Xbox Scorpio Hardware Prediction Thread [April 2017 Revision]

Can the B3D gestalt accurately predict Scorpio hardware?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

iroboto

Daft Funk
Legend
Supporter
Maybe a new thread for immediate level predictions for first week of April reveal Predictions or do you mean longer timeframe such as a Pre-E3 reveal Predictions? That way it's separated and nicely disposable when (if) it happens?
Sure, we can do a separate one for E3.
So for April maybe we can do Scorpio Hardware Prediction:
CPU Architecture
GPU Architecture
RAM Amount
Hard Drive Size and speeds
Secret Sauce (if any)
How BC with Xbox One native programs are handled

edit: realistically guys, you have until this coming wednesday to post your predictions. It's most certainly happening.

Last edited:
I'll go first:
CPU
  • Zen Family
GPU
  • Vega
RAM
  • 12 GDDR5
  • 1 DDR4 for video caching
Hard Drive
  • 750GB @ 7200 RPM? one can dream
XBO BC
  • hardware based controller for esram remapping back onto a dedicated space in memory.
Secret Sauce
  • Full SM6.0 Hardware support including Procedural Textures/(probably poor wording here -- Texel Shaders).
  • DX Feature Support Level 12.1+ (not really special, but still an improvement over Polaris)
  • Double down on Command Processor Customizations from XBO continue to further push the envelope on Execute Indirect / close to full GPU driven draw calls
  • will borrow Checkerboard tech from 4Pro
  • Audio hardware to support virtual surround over headphones.

CPU - Ryzen 1500
GPU - Vega
RAM - 12GB GDDR5X --> 2GB of cheap DDR3 to help with loading times
HD - 1 or 2TB
Secret Sauce - PC/console dual startup, uncompressed pixels

HMMM. All the talk of how tasty the hardware looks from "insidery" people is making me seriously start wondering about Zen. Since we already knew 6TF, and I dont expect much more there, to what else could these people be referring then that looks so tasty?

But I've said I dont expect Zen from the start, so I wont back down now, just for consistency's sake.

CPU: 8 core Jaguar, 2.3 ghz.
GPU Vega, 6.3 TF
Ram: 12 GB GDDR5
HD 1TB cheaper SKU, 2TB more expensive SKU

512GB SSD is far too expensive. Though I seriously hope they allow external SSD caching with USB3.1/UASP. Wouldn't cost them a dime but could make a lot people happy.

CPU 8 core 8 thread Jaguar @ 2.5GHz < won't be specified in reveal
GPU VEGA down clocked to 6TF
RAM 8GB GDDR5 300+GB/sec < amount won't be specified in reveal
HDD mechanical 1TB and 4TB SKU
HDMI only output (this will free up memory) < no HDMI-in might be specified in reveal
4x USB 3.0 (not 3.1) type A < won't be specified in reveal

The 4TB SKU will be marketed as 'premium' and will cost 589 dollar, the 1TB SKU will cost 439 dollar.

Dream specs: 8 core Zen 2Ghz, 7.8TF vega, 16GB GDDR5X 400+GB/sec, 1TB SSD, USB 3.1, 399 dollar

CPU
  • Zen Family (8/8 core/thread - 2.2-2.4GHz)
GPU
  • Vega Family with some Navi features - 64 NCU (52 active @ 1.2GHz)
RAM
  • 12 GDDR5 (at least 9-10 GB allocated for games) - +320GB/s
  • 2GB DDR4 for apps.
Hard Drive
  • 500GB/1TB/2TB
XBO BC
  • No idea, but it should be way simpler than 360.
Secret Sauce
  • Read above again if you didn't get it already. :runaway:

Raven Ridge APU
down clocked Zen CPU with downsized L3
6TF+ Vega GPU, final TF depends on TDP so there might be a slight headroom depending on other decisions.
Memory system I'm actually not so sure.
I could just say 12GB GDDR5 on a 384bit Bus as their old video hints at but they might want to use a 256bit bus for simplicity reasons. Then they would need to use 16GB GDDR5x. GDDR6 is projected for late 2017 than 2018 which would make GDDR5x the lesser and cheaper option sooner than later. Nothing scales faster price wise than generic memory so that might not be a difficult decision.

But then a small HBM2 pool with DDR4 for TDP reasons would not surprise me either as that seems to be AMD's Raven Ridge design plan. A 4GB pool would get 204-256GB/s depending on clock. If you add the DDR4 pool bandwidth you'll get 320+GB.

USB 3.1 is a no brainer with Raven Ridge
HDMI 2.1
1TB HD as default
Maybe a 2TB model with Elite controller as the premium option I suppose.
The 3-4TB 2.5HDs are still too expensive.

