Current anti-MS in gaming *spawn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Concerning Street Fighter 5 and Rise of the Tom Raider. Don't forget Sony have Uncharted franchise and Microsoft have Killer Instinct franchise. It probably played a role into exclusivity of SF5 and timed exclusive for Rise of the Tomb Raider and probably installed base too...

Last edited:
The topic, a valid one, is if the gaming media has an anti-MS bias, for which someone at this point should be presenting evidence and examples (I think the OP actualy retracted that view and said it more of public comments and forums). It's very easy to make arguments, "people say, everyone thinks," etc., but that's schoolyard-level discussion without valid numbers or references. A meaningful debate needs points that can be proven/disproven. Otherwise it's just a place for people to post unsubstantiated opinion which ends up as bickering.
But its the same thing. His arguments imply that "Sony's tactics" are unfair and are always put under better light, whereas the same is perceived bad when MS does it. His examples are there to support that XBOX should have been presented much better than what the media present currently and part of its market underperformance is thanks to the false popular belief.

This reminds me a lot of the discussions we had in the Saturn thread (as well as the fanboyish debates of the 32 bit generation) where some were sure there was this "conspiracy" by Sony and fanboy media outlets to defame the better Sega Saturn console.

Yes, the recent cancelling of a game and the closing of a game studio. One was absolutely horrible and pure evil while the other was just business.

Maybe not so much directly by the press, but they did let the sentiment stew on their sites as news stories and in their discussion forums.

Does anyone (sorry for quoting you BRiT) have examples of the media showing bias?

Does anyone (sorry for quoting you BRiT) have examples of the media showing bias?
I feel it's not so much bias, but more the lack of positive news for the XBox One recently. I mean, social media and gaming forums are all about Nioh, Nier Automata, Horizon and Zelda in the past few months. Hard to blame anyone but Microsoft themselves, to be honest. I mean, they did release Halo Wars 2, but yeah, we all know how that went, was never going to be big in the first place.

They've had Positive news when they've deserved it. In particular game pass comes to mind. EA Access and BC.

They are still get slain on the 1P games front.

I'm cautious to use forums or journalism to prove this point though. Perhaps the bias is the importance everyone puts on 1P when it may not actually be a big factor for sales. Hard for me to prove of course. But, A lot of the games that get praised on Gaf, here, and other forums actually don't sell as well as everyone makes these games out to be.

Zelda and HZD were just surpassed by ghost recon. GHost fricken recon, how little I want to play ghost recon and how much I want to play Zelda and HZD. GTAV continues to sell as if people have never played a GTA and Destiny and COD continue to sell extremely well. We can then talk about FO and other great 3P selling games that make 1P sales look dismal.

I love the library that 1P has, but if it's not selling better than 3P it does make me wonder why we put so much significance in it in terms of console purchase (when we talk
About platform strategy; I think we know why we buy our consoles)

Anyway just thinking out loud some curious thoughts with nothing to back it up. In the end shifty ended this thread when it started. This spin off should never have existed because we all knew it was going to go this way.

To add, XB1S was heavily praised and many places even touted UHD Blu Ray as a bigger deal than it turned out to be. So, no, I don't believe there is an anti MS agenda in the media as a whole, or for any platform, really. Few sites, sure, but those are outliers, just like fanboys on a gaming forum.

They've had Positive news when they've deserved it. In particular game pass comes to mind. EA Access and BC.

They are still get slain on the 1P games front.

I'm cautious to use forums or journalism to prove this point though. Perhaps the bias is the importance everyone puts on 1P when it may not actually be a big factor for sales. Hard for me to prove of course. But, A lot of the games that get praised on Gaf, here, and other forums actually don't sell as well as everyone makes these games out to be.

Zelda and HZD were just surpassed by ghost recon. GHost fricken recon, how little I want to play ghost recon and how much I want to play Zelda and HZD. GTAV continues to sell as if people have never played a GTA and Destiny and COD continue to sell extremely well. We can then talk about FO and other great 3P selling games that make 1P sales look dismal.

I love the library that 1P has, but if it's not selling better than 3P it does make me wonder why we put so much significance in it in terms of console purchase (when we talk

Anyway just thinking out loud some curious thoughts with nothing to back it up. In the end shifty ended this thread when it started. This spin off should never have existed because we all knew it was going to go this way.

Zelda and HZD are exclusives (don't have number of Ghost Recon PS4 sales probably better comparison) and it is in UK probably the same in US but the situation is probably different in other country.... The 1P game sales on Nintendo hardware are bigger than 3p game sales...

