God of War [PS4, PC]

This game reminds me of Ubisoft games before they downgrade. It looks amazing, I hope the final product looks the game. I had GOW on PS2 and I loved the fast action, though this looks interesting as well.

If anything, SSM games had a history of receiving visual upgrades from E3 demoes to release last gen. Your concern is misplaced.
I'd say worrying about the graphics of a Sony game is always misplaced. :p As far as I'm aware, they have a stellar track record when it comes to visuals, and a lot of their games even show upgrades after their first reveal.

I'd say worrying about the graphics of a Sony game is always misplaced. :p As far as I'm aware, they have a stellar track record when it comes to visuals, and a lot of their games even show upgrades after their first reveal.
Yep, worry about Ubisoft games instead. :p Actually, to be honest, even Ubisoft has improved dramatically in showing actual footage recently.

But yeah, Sony's first party games all have signs of visual upgrades from trailers to retail. The only exception would be Uncharted 4, I guess. The E3 2014 demo was very misleading as it was not even rendered in real time. It was using MSAA, extremely high quality self shadowing and polygon for hair strands. Final game used polygonal sheets for hair instead. In terms of gameplay footage, the retail version was significantly improved over the PSX 2014 demo. Everything else so far has been pretty honest.

If we count shown gameplay rather than some 'reveal trailers'. *Ahem*

^In all fairness: The last time Sony (as in in-house development Sony) has used deceptive tactics like that was during the E3 KZ2 reveal. The PS3 wasn't even out back then. Visually, all their PS4 games lived up to their respective reveal trailers. And while the finished No Man's Sky (the game I assume you're refering to) was a far cry from the game which was promised in the reveal trailers, it didn't really look all that different from a strictly visual point of view. Besides, you'd have to blame Shaun's big mouth for that disappointment.

Last edited:
^In all fairness: The last time Sony (as in in-house development Sony) has used deceptive tactics like that was during the E3 KZ2 reveal. The PS3 wasn't even out back then. Visually, all their PS4 games lived up to their respective reveal trailers. And while the finished No Man's Sky (the game I assume you're refering to) was a far cry from the game which was promised in the reveal trailers, it didn't really look all that different from a strictly visual point of view. Besides, you'd have to blame Shaun's big mouth for that disappointment.
I think Shifty was referring to Uncharted 4, which did indeed receive a visual downgrade from its reveal. Mind you, I still think the final release looks pretty close, but based on technical merits alone, the E3 2014 teaser was significantly ahead. Again, the teaser was running MSAA and extremely high res shadow maps in addition to polygonal strands of hair. In the final version, we see MSAA omitted completely (for the best, but still) in favor of TAA, highly variable shadow quality ranging from great to horrible, mostly decent and hair is rendered with polygonal strips instead.

I was referring to all of the above. ;) Reveal trailers have received downgrades from Sony like other publishers. I think gameplay graphics have generally been shown to improve when shown early.

I was referring to all of the above. ;) Reveal trailers have received downgrades from Sony like other publishers. I think gameplay graphics have generally been shown to improve when shown early.
God of War 3 was one of these games which managed to surpass both its original reveal and even the playable demo significantly.

What a delightful surprise that game was. It kept over delivering. I hope this is the same case.

Did Horizon Zero Dawn receive any downgrade?

God of War 3 was one of these games which managed to surpass both its original reveal and even the playable demo significantly.

What a delightful surprise that game was. It kept over delivering. I hope this is the same case.

Did Horizon Zero Dawn receive any downgrade?
Some geniuses on GAF tried to prove a downgrade by comparing terribly compressed off screen footage to YouTube videos. I recall some of the lines were "significant downgrade in textures", LOL. Delusions aside, no, the final release was even a significant improvement over the reveal, especially draw distances. Remember the E3 2016 demo where pop in was evident just metres ahead? Improved significantly in the final build

The chance of GOW downgrading is made even more remote since they have the Pro SKU now, one should only ponder the thought of how much of an upgrade it receives ;). I expect a much more impressive showing overall next time not only because of the Pro hardware but also the chance of a titan sized boss battle demo, which is where GOW shines the best. The game already looks nuts as it is.
https://static1.gamespot.com/uploads/original/1535/15353747/3086392-9905858489-30834.gif

No downgrade on any gameplay demo on Sony title... no worries for God of War..

But I doubt TLOU2 and Death Stranding will be looking as good than the trailer in gameplay...

my feelings too ^
I just don't understand why it has to lose the gameplay style to bring in a story?
and how is it GOW if it is a over the shoulder walkathon.
After Uncharted 4, I am way too wary of these things. Rants wont change anything, but I would have liked an even more over the top GOW, not a placid walk-me-a-mile tear jerker. Those games are enjoyable, I loved SOMA and Everybody's gone to the rapture , but God of War was actionXmayhemXflying sections ! I want more of that.
If anything I was expecting they would up the fighting system to make it more devastating, instead they threw the identity out of the window.

This really makes me want to know what that space opera game was that got cancelled? I was actually more excited about a new IP from Santa MOnica,

Last edited:
... , but God of War was actionXmayhemXflyingXboning sections ! I want more of that.

Fixed;) Violent excess, immaturity and approachable yet still moderately complex combat that takes a while to master is what made this series so enjoyable. I wonder whether AAA devs will ever be able to shake their inferiority complexes.

First God of War game that I thought l looked remotely interesting!

Horses for courses.

Back