Have GG started an assault on ND's title as the Sony 1st party to beat?

1. For ultra graphics this game needs 5-6 Teraflops at 1080p/30fps.
2. Ultra graphics stands out clearly compared to other video games, where mostly only minor visual differences between very high and ultra exist.
3. Thereby the game stands out graphically from everything which I have seen so far on PC. The system requirements have increased enormously as before from last console gen to current console gen.
4. I do not understand what is surprising that a game which needs 5-6 Teraflops for 1080p/30fps has more advanced graphics than a game that needs 2 Teraflops for 1080p/30fp

Wildlands looks good even on ps4 pro, i'll definitely play it more once i'm done with horizon.

Unfortunately, the game goes to medium graphics at 1440p. 1080p and very high graphics would have been much better. Too much rendering power is consumed for the pixel count.

Last edited:
1. The question is whether Horizon is the most technically impressive video game on the PlayStation 4
2. While it looks very good and I even prefer the optics compared to Uncharted 4, it has less interaction options than Zelda on Switch/WiiU or many PlayStation 3 games.
3. Thats why I'm unsure if they have surpassed Uncharted 4.
4. It is said that this game would use the hardware of the Playstation 4 Pro best. But how is the difference in the CPU calculations? Much higher
viewing distance? Why is no player physics to the vegetation added? Even Battlefront Endor has it and it runs at 60fps on the base PlayStation 4 with 40 players and fast vehicles.

Why Wildlands? The performance of the Switch console was mentioned. This is not an argument because Zelda, despite the WiiU as a target, has more basic interaction possibilities than Horizon. And Wildlands manages it with faster CPUs to create a extremly dense, much greater viewing distance and it still has physics.

Last edited:
-higher texture resolution
-more realistic lighting
-more accurate GI (for example character does not light up aggressively orange when standing on orange rock)
-higher shadow resolution
-much higher density while player can move much faster
-much higher draw distance
-higher resolution AO
-much better displacement mapping
-player model gets wet after rain, in water or by going trough bushes
-more realistic surfaces/materials

I don't think Horizon does look as real as Wildlands.
Wildlands 200 by X-RAY-89, auf Flickr

Some sun shafts at high air humidity:
higher texture resolution
Debatable especially character models, trees and rocks.
-more realistic lighting
Hardly, the day and night cycle looks much more realistic with much finer color gradation, more volumetric lights too.
-more accurate GI (for example character does not light up aggressively orange when standing on orange rock)
Doesn't look to be any better or worse to me.
-higher shadow resolution
Maybe
-much higher density while player can move much faster
Hardly, Horizon could just be as dense with better quality foliage to boot
-much higher draw distance
It is higher but not by much
-higher resolution AO
Maybe
-much better displacement mapping
Nope, plenty of POM in Horizon with really good quality
-player model gets wet after rain, in water or by going trough bushes
Same in HZD
-more realistic surfaces/materials
Nope, HZD handily has that beat.

On top those the volumetric cloud deformation is way superior, GRW doesn't even do volumetric clouds.
That's not to mention million polys of dinobots roaming in good numbers, much better particles, much higher quality character models and animation.

You said Ratchet and Clank would have a better graphics than any game on the PC. Also, you said the vegetation in Wildlands has an extremly low vegetation quality. With this attitude, I can not take you seriously.

ratchet_clank_2016041abubh.png

Of course it is one of the best looking games. I have not claimed anything else here. But it has a few weaknesses which make me unsure about whether it's better than Uncharted 4 on the PlayStation 4.

I especially praised the new interaction possibilities in Uncharted 4 compared to the predecessors of the series.

Uncharted 4 is a linear game (although with some very open areas) and it's much easier to control and have expectations about performance levels. Especially so when the enemies in the game are not the size of buildings.

You said Ratchet and Clank would have a better graphics than any game on the PC. Also, you said the vegetation in Wildlands has an extremly low vegetation quality. With this attitude, I can not take you seriously.

ratchet_clank_2016041abubh.png
Do refresh my exact wording please, maybe the best at the time? Tho I believe I said it looked the most Pixar like including pc games. the vegetation quality in wild lands does look low res, especially compared to hzd's.

GR Wildlands is nowhere near the graphics quality of Horizon. I am surprised that this is even argued. Of course there are some trade- offs, especially limited interaction with foliage or water, but compared to Wildlands everything else is superior.
Resolution and draw distance is not everything

Been travelling and have not had any chance to followup on this before now. And I have not read through the whole thread just yet. So my answers might be duplicates of something commented before.

Then why do it? That's illogical.

My wise ass answer to that, is that life is not fair :) But the proper answer is that I thought it would be a interesting discussion/conversation to have.

I don't understand your query. Are you asking if GG are getting better? Uh, yes. Are you asking if GG are as a good a dev as ND? How are you measuring that? And why are you measuring that with what one dev is producing now with their second title having gotten to grips with the hardware versus the other's first title?

