AMD RyZen CPU Architecture for 2017

Looking at those power level I think AMD could fit the 8 core into laptops but is there a market for something like that?

Enviado desde mi HTC One mediante Tapatalk

I can think at programmers such as myself as that market. Bosses are set on fancy laptops for us instead of desktops. At least for smaller companies ( < 100 developers ) this seems to be true ..

I can tell you that my Haswell class CPU and only 16GB of RAM provide a poor experience for (backend) programming on the JVM

Looking at those power level I think AMD could fit the 8 core into laptops but is there a market for something like that?
Maybe in Macbook Pro. But Apple has lately started making Macbook Pros smaller and has even started to use integrated GPUs in the smallest models. 8-core CPU + discrete GPU is the opposite direction.

Maybe in Macbook Pro. But Apple has lately started making Macbook Pros smaller and has even started to use integrated GPUs in the smallest models. 8-core CPU + discrete GPU is the opposite direction.
Baseline 15" is now 45W CPU plus 35W dGPU. It was Iris Pro (Haswell) before.

What is the BW of QPI? i heard it was similar
If you meant the on-chip interconnect, Intel's Skylake ring bus in consumer parts runs at LLC clock (?). 64B bi-directional, so it would be like >4x @ 3GHz over Ryzen's data fabric. But one should note that the fabric is also responsible of carrying LLC requests and graphics DRAM requests.

Perhaps Broadwell HCC with bridges between two giant rings would be more comparable...

If you meant the on-chip interconnect, Intel's Skylake ring bus in consumer parts runs at LLC clock (?). 64B bi-directional, so it would be like >4x @ 3GHz over Ryzen's data fabric. But one should note that the fabric is also responsible of carrying LLC requests and graphics DRAM requests.

Perhaps Broadwell HCC with bridges between two giant rings would be more comparable...
Actually I meant qpi the inter connect for multi socket it's about 25gbs I think I brought this since it seems the cpu threats the ccx as separate cpu for what I understood.

Macbook "Pro" also use LPDDR3 memory which makes them thin and have people think Apple is thick.

I can think at programmers such as myself as that market. Bosses are set on fancy laptops for us instead of desktops. At least for smaller companies ( < 100 developers ) this seems to be true ..

I can tell you that my Haswell class CPU and only 16GB of RAM provide a poor experience for (backend) programming on the JVM

They should provide you remote web browsers :). A simple, non virtualised PC/server running linux or BSD would be able to run dozens of browsers so that you stream it to your laptop and save a couple gigs memory (or more) on your local machine, let alone trillions of CPU cycles they need even just for idling.
However, this would put some load on the network.

Baseline 15" is now 45W CPU plus 35W dGPU. It was Iris Pro (Haswell) before.
13" has still iGPU. 45W should be enough for 8-core Ryzen. Downlocked + downvolted 1800X consumes significantly less than stock 1700 (65W) at identical 3.0 GHz clock. 45W TDP should be doable at 2.7 GHz base clock (cherry picked high end laptop parts).

Actually I meant qpi the inter connect for multi socket it's about 25gbs I think I brought this since it seems the cpu threats the ccx as separate cpu for what I understood.

QPI is an off-chip interconnect, which isn't quite applicable in this case, regardless of treating it as "separate CPU" or not. Both CCXs in Summit Ridge together form a UMA node through the Data Fabric, so at least they have the same ground on memory latency and local bandwidth. Perhaps Broadwell HCC counts, but only when Cluster-on-Die is disabled.

Wonder if Naples would be node interleaving within a package by default...

Last edited:
So according to an AMD post in this thread https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5xgths/smt_configuration_error_in_windows_found_to_be/
the CoreInfo result was due to using an old version of CoreInfo
We have investigated this issue and determined that the initial CoreInfo dump was generated on an outdated version of CoreInfo that was incapable of correctly detecting Ryzen's core/cache topology. Version 3.31 of the application, and Windows 10, read and report the correct topology. We continue to monitor and investigate additional reports from the community. We appreciate your diligence and passion. :)

Apparently with the newer version it gives this much better result https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/ryzen-strictly-technical.2500572/page-12#post-38777051
Code:
Logical to Physical Processor Map:
**--------------  Physical Processor 0 (Hyperthreaded)
--**------------  Physical Processor 1 (Hyperthreaded)
----**----------  Physical Processor 2 (Hyperthreaded)
------**--------  Physical Processor 3 (Hyperthreaded)
--------**------  Physical Processor 4 (Hyperthreaded)
----------**----  Physical Processor 5 (Hyperthreaded)
------------**--  Physical Processor 6 (Hyperthreaded)
--------------**  Physical Processor 7 (Hyperthreaded)

Logical Processor to Socket Map:
****************  Socket 0

Logical Processor to NUMA Node Map:
****************  NUMA Node 0

No NUMA nodes.

