How hard is it to emulate PS4,X1?

With Amiga you don't need the OS per se, but the Kickrom...

You mean Kickstart?, because that is the core OS (exec, dos, graphics, intuition). It originally came on disk, with nowt but a basic kickstart boot loader in ROM on early A1000s then was put into ROM. I upgraded a few machines whilst I had Amigas and it felt normal to remove and install a new ROM for significant Kickstart upgrades (1.2 to 1.3, 1.x to 2.04, 2.x to 3.0)

Wacky times.

the Destiny sales ratio is only a bit less than the

Oh yeah... Amiga 1000 had the kickrom or rather kickstart on disc. Completely forgot.

And yeah... Amiga Kickstart did in fact include way more than just BIOS. Sort of like the C64 before that, with the basic interpreter. Cool times indeed. Just start the computer and program away^^ integrated "ide" and "compiler" just like that.

But it's still a question of "what constitues an OS". Are the basic libraries already an OS? MSDOS would say yes, imho. Man... I gotta buy another Amiga for retros sake (sold my 1200, but still have my 500).

Last edited by a moderator:
The copyright... "problem" isn't that black and white, though. I can see that it's problematic if we suddenly get back to Bleem or UltraHLE times, where current PCs were actually able to run current console games. But I can't see that happen anymore. Even with consoles that are, in fact, pcs. The emulating the OS calls will be such a big undertaking in itself, that cracking the encryption seems like an easy task (I assume that we don't get a firmware dump any time soon... because after that... an approach with a virtual machine might actually make this pretty easy... and I am really talking out of my ass right now, so I should stop^^)

Copyright law doesn't have anything at all to do with how current an emulation target is or how similar it is to a PC. It really doesn't matter. If the emulator doesn't distribute copyrighted material it's not breaking copyrights. Something that neither Bleem nor UltraHLE were doing, for example.

This thread is for discussing how feasible it is; not whether or not people should create emulators.

It's a curious question, because in hardware terms, an AMD APU should be right there to execute the same codebase. It'd come down to SDK and libraries I suppose, although various Windows or whatever overheads would likely require a bit faster APU to emulate. You'd also want the same BW, so ~200 GB/s for XB1 for an ideal emulation, which isn't happening any time soon. Maybe when we get fast, stacked RAM on an APU, it'll be possible.

I understand however I thought I was basically saying it wasn't feasible in making all the effort because there is a bit of a difference now as opposed to pre-PS2 generation hardware.

Your right an Amd Apu with 8 cores at a higher clock and 1000 or so shaders could do a decnt job at emulation. I wonder when we can expect a product like this to be released?

That assumes the AMD APU hardware for consoles wasn't customized to prevent future outside emulator development or hacking. Just on clock speed alone and matching cores, just may not be enough.

AMD or even Intel have made different CPUs even if similar for different markets...surely the shared technology in current consoles does not equal the related PC parts just like xbox one and PS4 are somewhat distant cousins.

Then again I also don't want to assume that the engineering behind the development of these consoles basically had an "anti-emulators" agenda but resisting hackers goes hand in hand.

A working emulation may well end up being (or trying to be) blocked by copyright acts. It's one thing to emulate an outdated machine, but another entirely to emulate an existing product on a fully programmable, hackable, pirateable platform. For one thing, use of the OS would be a copyright violation (compare to Amiga Emulators that required you to copy the OS from you hardware to use). There'd also be security hacks required to get software to run.

So I'm not sure a consideration of when is relevant. We should stick to 'can it'. ;)

I find it interesting how there are GameCube and PS2 emulators (they took years and needed PC parts that were generations later) yet as mentioned there really isn't a comparable xbox 1 emulator despite how closer to PC parts that old console was compared to current Xbox one or PS4.

The xbox 1 and 360 were hacked but initially it was a somewhat popular encouraged challenge (if you remember) and later to just pirate and cheat on xbl...

I would imagine that despite any current hacking that Microsoft took steps and by relation so would Sony and Nintendo to add a layer of hardware that just increases the effort and complexity of making even a working emulator to boot at all.

I'm not saying it's hopeless but specially last generation's hacking and piracy horrors, you would think lessons were learned.

I would like to say it depends or that it's definitely possible but then these companies would have dropped the ball if there's working emulators too easily made or too soon.

Just to reiterate my feelings that there has to be interest to motivate the effort to make such emulators...even if there is, it may not be feasible even in the long run considering these emulators are hobbies.

3 years later still waiting for a PS4 emulator... I though it would be easier since they are x86 and GCN but transparently the developers also though on that and make it very hard...

Looking through this a bit, the next-gen AMD APUs, especially if they came with stacked RAM, would probably handle emulation just fine. A mini PC with full Steam, XB1/UWP and PS4 gaming...I wonder if console gamers could be convinced to switch, and what that'd do to the landscape?

Back