS4, I think people would love it even more if Wii U could have run half the games PS3 and Xbox 360 did.

Those concept renders confirm my suspicion that gamers have horrible horrible taste. Razer, Alienware, gaming chairs, PCs cases with LEDs all over them, and now these renders.

My sources tell me Scorpio is going to look like this.

5003402-4856823752-8c991.jpg
now that you mention it...what about a PC/console hybrid where Scorpio can be sold by the likes of Dell, HP, Acer, etc?

Those concept renders confirm my suspicion that gamers have horrible horrible taste. Razer, Alienware, gaming chairs, PCs cases with LEDs all over them, and now these renders.

My sources tell me Scorpio is going to look like this.

5003402-4856823752-8c991.jpg
So you're saying, its gonna be the laughing stock of the CGI world
d0ozantts4na6akvxypa.gif

Though with the above I think we can say some games have surpassed some film offline CGI renders

To be fair the studio cut the special effects budget while they were already in the process of making the effects.

A generation in my opinion is when a console is launched that has an overall jump of 6-10X processing power. So, for example, if we go for the lowest TFlop rating for the XBox One which is 1.3TFlop the XBox Two would require 7.8Tflop. If the frequency bumps have pushed the XBox One over 1.3TFlops then the XBox Two would require 8Tflops.

A generation in my opinion is when a console is launched that has an overall jump of 6-10X processing power.

So that means after all these years Nintendo is only on their second generation console?

Nintendo doesn't have generations. The Wii to the WiiU was simply duct taping two Wiis together.

And GameCube to Wii was duct taping two GameCubes together, right? So that puts GameCube to WiiU as under 6x-10x improvement threshold of a new generation.

Back