Gran Turismo Sport [PS4]

Anyone who has heard gunshots in real life realize the difference when you hear them in a Hollywood picture.

"Pop" vs. "BOOM!"

I wouldn't be surprised if PD went the route if being realistic instead of effective.

I hope they improved the cluch physics, GT6 was not simulating the cluch gripping properly. It's a bit niche because it will always be faster to use the paddles, but when driving classic cars it's so much more satisfying to use a shifter.

I think GTS looks the best when it's in desert or city courses where there aren't as much alpha coverage like trees, the relatively simpler geometry lends itself well to create a photorealistic scene as everything is 3d molded. However foliage heavy tracks are absolutely its biggest downside, the lighting and shading on the trees are weird, lots of repetition, most likely 2d trees and sparse grass really breaks the illusion of an otherwise realistic looking sim, the juxtaposition to the ultra good looking cars and lighting is stark. This is why 60fps is too big of a sacrifice, complex environment is simply nowhere near the likes of Driveclub or Forza Horizon. So in a way GTS graphics is highly inconsistent, the best moment is probably the best amongst all but the lesser ones are well, terrible.

Oh shit, I forgot I have PSVR now!
This is why 60fps is too big of a sacrifice, complex environment is simply nowhere near the likes of Driveclub or Forza Horizon. So in a way GTS graphics is highly inconsistent, the best moment is probably the best amongst all but the lesser ones are well, terrible.
Did you feel the same about Forza?

Reactions: scf
I think GTS looks the best when it's in desert or city courses where there aren't as much alpha coverage like trees, the relatively simpler geometry lends itself well to create a photorealistic scene as everything is 3d molded. However foliage heavy tracks are absolutely its biggest downside, the lighting and shading on the trees are weird, lots of repetition, most likely 2d trees and sparse grass really breaks the illusion of an otherwise realistic looking sim, the juxtaposition to the ultra good looking cars and lighting is stark. This is why 60fps is too big of a sacrifice, complex environment is simply nowhere near the likes of Driveclub or Forza Horizon. So in a way GTS graphics is highly inconsistent, the best moment is probably the best amongst all but the lesser ones are well, terrible.
Looking at the vids, if you only look at the cars then it can seem photorealistic. The moment you pay any attention to the environments, it's very weak. The corrugated steel boundaries look like PS3 assets.

In replays, GT looks gorgeous as a result. It always did and I remember feeling GT3's action replays looked like TV broadcasts at times. But in game, in car view while racing? Is it going to feel any better than last gen's GTs? I'm doubtful.

Looking at this video, the environments look really boring, the trees lack detail and shadows. The shadows themselves seem almost completely missing; the car doesn't seem to feature self shadowing. The curbs at 1:18 seems completely flat, like texture instead of actual geometry.
Now looking at the spectators, they are almost cardboard; not really moving at all and really sparse as well. Overall the environment is really barren as wel as low poly. The camera depth of field is completely over exaggerated and the motion blur is too high, taking away the little detail in the environment that is left.

So one could argue that GT will never have great graphics, unless you only race at sunset in a city with a lot of reflective windows and everything.

While I must admit that this game looks to have the best graphics in any racing game ever, people must realise that GT games have many years of development time devoted to them. Forza needs to have a game almost every single year, even going as far as creating an extra entire studio to keep up.

So while GT might have the best graphics, between GT5 and now, MS has released:
-Forza 4
-Forza 5
-Forza 6
-Forza Horizon
-Forza Horizon 2
-Forza Horizon 3

I was told GT6 was only a few extra tracks and some cars (Forza has this as DLC!), so I wouldn't count that as a full game.

If Forza got 7 years to make a single game, it would also look great make no mistake about it.
The difference between Forza and GT is that Turn10 tends to outsource a lot more that Polyphony does and GT was trying to achieve a lot more than Forza ever tried. If I am not mistaken the staff working on GT5 were probably less than 200.
GT6 didnt take as long to make as GT5 because the groundwork was already there.
GT5 was trying to do a lot more than any forza ever tried. Dynamic weather conditions and day time, different racing events including rally, snow etc Tracks were also more accurate than Forzas.. The project was certainly more complicated. The latest XBOX One forza games weren't that much of an improvement and some even lacked content in order to meet the launch.

Looking at this video, the environments look really boring, the trees lack detail and shadows...So one could argue that GT will never have great graphics, unless you only race at sunset in a city with a lot of reflective windows and everything.
Baloney. I looked at that and thought it looked like real life as I watched the car. Then I looked at the scenery and saw it was real life, very obviously. The difference is night and day. If GT6 looked like that video you posted, us detractors would all be singing its praises. As it is, 100% of the graphics work is on the car and the scenery looks last-gen and extremely weak. Has nothing to do with artistic lighting and everything to do with the environments being poorly modelled and shaded.

Baloney. I looked at that and thought it looked like real life as I watched the car. Then I looked at the scenery and saw it was real life, very obviously. The difference is night and day. If GT6 looked like that video you posted, us detractors would all be singing its praises. As it is, 100% of the graphics work is on the car and the scenery looks last-gen and extremely weak. Has nothing to do with artistic lighting and everything to do with the environments being poorly modelled and shaded.

GT6 came out almost 4 years ago, the platform on which it ran more than 10 years ago. It's your opinion that the scenery looks last-gen (PS3?) and extremely weak. Would you have an example of a racing game that has current-gen scenery?

yes you notice it, and i think more complex scenery adds to the sense of speed too.

The POM tarmac and road details become a big blur though when you actually race through them. (I know youtube adds compression).

This track is similar to GT:Sport; you have a large amount of trees, a lot of grass as well as big roads with not that much trackside detail.
I would argue GT:Sport compares favourably with the above video. Not to mention 60fps, although Driveclub has a great sense of speed as well (in a NFS kind of way)

edit: here is a really interesting experiment:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL16SzbkNQ367eOgPBP2MNvN5Z-JbhJk6k

It's drive club upscaled to 60fps. the blur works against it in this case (less detail to calculate in-between frames), but it looks interesting nonetheless. Shame we never got a PS4 pro version of Driveclub

Looking at the vids, if you only look at the cars then it can seem photorealistic. The moment you pay any attention to the environments, it's very weak. The corrugated steel boundaries look like PS3 assets.

In replays, GT looks gorgeous as a result. It always did and I remember feeling GT3's action replays looked like TV broadcasts at times. But in game, in car view while racing? Is it going to feel any better than last gen's GTs? I'm doubtful.
Yeah I agree, a necessary sacrifice for its fps of course. I'm still trying to figure out if the replay mode has higher graphics settings or more features, need to see more comparisons.
Oh shit, I forgot I have PSVR now!

Did you feel the same about Forza?
Of course, from what I've seen the more exaggerated and bloom fest lighting in Forza makes everything look even worse. I don't play Forza so can't comment much further on the intricate details :).

GTS trees, including their shaders and lighting are much more convincing in portraying a realistic dense forest than Driveclub's imo. The differences are especially noticeable during daytime scenes and in flyby cameras.

eakqwm.png

qdwubs.png

kexpcd.png

XATtoQD.jpg

Back