Batman VR [PSVR]

Short but sweet indeed. Playing around with your gadgets is a real blast. Still, it really is well short. 60 minutes tops, and that's if you're faffing about with some of the things which aren't driving the narrative forward, like playing around and analyzing blood samples with the bat computer. The Riddler challenges which open up once you're done with the story are rather compelling at least. It's also one of the most handsome experiences you can have with the headset right now. Unlike many of the other games which are going for more realistic visuals, Arkham VR doesn't throw the pursuit of image quality out of the window.

I haven't completed it yet, but it definitely has a bunch of cool stuff. I think it should be fine to wait until it is $20 though.

And not having a big interest in this particular version of Batman, I do like something like Bound much more. But that is very much a matter of taste. :)

I haven't completed it yet, but it definitely has a bunch of cool stuff. I think it should be fine to wait until it is $20 though.

And not having a big interest in this particular version of Batman, I do like something like Bound much more. But that is very much a matter of taste. :)

$20 is indeed too much. It's more like a demo. I played it yesterday, perhaps I spent 1.5 hours max. It's a beautifull experience of VR:

- The characters are really close when they talk to you. Almost in your face. It's good
- Excellent use of the move controllers to use gadgets and weapons.
- Travelling is a bummer. When you're supposed to sit in the batmobile, you just stare into a noisy black background.
- There's some movement via teleporting, e.g when you have to get back into a bat plane hanging in the air you use the grapple.
- Some movement goes via hitting the move controller action key, but it's like going from one corner in the room to the other. I wonder why they just couldn't implement a more inteligent way of movement. Issus is of course that the move controller have no joystick. In the old days, Sony also had the motion controller (no LED), but then you loose one hand.

First person movement risks motion sickness. That is a major reason why first person vr games often use teleport. Sometimes you can also choose between the two.

iWaggle3D did a great test video of this game. He made some fantastic Move controller use analysis in the past, and this new video is great in how it overlays the real move controller's position and the virtual hands they control.

I was finally able to play this in the comfort of my own house. This is still my favourite PSVR title. It's such a great experience, and also really polished.
I did like the non-PRO version a little bit more; from what I can remember the blurred periphery actually made the graphics a bit better IMO, anyone feels the same?

Only thing I can say is that Rocksteady handled foveated rendering a lot more gracefully than just about anyone else. Took me a good long while before I even noticed it. In Robinson The Journey on the other hand, the fuzzy peripheral vision really sticks out.

I liked the Batman VR with PRO more. It was just so much clearer overall, especially the more distant objects and scenery.
This is stil my second favorite VR game (after RE7), the immersion with Move controllers is even better than RE7. Too bad it's so short, though I must have played it for tens of hours worth, never getting bored even though I had completed it 100%.

Finally finished the 'main' game... OMG this was so intense. I never imagined VR could be like this. I knew the game was immersive, but near the end I noticed my heart beating in my throat. I played it over several sessions though because I was warned on it being to short. In hindsight the game itself has the perfect length. Now for the extra challenges..

Finally finished the 'main' game... OMG this was so intense. I never imagined VR could be like this. I knew the game was immersive, but near the end I noticed my heart beating in my throat. I played it over several sessions though because I was warned on it being to short. In hindsight the game itself has the perfect length. Now for the extra challenges..

I bought it because of you. I'll try it later today.

Back