Xbox One Insider Dashboard OS Previews [2017]

This is why I said that the pip overlay is only assumed to replace the snap feature and that they hadn't actually said it would.
it was a reasonable assumption, but assumption none the less.(common sense)
people just assumed that it was a matter of slowly rolling out the replacement pip overlays.
http://windowscentral.com/no-plans-tv-picture-picture-xbox-one-could-change

what will get pip, and what won't/not currently in the pipeline...?

Yeah, I had the same reservations. Supposedly only UWP apps will have the ability to use Compact Overlay. And the only one coming other than Achievements, Cortana & Beam is the Skype app. Pretty pissed off about the whole deal. My XB1 is slowly losing its identity & becoming a generic games device. I really hope they change the name of the system. It's no longer the One device it was originally advertised as. :(

Tommy McClain

the trouble is they look at their telemetry and decide based on what they think it's telling them.
never considering that maybe people didn't use it as much because it was slow or buggy, not because it wasn't liked.

same with the whole direction change in general.
it didn't sell as well due to it being a media device as well.
funny thing is at launch it was a better console, than a all in one device. media capabilities was severely lacking.
so people didn't buy it for that either.

no one likes or used Kinnect, nothing to do with the fact that it didn't have any software for it.

I've not got a x1, so this is just my view looking in.

Yeah, I am surprised they opted to roll out this horrible downgrade in the dashboard update before they had a genuine SNAP Replacement worked out with the popular apps. They really fucked things up for a lot of users. I hope the feedback from them is deafening to Microsoft.

one thing i will say is, ms has shown a willingness change if there's a big enough response.
something like the TV dvr was probably big but not sustained long enough.
this should hopefully not need as big and sustained noise to get them to listen. Even though people was complaining when snap got taken away initialy.

sometimes they just make me roll my eyes!

maybe they had enough of TV, TV, TV, and in the foreseeable future don't want to mix things nor mud the message for what Scorpio is -it seems to be a back to the roots thing- and want the message to be very clear, unlike the last time around.

I kinda prefer the new interface, it's easier to navigate and it's more like one click everything.

On another note, alpha ring member are going to have access to the custom avatar feature middle next week.

https://mspoweruser.com/todays-xbox-one-build-reveals-release-date-custom-gamerpics-alpha-insiders/

The new interface isn't bad IF it had a genuine way of doing what a large number (not large percentage, but still a large number) of users do:
A) Playing a Game while following TrueAchievement Guides or YouTube Videos
B) Playing a Game while Skyping
C) Playing a Game while watching sporting events via WatchESPN or TV

Their Achievement Counter Overlay shows their total failure in understanding what achievement hunters do.

Their message of "new way of multitasking" is utterly insulting since there it's not multitasking.

maybe they had enough of TV, TV, TV, and in the foreseeable future don't want to mix things nor mud the message for what Scorpio is -it seems to be a back to the roots thing- and want the message to be very clear, unlike the last time around.

I kinda prefer the new interface, it's easier to navigate and it's more like one click everything.

On another note, alpha ring member are going to have access to the custom avatar feature middle next week.

https://mspoweruser.com/todays-xbox-one-build-reveals-release-date-custom-gamerpics-alpha-insiders/
wow things really are bad in the ms marketing department.
rather remove features due to inability to promote a clear message.
granted I've said that its one of their weakest points, but that's just throwing in the towel.
best and most flexible console must be a really hard message to communicate :runaway:

They really fucked things up for a lot of users. I hope the feedback from them is deafening to Microsoft.

If it's more deafening than the gaming from the gamers in the games media and gaming forums constantly hammering the games machine should do gaming and nothing else. I doubt it. So welcome to the club with the rest of us who've long been marginalized by the deafening 'feedback'.

Yeah, here's my reply to Mike Ybarra on Twitter...

@XboxQwik no plans for PiP for TV? This is unacceptable. You're making the same anti-consumer decisions you made in 2013. Never learned.

After Aaron Greenberg posted this today...

I am already dreaming of what this will look and play like on Project Scorpio!

I replied with this...

