My demo updated again ... now this time it should really wor

Humus

Crazy coder
Veteran
I think I've ironed out the last bug, had an error in my code, calculated the imageSize parameter wrong when I uploaded the compressed textures. ATi's drivers seams to ignore this parameter ... I could put just about anything in there and it would still work ... no errors generated, not very helpful for debugging. :rollseyes:

Anyway, get is here as usual:
http://hem.passagen.se/emiper/3d.html

Oh, and someone please put up a screenshot so I can see if it's really working :smile:

hmm
still not right here I believe.

humus_new.jpg

Amen. Kudos to Humus for even attempting to resolve issues with hardware he doesnt have. Talk about an uphill fight (through mud, rain, snow and wind to boot!)

Arrrggh :cry: ... back to work again.
If my theory is correct that the uploading of compressed texture is to blame the bug should be in this piece of code:

Code:
        unsigned int bytesPerBlock = (imformat == IMAGE_FORMAT_COMPRESSED_DXT1)? 8 : 16;
        unsigned int size = (((width >> 2) + 3) & ~3) * (((height >> 2) + 3) & ~3) * bytesPerBlock;

glCompressedTexImage2DARB(target, 0, internalFormat, width, height, 0, size, pixels);
	if (mipmapped){
		unsigned int level = 1, w = width, h = height;
		unsigned char *src = pixels;

do {
			src += size;
			if (w > 1) w >>= 1;
			if (h > 1) h >>= 1;
	                	size = (((w >> 2) + 3) & ~3) * (((h >> 2) + 3) & ~3) * bytesPerBlock;
			glCompressedTexImage2DARB(target, level++, internalFormat, w, h, 0, size, src);
		} while (w > 1 || h > 1);
	}

Anyone with some OpenGL experience that can see what's wrong here? "pixels" holds the data in s3tc format.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Humus on 2002-02-22 22:30 ]</font>

Stupid me ... should of course be
size = ((w + 3) >> 2) * ((h + 3) >> 2) * bytesPerBlock;

Thought I had debugged it and checked that every value was correct, but obviously not. But this time I've done just that ... so now it should really work. Try redownling it now.

Nice! :D

But now that I look at your screenshot it looks much brighter than what it does on my screen or in my screenshots. Maybe it's the JPEG compression, but it doesn't look like that, it does look like it's actually much brighter. :/ I don't get the colors saturating that much close to the lights. It's only on very short distance from the light I get that bright and oversaturated such that the bumps goes away. It looks twice as unbumped on your screenshot.

Btw, I'd be interested in what framerate we're seeing on the GF3. Hit 'D' to stop demo, hit Enter to reset position/rotation, hit space to show the framerate.

Generally my screen is a little bright, but that should not affect the image.
I am also using a little vibrance control, that might fuck up the saturation compared to your pictures.

The jpeg compression is not the reason I believe. I used quality 8 in Photoshop, that's pretty good.

humus_fps.jpg

At this point the framerate is changeing between 60 and 80 depending on the lightsources.
In general the framerate varies between 60 and 120 in the demo.
(1024)

It most certainly is much brighter on your screenshot. But the floor and pillars look the same on both, now what driver does it the right way. Time for further investigations ... oh, well ...

Btw, is that score from a Ti200/Regular GF3/Ti500?

darker.jpg

Edit: If the pic doesn't show, right click it and select "show picture"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Humus on 2002-02-23 00:51 ]</font>

Athlon 1200 @ 1350
Gf3Ti200 @ 220/520
Detonator 27.42

Yes the difference is obvious.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Galilee on 2002-02-23 00:54 ]</font>

Hehe, so how do I get it to work on my KYRO then? it mons abotu two gl_extensions:

gl_ext_texture_edge_clamp
and
GL_arb_texture_env_crossbar/gl_nv_texture_env_combine4

Im sure the clamp thing should work, ist that really basic? But what about the other?

On 2002-02-23 00:23, Galilee wrote:
humus_fps.jpg

At this point the framerate is changeing between 60 and 80 depending on the lightsources.
In general the framerate varies between 60 and 120 in the demo.
(1024)

I find that hard to believe, how about putting the frame counter on this time showing 120.
Thx

;)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Doomtrooper on 2002-02-23 03:15 ]</font>

st-2_kopiera.jpg

Gf3 @ 230/510
23.12 WinXP drivers

That ought to shut you up DT.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CosmoKramer on 2002-02-23 03:44 ]</font>

hehe
I don't know why I would lie about that. In some areas of the demo I hit 120-130fps. Mostly it hovers around 70-90 and minimum I have seen is 60.

I flied around myself and managed to get almost 200fps in one very dark area ;)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Galilee on 2002-02-23 04:12 ]</font>

Back