X-Gene from Applied Micro.

liolio

Aquoiboniste
Legend
I was wandering around the internet where I find this entry from anandtech:

Further digging I find this which is the presentation of the product.
And through the comment of the video I reached this page where you still can access the vid and the slides.

It's the first SoC using the ARMv8 ISA and aiming at such high performance. After a quick search I didn't find a thread about it so I decided to open one as it may interest some persons as well as avoiding to pollute other thread.

Macom X-Gene 3 is "the most powerful ARM CPU available"
Inside the X-Gene 3 are 32 ARMv8-A 64-bit cores operating at speeds up to 3.0GHz. The chip can address 8 DDR4-2667 memory channels with ECC and RAS supporting up to 16DIMMs for up to 1TB of memory. Furthermore the X-Gene 3 supports 42 PCIe Gen 3 lanes with eight controllers. Compared to the X-Gene 2 processor Macom touts a five-fold performance gain.
Earlier in the week, also from the OCP U.S. Summit exhibition floor, we heard that Microsoft had started to use ARM-based servers to run its internal cloud platform. Macom's news also appears to threaten Intel's server hegemony. In its press release announcement of X-Gene 3 sampling, Macom claims that its powerful SoC "matches comparable x86 processors in CPU throughput, per-thread performance and power efficiency, while offering advantages in memory bandwidth and total cost of ownership."

635262c8-55a2-47ea-ab90-2ceddc87e94e.png

X-Gene 3 tests by The Linley Group back up Macom's claims, with the new SoC said to be capable of handling a broad range of cloud workloads. Linley Gwennap, principal analyst at The Linley Group said "The processor excels on big data, particularly in-memory databases, because of its high memory bandwidth. With X-Gene 3, ARM is ready for the cloud."

http://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/103375-macom-x-gene-3-the-powerful-arm-cpu-available/

If find it odd that nowhere in the article, it is said that Macom is trying to get rid of X-Gene as it doesn't fit in their business.

Back