Middle Generation Console Upgrade Discussion [Scorpio, 4Pro]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would people really be upset if $449 Xbox Scorpio was something like this but with a Zen/Vega 6TF APU and 8GB GDDR5?

CS1702G0009_aw_steam_machine_2_pdp_pol_mag_module_02.jpg

Project Scorpio will deliver enhanced Xbox graphics to 1080p TVs (exclusive):

http://www.windowscentral.com/project-scorpio-supersampling-for-1080p-tvs

when Project Scorpio launches, it will come with Shader Model 6 (SM6)

...games that sport True 4K assets will also enjoy graphics enhancements on 1080p displays, thanks to the console's supersampling technology...For games that have 4K updates on Project Scorpio, 1080p sets will see improved image quality, because the otherwise wasted resolution will be used to provide smoother edges and shadows.

We can confirm that Project Scorpio will come with a 4K Blu-ray player

We also received reliable information that Project Scorpio will see a sizeable lineup of its games, both first and third-party, hit a True 4K resolution

Last edited:
That's some worthless clickbait stuff right there...there's nothing new in there but then again dude's been talking out of his backside worth a while now.. move on ladies and gentlemen..nothing to see..
Most of it isn't...but confirmation of 4K Blu-Ray drive is something.

Also that "sizeable lineup of its games, both first and third-party, hit a True 4K resolution"...is surprising to me as I expected nearly nothing to hit actual 4K resolution... other than maybe Forza...

edit: also it sounds like a game with a Scorpio version will use the "4K assests(textures?)" even when downsampling on a 1080p display?? not sure if I am understanding it right...

Last edited:

Also that "sizeable lineup of its games, both first and third-party, hit a True 4K resolution"...is surprising to me as I expected nearly nothing to hit actual 4K resolution... other than maybe Forza...

edit: also it sounds like a game with a Scorpio version will use the "4K assests(textures?)" even when downsampling on a 1080p display?? not sure if I am understanding it right...
Only thing relevant in that 4K BluRay -drive is the fact that it confirms that there's optical drive to begin with. I mean, Xbox One S has 4K BluRay, only way Scorpio wouldn't have one would be not having optical drive at all

From the article:
First of all, when Project Scorpio launches, it will come with Shader Model 6 (SM6) and shader compiler improvements, not only for Scorpio, but for existing Xbox One models as well. SM6 is an API for creating shading, and the new version should bump up efficiency across the board, saving developers time and system resources.
:???:
Some inaccuracies / asterisks in here.

Frankly I wouldn't even take the 4k BR player confirmation at face value (it's just common sense that Scorpio will have one if the S already does)
WindowsCentral/Wpcentral has been totally out of the loop in terms of insider info for a while now (I'm talking nearly 2years now). Their latest "scoop" was the Lumia 950/XL specs (which they "borrowed" from Chinese leakers on Weibo and added their twist to it: like the XL being compatible with the Surface Pen which was totally ridiculous at the time...and obviously turned out to be wrong).
They also don't have anybody in their staff that has a clue about GPUs, CPU etc..most of their "findings" regarding Windows 10/XBox for example come from folks like @h0x0d on twitter who literally spends his entire life digging through Microsoft's servers, tools, apps, patent applications to find stuff.

Frankly I wouldn't even take the 4k BR player confirmation at face value (it's just common sense that Scorpio will have one if the S already does)
WindowsCentral/Wpcentral has been totally out of the loop in terms of insider info for a while now (I'm talking nearly 2years now). Their latest "scoop" was the Lumia 950/XL specs (which they "borrowed" from Chinese leakers on Weibo and added their twist to it: like the XL being compatible with the Surface Pen which was totally ridiculous at the time...and obviously turned out to be wrong).
They also don't have anybody in their staff that has a clue about GPUs, CPU etc..most of their "findings" regarding Windows 10/XBox for example come from folks like @h0x0d on twitter who literally spends his entire life digging through Microsoft's servers, tools, apps, patent applications to find stuff.

yeah...I was following his twitter account and while he did overhype he also stated he had no info on specs...so I personally wasn't expecting anything related to cpu/gpu.

Right, it is common sense that Scorpio would have 4K Blu-Ray drive but I have also seen an interview where Phil Spencer hesitated when asked if Scorpio would have a 4K blu-ray drive.