Last edited:
Zelda and HZD are exclusives (don't have number of Ghost Recon PS4 sales probably better comparison) and it is in UK probably the same in US but the situation is probably different in other country.... The 1P sgame sales on Nintendo hardware are bigger than 3p game sales...
Agreed. But the recent media blitz would have you believe they are the only games that people want/or are playing. The dearth of media coverage on ghost recon made me think it was DOA. Yet, I would not be surprised to see it sell more than likely all of MS 1P sales put together this year.

It seems to me we have had this exact same thread back in 2013/2014. To me the media bias against MS and specifically the Xbox one really occurred back in 2013/14. I think the positive changes implemented by Phil Spencer since taking over Xbox have helped quite a bit to change the media's overall tone when it comes to the Xbox one.

T

I don't think GR is selling better on a individual format. XB1+PS4+PC >> then any single platform, especially Switch. Lowest common denominator buyers (COD, Madden, GR, etc.) don't drive console sales, core gamers who play a much wider spectrum of games are the ones who have word of mouth and convince fence sitters to make the jump and buy a new console. I'm guessing Zelda is the only thing driving Switch sales and after the Zelda hype dies so will the sales.

I don't think GR is selling better on a individual format. XB1+PS4+PC >> then any single platform, especially Switch. Lowest common denominator buyers (COD, Madden, GR, etc.) don't drive console sales, core gamers who play a much wider spectrum of games are the ones who have word of mouth and convince fence sitters to make the jump and buy a new console. I'm guessing Zelda is the only thing driving Switch sales and after the Zelda hype dies so will the sales.
I definitely agree with the individual format. But enevitably I do think LCD buyers do end up making a majority of the purchases. When we see BF sales or holiday console sales, they are moving units over a million for about 2 months straight price seems to be a big factor here. But I do agree that core gamers do have a hand in driving others for purchasing decisions. People want to know "what game should I get" and core gamers will go a long way in trying to help people figure that out.

But what defines a core gamer? i generally feel if we're posting on these types of topics we are well beyond "core"

That's a common held belief. I'd love to know if anyone's ever actually researched this. Marketing typically targets one's audience, rather than that audience's chief influencers. Is it really more efficient and effective to sell to a smaller group knowing they're influence everyone else? Let's say your console is hardcore and family friendly. Does showing the family-friendly side decrease your sales because the hard-core are turned off, and they discourage everyone they know? Or will people more realistically be influenced by a range of factors including advertisements directed at them?

going to try address the original topic. There is anti-everything? I'm going to assume, bias is the same term as anti-MS, or Pro-other.

If we see bias/slants in political journalism, environmental journalism,then it must exist in gaming journalism.

Gaming journalism likely suffers from exactly the same type of bias, except instead of left or right, we see their platform of choice. Happens, and it doesn't surprise me.

The biggest difference between regular journalism and gaming journalism tends to really come down to quality. I've found most gaming 'journalism' sites are about the quality of the 'Sun' and most other sites have tabloid quality. If gaming journalism was physical, you'd see it at the check out line at the supermarket.

going to try address the original topic. There is anti-everything? I'm going to assume, bias is the same term as anti-MS, or Pro-other.

If we see bias/slants in political journalism, environmental journalism,then it must exist in gaming journalism.

Gaming journalism likely suffers from exactly the same type of bias, except instead of left or right, we see their platform of choice. Happens, and it doesn't surprise me.

The biggest difference between regular journalism and gaming journalism tends to really come down to quality. I've found most gaming 'journalism' sites are about the quality of the 'Sun' and most other sites have tabloid quality. If gaming journalism was physical, you'd see it at the check out line at the supermarket.

Thanks for documenting some proof with links to articles and things like that.

Thanks for documenting some proof with links to articles and things like that.
Lol, my bad. I meant it in a literal word by word meaning and not contextual. The phrase there is Anti-MS bias, can be rephrased as, does there exist Anti-MS bias in media; mathematically to prove this statement I would only need to find 1 such article to prove it exists. If the statement is "for all gaming media, there exists anti-ms bias", then clearly this is false, we only need to find 1 entry that is not.

They being said, if there exists anti-ms bias, there so would exist anti-Nintendo, anti-Sony, and anti-PC.

I was just trying to kill the topic. Lol

You can see how tightly wound and fragile the sony fans ego is , come in and say something and they all go off like chickens without a head.

For those responding to my exclusive comment I am talking about the original playstation btw .

And yet the thread continues to attract fanboys like shit attracts flies. 20 year old shit apparently.

A theory: Maybe people are constantly burned by MS products: 1000 dollar tablets with a 12 hour standby time, Microsoft Windows, shoddy hardware, Bing Search, MS buying Nokia and fire thousands of people in Europe, and so on.
People are forced to use MS windows in a lot of companies.

At the end of the day, this all adds up. Maybe that is why people are biased against MS, even if they don't know it, like a subliminal thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back