Middle Generation Console Upgrade Discussion [Scorpio, 4Pro]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would they have a slim revision only 12 months after launch?

A move from 16ff+ to the new 16ffc would provide lower consumption. Is this possible or is 16ffc only for mobile chips?

Last edited:
Maybe they're trying to get rid of the junk in the trunk?

An ODD-less SKU would attract people with very little space, maybe PC gamers jumping to consoles need purity. But it doesn't add up to anything substantial to shave off the BOM. I still think this would be a psp-go situation. Shooting themselves in the foot.

I'm still doubtful of the benefits of 4K couch gaming, it makes sense on PC because gamers sit so close...but on consoles I'd much rather 1080p and a tonne of effects - HZD has proven (for me anyway) I don't 'need' 4k

I'm honestly doubtful about the true benefits of 4k in gaming period including PC. Temporal AA solutions are doing a really good job at eliminating the majority of aliasing issues in titles that bother implementing it.
Sure the IQ at 4k can be beautiful, but I think gaming as a whole would benefit from using the resources (Shader ALU, bandwidth) to deliver game worlds that truly feel alive.
I may be alone on this but why spend the cash on a Titan X just to run a title at 4k 60 fps? If the Ps4Pro and Scorpio focused on better looking game experiences instead of higher resolutions then PC gamers with mid to high end cards would get useful performance from their rigs as well.

Since we're talking about mid-generation upgrades, is this the right thread to discuss the Sega 32x?
Since the discussion of mid-gen upgrades began months ago, the general forum consensus was reached that Scorpio is not a next gen system because it doesn't have exclusive software. However 32x had exclusive software. However it seems appropriate that it should be a mid-gen upgrade because it was an addon, and only offered limited hardware improvements paling far below the next gen of hardware like Sega Saturn and PS1. To me this represent an personal existential crisis and dilemma.

I'd try to keep Retro/Historical discussions in separate thread(s). Feel free to start such a retro thread.

Purchase Intent is how many units GameStop will order to sell. They intend to have the same number of Switch and Scorpio units as PS4 units at a minimum, if not more.

Err, I thought it meant those consumer survey things that ya know, we assume corporations do. And whatever other metrics that entails.

"Do you intend to purchase Project Scorpio/PSVR/Nintendo Switch/whatever in the next 12 months Y/N" type surveys. Purchase intent by consumers. Judged by some sort of polling sample of course.

I think Nielson does surveys that are posted from time to time on Neogaf about "purchase intent" for upcoming holiday software.

The more I think about what these new consoles are doing the more I sort of just want to stick to a 1080p display(monitor) until a post-Scorpio console comes out...

...and the more I think about sticking with 1080p the more I think PS4 Pro is ideal choice for that because the performance of PS4 library vs Xbox One library + extra resolution on Scorpio over Pro will be negligible for 1080p I think.

The backwards compatibility is nice but I'm wondering if you use a monitor for gaming will pre-Scoprio Xbox games look bad on a 4K monitor? Which would sort of negate BC...

There's always the option of something like "2K" and a bump to frame rate and IQ.

MS kinda have to chase native 4K - at least near launch - because they had it tattooed to their dick and then waved it around. But for everyone else there are more options.

Go for 60 fps, high quality shadows (shock) and .... maybe ... even .... anisotopicfilteringohhellllllllyeahhh ... and then use remaining resources to bump up resolution beyond native 1080p for 4K / 1080 supersampling purposes, and you've basically got something that's great for everyone.

No-one loses.

Yes, sorry, this is what I meant.

Who needs a thinner 4Pro when it's so damn loud already? [Going by threads in GAF]

Mines very quiet (touches wood) - got it at launch and only just beginning to hear it.

Who needs a thinner 4Pro when it's so damn loud already? [Going by threads in GAF]
They could reduce power consumption by redesigning a few things (like from PS4 1000 to 1100) or even using memory having smaller node (like PS4 1100 to 1200). That could reduce the noise.

With the 32X, people knew the PlayStation and Saturn were right around the corner.

With Scorpio, nobody knows if PS5 will show up in Q3 2018 (10TF Zen+Vega) or years later.. I have been told Marky Cern is really busy these days, so.... who knows

I expect it will launch Christmas 2019: too soon for Microsoft to launch another Xbox, and as much time from the launch of the PS4Pro as there was from PS4 to PS4Pro.
Then MS releases the following year.
2 years of Ms being most powerful
1 year of Sony.
Rinse and repeat.
Not that I think Sony needs to release as soon as that personally.
I think their doing just fine, and will after Scorpio's release, so I don't see why they would bring their gen to a finish so soon.
If Scorpio starts to crush them, then they can think of releasing earlier, but just how much would they need to be crushed to feel under so much pressure, they have a good size market share as it is.

I expect it will launch Christmas 2019: too soon for Microsoft to launch another Xbox, and as much time from the launch of the PS4Pro as there was from PS4 to PS4Pro.

I said 2019 at absolute min but I don't think it will be that soon. Sony has said they still believe in "generations" so I think it will be at least 2020/21 before they could release something with enough of a leap.

Then MS releases the following year.
2 years of Ms being most powerful
1 year of Sony.
Rinse and repeat.

Yes, previously I thought things might be aligning similar to this - but maybe a slightly more even gap - say every 2 years MS and Sony release consoles between each other meaning both can enjoy bragging rights and new hardware launches without treading on each others toes and 'worrying' about face-offs (as naturally the most resent console will be the most powerful).

Yes, previously I thought things might be aligning similar to this - but maybe a slightly more even gap - say every 2 years MS and Sony release consoles between each other meaning both can enjoy bragging rights and new hardware launches without treading on each others toes and 'worrying' about face-offs (as naturally the most resent console will be the most powerful).

The problem with this is that the progress of technological innovation isn't happening at an even pace, so keeping to a set schedule like that doesn't really work. I think the PS4 Pro and Scorpio were enabled by the process shrink making them viable and the platform holders being willing to break the existing paradigm to take advantage of it. Who knows how long it will be before the stars align to the degree that a new "generation" of products makes sense again? Especially since the mid generation upgrades were, IMO, also enabled by the original products being timed poorly relative to the progress of the technology behind them (not timed poorly according to the market, obviously).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back