Either way the biggest thing for me is this:
We also received reliable information that Project Scorpio will see a sizeable lineup of its games, both first and third-party, hit a True 4K resolution for owners of compatible TVs and monitors.
If true it's kinda big...at least for me. Especially the third-party thing.

Last edited:
yeah...I was following his twitter account and while he did overhype he also stated he had no info on specs...so I personally wasn't expecting anything related to cpu/gpu.

Right, it is common sense that Scorpio would have 4K Blu-Ray drive but I have also seen an interview where Phil Spencer hesitated when asked if Scorpio would have a 4K blu-ray.

Either way the biggest thing for me is this: If true it's kinda big...at least for me. Especially the third-party thing.
True 4K is IMO frankly meaningless now with these consoles (and the fact that your relatively far from the TV unlike PC Gaming) when you see the quality of the newest checker-boarding techniques (see Dice's GDC17 presentation on this). Obviously some will hit native 4K like The Division on PS4Pro with last week's patch.

Either way the biggest thing for me is this: If true it's kinda big...at least for me. Especially the third-party thing.
If they target full 4K, they are wasting a big chunk of the GPU power available. This is ridiculous. Why not use checkerboard and use the additional cycles to improve shaders quality, lighting, shadows, more redraw distance, etc...

True 4K is IMO frankly meaningless now with these consoles (and the fact that your relatively far from the TV unlike PC Gaming) when you see the quality of the newest checker-boarding techniques (see Dice's GDC17 presentation on this). Obviously some will hit native 4K like The Division on PS4Pro with last week's patch.

I play on a Monitor so it is a factor to me...

Obviously some will hit native 4K like The Division on PS4Pro with last week's patch.

Division on Pro isn't really native 4k I believe several pixel counting people have confirmed. Just 4K HUD. So AFAIK there still isn't a single native 4k PS4 Pro "triple A" game.

For Scorpio if it really is at 6TF and not bumped past that, and FWIW Phil did mention 6TF on a podcast recently, then checkerboard-ish is the way to go. Scorpio could likely do native 4k in a good number of ports, but it doesn't leave much grunt for other graphical enhancements which is what we all want out of a new console. 2k-ish will look great anyway, it's a matter of diminishing returns. Hell I got a retropi and I play some emulated NES and SNES games, what are those being blown up from?

Division on Pro isn't really native 4k I believe several pixel counting people have confirmed. Just 4K HUD. So AFAIK there still isn't a single native 4k PS4 Pro "triple A" game.

For Scorpio if it really is at 6TF and not bumped past that, and FWIW Phil did mention 6TF on a podcast recently, then checkerboard-ish is the way to go. Scorpio could likely do native 4k in a good number of ports, but it doesn't leave much grunt for other graphical enhancements which is what we all want out of a new console. 2k-ish will look great anyway, it's a matter of diminishing returns. Hell I got a retropi and I play some emulated NES and SNES games, what are those being blown up from?

This article mentions "True 4K" not "Native 4K"...it's a matter of semantics but it could mean checkerboard 2160p...

Would people really be upset if $449 Xbox Scorpio was something like this but with a Zen/Vega 6TF APU and 8GB GDDR5?

CS1702G0009_aw_steam_machine_2_pdp_pol_mag_module_02.jpg
I'm not so sure about the Zen CPU part (I hope its true), but I think the system will ship with 12gb of gddr5 and not 8gb.

I think they see that memory size and bandwidth is extremely important in hitting high resolutions in textures and pixels. The last thing they would want is to be bandwidth bound.

2160p native (or otherwise) downsampled to 1080p would be gorgeous on a 1080p display, but I doubt most people would notice in the living rooms at typical living room TV viewing distances. Up close, however, it'd be glorious. That said, if I had a choice between 2160p downscaled to 1080p at 30 FPS or native 1080p at 60 FPS, I'd go for the 1080p at 60 FPS. A benefit even in the living room, would be phenomenal AA depending on how the image is downscaled.

Boosting the graphics IQ at 1080p would certainly be nice, but I'd much prefer universal 60 FPS at 1080p.

Regards,
SB

If they target full 4K, they are wasting a big chunk of the GPU power available. This is ridiculous. Why not use checkerboard and use the additional cycles to improve shaders quality, lighting, shadows, more redraw distance, etc...

Or just some AF?

I wonder if this is part novelty or marketing push?

Hopefully this is already released titles easily dropping a 4k patch as per the initial information, i.e. its designed to run Xbox one games at 4k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back