PlayStation 4 firmware updates (and Betas)

Yes, back and forth as much as you like and minimum size is 250GB. The only downside I've found is that whilst plugged in it seems to be the default HDD so anything you download goes to the external (I assume once full it would then go to internal?). Also worth noting it's just for games, all video/picture saves (etc) still use internal HDD.

That's surprising considering other system lets you specify what the default installation drive is.

That's surprising considering other system lets you specify what the default installation drive is.

Well it was just beta v2 I was on, so the full version may be different - or that may happen in future updates, it's just nice to have the option.

Also worth mentioning it wouldn't let me install on both (say you left your external HDD somewhere) - actually there may be a work around - delete the icon form your PS4 and re-download.
Isn't that an anti-piracy measure? Though I would have thought they'd somehow tie the external install to a profile or even online.

How does MS or Nintendo (WiiU) implement it :?:

Isn't that an anti-piracy measure? Though I would have thought they'd somehow tie the external install to a profile or even online.

How does MS implement it :?:

For purposes of this discussion, this refers to Digital Download games and not Physical Media install games...

For MS the external drive can be moved to any console as it performs a license check. AFAIK the files are not magically encrypted or paired. The purchaser's license extends to their account and to the "home console", so everyone else can play the game on the purchaser's home console.

Caveats: There might be some inherent license information contained in the downloaded files but it should not prevent others from making use of the same download/installs.

I think the following is allowed and functions fine: User A purchases the game on Console A, downloads/installs it to external hard drive A, takes the hard drive to Console B for and as long as User A is signed in everyone else can play the game on Console B using User A's license. If User A signs out, then other users on Console B can only play the game if they too have bought the game at some point.

For example:
User AlNom buys Xbox One S to be Console A.
User BRiT buys Xbox One to be Console B.
User BRiT buys Gears of War 4 and installs it on Hard Drive B on Console B.
User AlNom buys Gears of War 4 via Microsoft Store and installs it on PC.
User BRiT sends Hard Drive B to AlNom.
User AlNom plugs in Hard Drive B to Console A and can play Gears of War 4 without any additional installs.

But for goonergaz's case, is he trying to install it onto the external, then removing the external, then trying to install/download it on the local HDD?

But for goonergaz's case, is he trying to install it onto the external, then removing the external, then trying to install/download it on the local HDD?

The game default downloads/installs to external. If I remove the external the console says 'plug in external to play this game' - my HDD corrupted and I lost access to lots of games with no ability to re-install/download. I was panicking but then found out if I deleted the icon from the PS4 I could then reinstall/download.

It's a bit weird, this came to light because I went digital on Horizon, I had installed on the external HDD (without realising) but removed the HDD because I needed the port - then I downloaded the digital version which was fine until I went to plug the HDD back in and the PS4 picked up the game in 2 locations and insisted I deleted from one location. I chose external but the console seemed stuck in a loop so I had to remove the external and delete locally, plug external back in, delete and then re-download.

It's locked to account, so if I take the external anywhere I can play my games - ideal for what I'm using it for, my PSVR games - stops my internal being clogged up.

Does the external HDD need to be self powered or is one powered by usb good to go?
Any tests how fast or slow the external is compared to internal, also would there be any advantage by using a 7200 rpm external drive?

Does the external HDD need to be self powered or is one powered by usb good to go?
Any tests how fast or slow the external is compared to internal, also would there be any advantage by using a 7200 rpm external drive?

I've not tried testing speeds, I can however confirm that mine works via just 1 USB into the PS4.

Also, the spec says needs to be USB3 IIRC

Sony says:
"The HDD will now be the default download location as long as it’s plugged in; you can select the PS4’s internal storage instead on the ‘Storage’ section in Settings."
so it sounds like initially the external hdd is the default location but you can change that in the settings.

Sony says:
"The HDD will now be the default download location as long as it’s plugged in; you can select the PS4’s internal storage instead on the ‘Storage’ section in Settings."

This still feels counter-intuitive but I assume the logic is that you added the storage for a reason. It'd be preferable for it to just ask where to install it when scheduling the download.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I think that's the reason why it defaults to external. If it kept the internal hdd default, there would be people who would be confused why the PS4 still says not enough storage, even though they just added the extenal hdd.
I think it makes more sense as it is, from customer support viewpoint at least.

It should default to internal if there's room and external if not, although I guess the fact they've made the external for games only means they want to preserve space on the internal for other stuff.

What if Ihave put games to the external hdd (like P.T.), and would like to replace the internal hdd. Will the external hdd and games be useable in my upgraded PS4 without reformatting and reinstalling?
So in effect, would I not need to use the backup and transfer system option any more if I want to replace the internal hdd and keep P.T. , just put the games in the external while I replace the internal.

What if Ihave put games to the external hdd (like P.T.), and would like to replace the internal hdd. Will the external hdd and games be useable in my upgraded PS4 without reformatting and reinstalling?
So in effect, would I not need to use the backup and transfer system option any more if I want to replace the internal hdd and keep P.T. , just put the games in the external while I replace the internal.

I wouldn't like to say for certain, but if I an take my HDD anywhere then why not?

Logically (not actually, I've not tested this) it should be fine. The HDD is encrypted a to key unique to the PS4 so changing the internal HDD should make no difference. It'll require the new HDD to formatted but the external HDD should be fine as it's also encrypted using the same unique PS4 key

I don't know how Sony plans on making it work, but I hope they make it work as well as MS has. MS lets you take the external HDD to any system and it'll work fine.

Back