Horizon: Zero Dawn - Graphics de-Gushing

I think they might have improved the water reflections in the last few patches

horizonzerodawn_20170pusad.jpg

horizonzerodawn_20170qksfp.jpg

horizonzerodawn_20170musca.jpg

There is nothing to gush about when it comes to the graphics of zero dawn. A few shots of human characters at certain angles look like they are close to photorealistic, but most of the time characters look stylized or deep in the uncanny valley. Just like in racing games, the landscapes look very good most of the time, but the fact they were going for stylism comes through sometimes.

What I would love to have seen is the same game with everything made to go for realism. For example, they could have taken a gazillion pictures of desert, jungle, and forest scenes/objects to get textures. Then they could have worked all the main character and especially the supporting characters to make them look more like live action movie characters rather than animated characters.

I can only Imagine how photorealistic it would've been had Guerilla targeted 480p instead of HD.
If I take my glasses off it's almost indistinguishable from real life, as soon as I put glasses back, realism starts to fall apart from the seams and I can see the stylized graphics.

There is nothing to gush about when it comes to the graphics of zero dawn. A few shots of human characters at certain angles look like they are close to photorealistic, but most of the time characters look stylized or deep in the uncanny valley. Just like in racing games, the landscapes look very good most of the time, but the fact they were going for stylism comes through sometimes.

What I would love to have seen is the same game with everything made to go for realism. For example, they could have taken a gazillion pictures of desert, jungle, and forest scenes/objects to get textures. Then they could have worked all the main character and especially the supporting characters to make them look more like live action movie characters rather than animated characters.

You are like always ridiculous with your obsession of photorealism. It is an artistic choice. If you want to see the Decima engine with photorealism and photogrammetry in mind wait Death Stranding...

Last edited:
I can only Imagine how photorealistic it would've been had Guerilla targeted 480p instead of HD.
If I take my glasses off it's almost indistinguishable from real life, as soon as I put glasses back, realism starts to fall apart from the seams and I can see the stylized graphics.

I would not at all have minded if the game had been in 720P. That's what I've watched all my video on for years now. At that resolution they could have cranked everything up to the max and possibly made the game look much closer to a live action movie.

Yeah toy story and shrek should also aim for photorealistic graphics.

Those movies were cartoons made primarily for little kids. The comparison is ridiculous. I think this game could have looked really fantastic if it had been made with the aim for photorealistic graphics. Right now, the main character gives me an uncanny vibe most of the time. In a few shots she looks pretty close to photorealistic but in others she looks "off" enough to be revolting. I'm at the point where even though I prefer photorealism, I'd prefer games like this one go for an even MORE stylized obviously unreal cartoonish style than have some shots look close to photorealism and others look creepy.

Those movies were cartoons made primarily for little kids. The comparison is ridiculous. I think this game could have looked really fantastic if it had been made with the aim for photorealistic graphics. Right now, the main character gives me an uncanny vibe most of the time. In a few shots she looks pretty close to photorealistic but in others she looks "off" enough to be revolting. I'm at the point where even though I prefer photorealism, I'd prefer games like this one go for an even MORE stylized obviously unreal cartoonish style than have some shots look close to photorealism and others look creepy.

If you want photo-realism there's plenty enough outside. Plus H:ZD is a weird game to target with that nonsense:

32550032453_0470828706_o.png

33364267925_07fe51d952_o.png

33151912812_4fe7e742e9_o.png

33346422515_8cda01b2c3_o.png

^ Here's your fix of photo-realism :p

I'm bored with photorealism, think of all we could do with that processing power if we weren't using it to fail to mimick reality...
After that we could discuss what you mean by photoreal...
Is it reality as seen through your eyes ?
Then movies/series with their controlled lighting environment, post effects, digital image synthesis... Aren't quite representative of reality at all.

Well worth it :)

I'm just waiting for the new game+ mode to start all over again.

Back