We are on a message board, so we measure most things with our feelings and opinions, especially intangible things like this. I know B3D tries to avoid being a fanboy environment and this was not something intended to fuels those flames. But still I think it would be interesting conversation to have.

As for 1st, 2nd, 3rd title, does it really matter? We are always talking about talented studios and what they have done, will do and screwups and what not. So why is it impossible to have a chat about how you see things have progressed and are progressing?

Are ND somehow lessened because GG have improved??
I know english is not my first language, but I am quite sure I did not really convey that in any means. But the short answer is No and it would be possible for GG to improve beyond the standards ND set and keep without ND regressing.

But it's not enough to accept two awesome devs, and you need to position them against each other to put one on a pedestal above the other?

:???:

I am not sure if you're just trolling me here, or if my understanding of the english language really is very bad.
But there has always been a pecking order in regards to dev studios and the respect / credit they get.
ND have by most been regarded as number one. Quite deservedly in my mind, but it does not mean it will always be this way.
And not sure that if I set forward an opinion that GG has surpassed ND in some ways, is the same as tearing one down and putting the other one on a pedestal.

Now I am looking forward to reading the rest of this thread.

I think that, whatever you think of Uncharted, TLOU and Horizon - I'm loving HZD - the undeniable fact is that this one game, as good as it is and as successful as it might be, does not and will not invalidate the much more solid and consistent track record ND have over GG. We're talking about one very good game against a developer who has released hugely successful games for decades. Critically and commercially.

I think that, whatever you think of Uncharted, TLOU and Horizon - I'm loving HZD - the undeniable fact is that this one game, as good as it is and as successful as it might be, does not and will not invalidate the much more solid and consistent track record ND have over GG. We're talking about one very good game against a developer who has released hugely successful games for decades. Critically and commercially.

This is true. Guerrilla will have to keep this up to be compared against ND, but HZD is a step in a very good direction, game is excellent.

But there has always been a pecking order in regards to dev studios and the respect / credit they get.
Pecking order among Sony, or among gamers? If gamers, that explains why the comparison between a first title and a second title, as you're talking just about who's generating the most 'OMG That's Amazeballs' per week.

ND have by most been regarded as number one. Quite deservedly in my mind, but it does not mean it will always be this way.
So importantly, this discussion is really aimed at those who feel that way about ND and how their feelings are about GG. Given it's a highly subjective opinion, I have nothing to add. ND are definitely good but I don't know that they deserve the special attention or attribution of 'number one bestest' that some afford them.

And not sure that if I set forward an opinion that GG has surpassed ND in some ways, is the same as tearing one down and putting the other one on a pedestal.
Well, you presently put ND on a pedestal in the Number One position, and are talking about replacing them with GG. ;)

While it looks very good and I even prefer the optics compared to Uncharted 4, it has less interaction options than Zelda on Switch/WiiU or many PlayStation 3 games.
I doubt this was a technical limitation when, as you stated yourself, such interactivity was possible on much less capable hardware.

It's more likely the case that since interactive environment physics is a core gameplay element of BotW, it receives much more priority. It was sort of the point of the 8-bit style mock-up to show these systems.

Whereas Horizon didn't include the same level of environmental interaction since its core gameplay revolves around hunting and interacting with mechanical beasts. I'm willing to bet Death Stranding will have much more robust physics systems given Kojima's record of obsessive attention to detail.

I doubt this was a technical limitation when, as you stated yourself, such interactivity was possible on much less capable hardware.

It's more likely the case that since interactive environment physics is a core gameplay element of BotW, it receives much more priority. It was sort of the point of the 8-bit style mock-up to show these systems.

Whereas Horizon didn't include the same level of environmental interaction since its core gameplay revolves around hunting and interacting with mechanical beasts. I'm willing to bet Death Stranding will have much more robust physics systems given Kojima's record of obsessive attention to detail.
True, but then again, the more realistic graphics look the more jarring it is when stuff fails to react to basic interactions. In that sense ND > GG:

Biggest sin for me is no water rippling (Zelda fails at this too).

I played UC4 online for the first time yesterday, playing coop with a friend. I can't honestly see why ND are held in such high regard after that experience. The interface is shockingly ugly and somewhat confusing, the visuals aren't all that pretty and the framerate was atrocious. Motion blur had to be whacked up full to disguise the janky mess of the frame pacing. Camera was stupid leading to situations where you're hammering the melee buttons wondering what you're hitting (if anything) as it's off screen. Coupled with lacklustre overly-complexified gameplay versus UC3 and a clearly microtransaction-fuelled money-grab strategy in the balancing, I see ND's position as far from unassailable.

SWBF has far nicer visuals at 60 fps and that's multiplat. It also doesn't have radioactive glow-in-the-dark rocks. :p

Back