Logical Processor to Cache Map:
**--------------  Data Cache          0, Level 1,   32 KB, Assoc   8, LineSize  64
**--------------  Instruction Cache   0, Level 1,   64 KB, Assoc   4, LineSize  64
**--------------  Unified Cache       0, Level 2,  512 KB, Assoc   8, LineSize  64
********--------  Unified Cache       1, Level 3,    8 MB, Assoc  16, LineSize  64
--**------------  Data Cache          1, Level 1,   32 KB, Assoc   8, LineSize  64
--**------------  Instruction Cache   1, Level 1,   64 KB, Assoc   4, LineSize  64
--**------------  Unified Cache       2, Level 2,  512 KB, Assoc   8, LineSize  64
----**----------  Data Cache          2, Level 1,   32 KB, Assoc   8, LineSize  64
----**----------  Instruction Cache   2, Level 1,   64 KB, Assoc   4, LineSize  64
----**----------  Unified Cache       3, Level 2,  512 KB, Assoc   8, LineSize  64
------**--------  Data Cache          3, Level 1,   32 KB, Assoc   8, LineSize  64
------**--------  Instruction Cache   3, Level 1,   64 KB, Assoc   4, LineSize  64
------**--------  Unified Cache       4, Level 2,  512 KB, Assoc   8, LineSize  64
--------**------  Data Cache          4, Level 1,   32 KB, Assoc   8, LineSize  64
--------**------  Instruction Cache   4, Level 1,   64 KB, Assoc   4, LineSize  64
--------**------  Unified Cache       5, Level 2,  512 KB, Assoc   8, LineSize  64
--------********  Unified Cache       6, Level 3,    8 MB, Assoc  16, LineSize  64
----------**----  Data Cache          5, Level 1,   32 KB, Assoc   8, LineSize  64
----------**----  Instruction Cache   5, Level 1,   64 KB, Assoc   4, LineSize  64
----------**----  Unified Cache       7, Level 2,  512 KB, Assoc   8, LineSize  64
------------**--  Data Cache          6, Level 1,   32 KB, Assoc   8, LineSize  64
------------**--  Instruction Cache   6, Level 1,   64 KB, Assoc   4, LineSize  64
------------**--  Unified Cache       8, Level 2,  512 KB, Assoc   8, LineSize  64
--------------**  Data Cache          7, Level 1,   32 KB, Assoc   8, LineSize  64
--------------**  Instruction Cache   7, Level 1,   64 KB, Assoc   4, LineSize  64
--------------**  Unified Cache       9, Level 2,  512 KB, Assoc   8, LineSize  64

Logical Processor to Group Map:
****************  Group 0
Though shouldn't it be 2* NUMA Nodes to prevent threads bouncing across between CCXes? :unsure:

I dunno, associating with murderous/psycho robots seems like an odd idea o_O
Though, I guess not all of them are.

Maybe those models are just Intel processor models :runaway:

I dunno, associating with murderous/psycho robots seems like an odd idea o_O
Though, I guess not all of them are.

Maybe those models are just Intel processor models :runaway:
Frankly this is one of the best marketing placement in a high profile movie that any tech company can hope for. Props to AMD for securing it IMO.

https://meetwalter.com/

IYyNbod.jpg

I really have no idea what was the meaning I just don't get it.

AMD could secure a place in Esport maybe even getting a team that could make much more sales since that is actually the biggest market for ryzen outside pro. world.

I really have no idea what was the meaning I just don't get it.

AMD could secure a place in Esport maybe even getting a team that could make much more sales since that is actually the biggest market for ryzen outside pro. world.
This 10x Bigger than some niche E-Sport branding and will reach for more people worldwide. Intel's consumer/marketing aura is partially build with the help of that simple splash screen logo & Jiggle that comes up after every single PC/Notebook/Surface TV add shown on TV worldwide. This is Intel's biggest marketing coup ever. They have mandated that every product featuring one of their CPU has to have their animated logo and jingle shown at the end of it (or simply their logo when on paper ads). BTW Intel also sponsors E-Sports teams (just like AMD already does btw) and even have their own gigantic tournament like the Intel Extreme Masters and this is definitely not what boosts their sale in any meaningful way (even I only learned about it 2 days ago).

Today's cover story on Adage
SXSW: Ridley Scott's 'Alien: Covenant' Teams With AMD on Beautiful, Eerie Branded Content Film

This 10x Bigger than some niche E-Sport branding and will reach for more people worldwide. Intel's consumer/marketing aura is partially build with the help of that simple splash screen logo & Jiggle that comes up after every single PC/Notebook/Surface TV add shown on TV worldwide. This is Intel's biggest marketing coup ever. They have mandated that every product featuring one of their CPU has to have their animated logo and jingle shown at the end of it (or simply their logo when on paper ads). BTW Intel also sponsors E-Sports teams (just like AMD already does btw) and even have their own gigantic tournament like the Intel Extreme Masters and this is definitely not what boosts their sale in any meaningful way (even I only learned about it 2 days ago).

Today's cover story on Adage
SXSW: Ridley Scott's 'Alien: Covenant' Teams With AMD on Beautiful, Eerie Branded Content Film
IEM is very popular and everyone who watches E-sports knows about it, they also make offer of gaming PC and hardware there.

MY point is simple: Ur adds are useless if they don't target a users than can potentially buys ur product. AMD targeted the esports market for ryzen but a tinny logo in a random team wont do anything to boost their sales in that market. In esports like any other sport you sale by making the pros use ur products and right now 99.9% of pros use Intel and Nvidia(I dont say 100% because maybe someone somewhere uses AMD who knows...) so when ppl look at their streams or ask them its always the same answer: Intel/Nvidia. AMD can't make its own tournament yet but buying a team(or "sponsor" one(place ur name before the teams name like companies do in korea) is a good way to start and tell the hundreds of millions of user that you exist) It would also be cheaper than that demo who is mostly useless outside some random alien fan who likes to read.

Back