Microsoft XBOX (XBox One X / Project Scorpio) - Prerelease News and Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, yes, the "native" or "true" 4k argument, which is another useless semantic argument I have no interest in participating in.

If you have any interest in Xbox then you probably know who Alberto Penelli is:

"I think there are a lot of caveats they're giving customers right now around 4K. They're talking about checkerboard rendering and up-scaling and things like that. There are just a lot of asterisks in their marketing around 4K, which is interesting because when we thought about what spec we wanted for Scorpio, we were very clear we wanted developers to take their Xbox One engines and render them in native, true 4K. That was why we picked the number, that's why we have the memory bandwidth we have, that's why we have the teraflops we have, because it's what we heard from game developers was required to achieve native 4K."

Some people still believe in him, so I wouldn't rule out native 4K.

Microsoft's first rule of power regulation: When in doubt, add another hundred mlcc bypass caps.

Maybe this indicates a higher clock.

C8k69LlXsAERpTp.jpg

Last year's render was....

53971_35_project-scorpio-renders-games-native-4k.png

Last edited:
Microsoft's first rule of power regulation: When in doubt, add another hundred mlcc bypass caps.

are mlcc bypass caps the little squares around the soc?

Snipped the pics, but, is that an QR code on the chip?

I like how they have "4K" stamped in the chip.
Just so we all know, it's a "4K SoC". Not a "2K" or a "6K" one.
Nope, this is a "4K" through and through.

But this thursday already, eh? I'll be watching it live, for certain.

C8k69LlXsAERpTp.jpg

53971_35_project-scorpio-renders-games-native-4k.png
I like how they have "4K" stamped in the chip.
Just so we all know, it's a "4K SoC". Not a "2K" or a "6K" one.
Nope, this is a "4K" through and through.

But this thursday already, eh? I'll be watching it live, for certain.
the new year's 4k looks a more blurry, the old one looked crisper

An idea:
- If Vega is just around the corner and Scorpio has Vega, what's the probability of Scorpio's hardware unveil triggering off a bunch of NDAs regarding PC Vega cards?

Maybe not because Microsoft wouldn't want AMD's new cards to steal their thunder? Or Scorpio would always take so much more attention than Vega cards that they wouldn't matter?

the new year's 4k looks a more blurry, the old one looked crisper
This pretty much double confirms that Scorpio won't have decent Anisotropic Filtering performance.
Dang.

So from now on every 3rd party game should look best on Scorpio? As a PS4 owner that doesn't bother me too much and I think its good for the industry to have consoles that are powerful enough to deliver modern graphics with good performance. As former 360 owner i don't think there is anything to win me over even if I owned a 4K screen i'd be happy with the results of the pro.

are mlcc bypass caps the little squares around the soc?

Snipped the pics, but, is that an QR code on the chip?
Yeah those. They've been adding a huge amount of mlcc caps on all their motherboards power plane since the first XB1. It's definitely becoming a design philosophy. Maybe more caps saves costs with simpler regulators. I'm speculating it could be to have more power stability with a higher clock.

This time it's the caps on the top side (as close to the pins as possible). Considering they weren't there before, it could be just a fix for power transient issues, or it could be an overclocking thing.

Yes, I am rumor mongering. But it's based on reasonable assumptions! :devilish:

Yeah those. They've been adding a huge amount of mlcc caps on all their motherboards power plane since the first XB1. It's definitely becoming a design philosophy. Maybe more caps saves costs with simpler regulators. I'm speculating it could be to have more power stability with a higher clock.

This time it's the caps on the top side (as close to the pins as possible). Considering they weren't there before, it could be just a fix for power transient issues, or it could be an overclocking thing.

Yes, I am rumor mongering. But it's based on reasonable assumptions! :devilish:

Does the SoC being made by TMSC rule out a type of ZEN cpu core?

Just on a speculative level, it's reasonable to expect that emulated 360's titles are in some way upgraded in framerate or resolution?
It shouldn't be any different to how it currently operates. Resolution upgrade and removal of 30fps cap would require more tinkering.

I wonder if they can implement a global AF control override ala PC for these cases. An internal supersampling that automatically resolves to the game's original target res might be cute - I don't know how the thing works, but I assume they'd need to fool the original game code, so native higher res output could be out of the question. i.e. Force supersampling, resolve to 360 res, then upscale to Scorpio output.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
I heard the new controller is going to come with a mood enhancing feature that will make you enjoy games more and view graphics more favourably (injects you with Fentanyl)
Later when playing your favorite FPS online:
"That was a wonderful game"
"you beat me fair and square, congratulations"
"My controller was working just fine, you won because you were much better than me."

I heard the new controller is going to come with a mood enhancing feature that will make you enjoy games more and view graphics more favourably (injects you with Fentanyl)
-Just watch out for these when using the new controller :)
Common fentanyl side effects may include:

• slowed breathing;
  • slow heart rate;
  • muscle stiffness;
  • dizziness, vision problems;
  • nausea, vomiting;
  • itching, sweating; or
  • high blood pressure (confusion, anxiety, pounding in your neck or ears).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back