@aarongreenberg yeah can't wait to Snap TV while playing it so I can watch the movies at the same time, oh wait #nomoresnap #featureremoval

They haven't said shit since Mike's reply. Larry Hryb finally started posting on Reddit after about 5 days. Still hasn't said anything about the feature removal.

Tommy McClain

The new interface isn't bad IF it had a genuine way of doing what a large number (not large percentage, but still a large number) of users do:
A) Playing a Game while following TrueAchievement Guides or YouTube Videos
B) Playing a Game while Skyping
C) Playing a Game while watching sporting events via WatchESPN or TV

Yeah, if they could give me those 3 things I'll be happy.

I will say that I kind of understand their issue. They had to abandon Snap since it was deprecated in Windows 10. Snap is something from Windows 8 era. I'm sure the TV/OneGuide app on XB1 is still a native Win8 app. It will need to be rebuilt from the ground up as a UWP Win10 app in order to take advantage the Compact Overlay mode supported in the Creator's Update. I just think they completely messed up on how much people want it. Yeah the have metrics that show it's use but there were a lot of people who tried using it & gave up on it due to performance issues or user interface issues. Personally I didn't have those issues but I heard a lot of people did. They also need to understand that there are lot of unique features that Xbox did that the competition didn't. Take those away & what's left to entice people to stay? Backward Compatibility? Halo & other console exclusives? Those only get you so far. Maybe they think they just to be the fastest console out there & it won't matter. I think they will be sorely disappointed if that's what they expect. I really hope a class action lawsuit gets started. Maybe they will learn a lesson then?

Tommy McClain

Did people actually use Snap much or were they just used to the Home Button getting them back to the Home screen than needing another action now? Personally I've never really used a split view due screen estate but then I also don't use my XBox for media playback.

The current interface is surely smoother/faster than the previous experience.

I always used SNAP to game while following TruAchievement guides and YouTube Videos and also keeping track on sporting events through WatchESPN or HDMI-in. Friends used it a lot to catch some netflix while preparing for raids in Destiny or to Skype with friends and family while gaming.

Now all of that is impossible.

They removed all the multi-media and multi-tasking functionality and replaced it with Beam. So you can stream your gaming or watch other people stream their gaming.

Pretty clear where their emphasis is and where they think they can make the most money. Of course, makes the system an entirely different value proposition for me entirely since I'm not interested in either of those things, and probably used the console equally if not more for functionality other than gaming and gaming related features.

One final note about the new Dashboard. Microsoft isn’t highlighting this change for some reason, but it has removed Snap, which let you access some apps in a split screen view, from Xbox One. Now, multitasking occurs through two primary interfaces, the Guide, where you can jump quickly to other apps and views, and a PIP-style overlay that needs to be explicitly supported by individual apps.
Today, there’s only one app I’m aware of that supports that PIP view: Skype Preview. And Microsoft has said, curiously, that it will not let video apps use this feature. That may sound odd at first, but I suspect it’s related to theft, as other Xbox features let you record the screen pretty easily. We’ll have to see how this develops, but I always found Snap to be incredibly awkward. I know this will be disappointing to some, however.

https://www.thurrott.com/xbox/xbox-one/108147/xbox-one-tip-master-new-dashboard

Man, this just keeps getting better & better. :(

Tommy McClain

I always used SNAP to game while following TruAchievement guides and YouTube Videos and also keeping track on sporting events through WatchESPN or HDMI-in. Friends used it a lot to catch some netflix while preparing for raids in Destiny or to Skype with friends and family while gaming.

Now all of that is impossible.

I use an iPad on a telescope stand next to my seat for any extra input/media needs while playing. It's not exactly the same as the snap functionality obviously but the pros overweight the cons imho. Easy access to Destiny/Xbox Apps, NBA TV, Youtube and Browser with one hand. It's a setup I became so used to now I can't imagine living without anymore.

Custom gamerpics are now available for everyone.

https://www.onmsft.com/news/custom-xbox-gamerpics-now-rolling-out-to-everyone

halowars2gamerpics-1031x580.jpg

Back