- 12 x 1GB GDDR5 @ as close to 7ghz as they can get. Because it's the cheapest way of hitting the minimum memory quantity and BW they need, and power used in hitting 8 ghz increases significantly. Don't think they'll use an additional pool of DDR4, as unlike Sony they'll easily be able able to accommodate both an increased 4K dash footprint and extra memory for 4K game buffers, while still having an extra ~3GB spare for enhanced assets.

- Gimpy ass 1TB laptop HDD. Because they're physically small, relatively cheap and because users will expect to be able to use gimpy ass, USB powered HDDs to install additional games. "Bu bu bu why can't I use my gimpy ass external 2.5" drive stupid M$ I can use it on PS4Bone y r u riping us of stupid M$!! #ripofM$ #lazydev"

- UHD BR drive because that's the standard they've already set with X1S, because they're already buying those drives en mass, and because it's a significant differentiator for their 'premium' product over cheaper PS4Pro.

- 44 or 48 active CUs with 4 redundant, 64 ROPs

- 350 ~ 400 mm^2. Lower end if it's Jaguar again, higher end if they go for something more exotic.

- CPU: :(

CPU Architecture: 8 Core Jaguar @ 2.3GHz
GPU Architecture 6tflop GPU based on Vega arch but with some additional features not even seen in Vega (Just like PS4 Pro had some features not seen in Polaris)
RAM Amount 12GB GDDR5 on a 384bit memory bus
Hard Drive Size and speeds 1TB 720rmp HDD.
Secret Sauce (if any):16GB eMMC NAND

CPU: Jaguar at 2.4 GHz not exactly just an over clock, but tweaks to improve the power consumption at higher clocks.
GPU: Polaris based. 48 CU at 1GHz
RAM: 12 GB GDDR5
HDD: 1 TB plus additional 32GB of flash based cache.

CPU architecture: 8 core Jag @ 2.4GHz
GPU architecture: VEGA, 6TFlops
RAM Amount: 12GB GDDR5
Hard Drive: 1TB SKU, 2TB SKU

CPU: 8 core Jaguar-derivative (with power management fixed) @ ~2.5 Ghz
GPU: Vega derivative with some of the less console-applicable features excised. (No HBCC) - 6TF
RAM: 12GB of GDDR5 - 320GB/s
HDD: 1TB 5400RPM - :/
SS: Elite controller standard with system, premium packaging (never underestimate the power of unboxing videos).
XBO BC: Software-based. Maybe another VM layer between the hypervisor and Game VM?

$499

Not sure why so many of you want to stick a secondary memory pool onto this thing. PS4 Pro *had* to have some additional amount of DDR3 in their box to support the secondary SoC (which runs its own OS and has to be able to run with the APU, and the memory attached to it, shut down) and they chose to add more as a way to account for the additional memory pressure the higher resolutions would cause *instead* of putting a wider memory bus on their APU so they could add more GDDR5. MS are (probably) widening their bus to get to 12GB of GDDR5 and to get increased bandwidth. I don't see what benefit MS would see, after already making that expensive choice, from adding a secondary pool of DDR4 that could possibly justify adding a separate memory bus to accommodate it.

CPU - 2.x Ghz cat (if mid gen upgrade with fc & bc),
. 2.x Ghz zen 8c 8t (if rolling gen).
. Don't know enough about how ms see's it so I'm always flip flopping.
GPU - 6.x TF slightly customized vega
HDD - 1tb 2.5"(for console size reasons) 5400rpm booo...
HDD CACHE - on board m.2 ssd 64-120GB to help, yay...
USB - 4 3.1 maybe 6 if 2 of them is usb-c
MEMORY - 12GB gddr5

$450-500

although would prefer 2-4GB gddr5, 12GB ddr4.
memory controller and board layout slightly more complex, but benefits are improved contention, bandwidth where you really need it, overall more memory, possibly cheaper. Think amd already has this sort of setup on their road map.
I think 2-4GB HBM instead of gddr5 would be too expensive, maybe for the Scorpio slim when it takes over as budget console.

Last edited:
CPU: 2.4 - 2.5 Ghz Jaguar or 35 Watt Zen
GPU: Vega based tech with minor customizations beyond PC levels
RAM: 12GB GDDR5
HDD: 2.5" Hybrid HardDrive, 1TB lowest SKU
Extra: onboard eMMC 16GB used by OS, UHD BluRay
BC: Xbox One games just work, No hardware down-clocking like 4Pro, Hypervisor handles ESRAM mapping, if troubled-game exist then MS will release a game-specific container patch
BC: Xbox 360 games will kick major ass
Volumn: less total area than Xbox One S
Removals: No HDMI-IN

The system TF rating will depend on final system tuning based on yields and thermals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back