When will 4K, HDR, DP1.4 monitors be available ?

Gelanin

Newcomer
Currently i run 3 Dell 24" 1920x1200 monitors, where the oldest ones are 10+ years old, and while they still work i'm looking at replacing them all. Probably going with two 4K monitors.

Does anyone know when there will be monitors available with the following ?

- 24-28" size
- 4k resolution (UHD)
- HDR
- Displayport 1.4
- Freesync (Dont like G-Sync due to the vendor lock-in.)

Preferrably i'd like to have very thin side-edges aswell, because i run multiple monitors.

LG 32UD99 should be released in a couple of months, I think. It is 4K, HDR10 and has Freesync (40-60Hz). A little bit larger than 28" (31.5") and doesn't have DP1.4, so for HDR you would need to use the HDMI 2.0a port. The bezels seem relatively thin on the pictures, but who knows.

LG 32UD99 should be released in a couple of months, I think. It is 4K, HDR10 and has Freesync (40-60Hz). A little bit larger than 28" (31.5") and doesn't have DP1.4, so for HDR you would need to use the HDMI 2.0a port. The bezels seem relatively thin on the pictures, but who knows.

I did actually look a bit at the LG 32UD99, but i so far i have not found anyone that actually has one available (In Norway). And the lack of DP1.4 makes me a little bit concerned, since most gfx-cards comes with multiple DP ports, but only 1 HDMI port, and since i want 2 or possibly 3 monitors, that could be an issue.

Well, there are actually multiple video cards that offer 2x HDMI 2.0b outputs, but if you need more than two displays HDMI is a no-go.

I have a 28" 4k monito. Due to windows 10 not fully supporting high DPI (mac OS has better support, though I assume you use windows), 28" is too small for 4k. I would look for 32" minimum but ideally 40"

when you go 4k or maybe qhd ultrawide will you still need 2 monitors ?
I use 3 today, and wouldnt mind having more, so pretty sure i'll go with 2 atleast. I often game on 1 screen, while i have browsers and stuff on the other monitors.

I have a 28" 4k monito. Due to windows 10 not fully supporting high DPI (mac OS has better support, though I assume you use windows), 28" is too small for 4k. I would look for 32" minimum but ideally 40"
Hmm, interesting info ... but 40" is way to big for my current desk atleast ... but 32" might be possible, though my initial thought was 27-28"

Hmm, interesting info ... but 40" is way to big for my current desk atleast ... but 32" might be possible, though my initial thought was 27-28"
I'm regretting getting a 28" monitor to be honest, I went from 24" (1920x1200) -> 4k 28" thinking that 28" would be big enuf, but now I realize it aint (and yes I have scaling set to 150%), I also have my 24" normal DPI monitor on the desk next to the highDPI 28" one and honestly with some things the high DPI looks worse. If you can I would definitely recommend 32" over 28"

Freesync over HDMI is also a very, very new feature.

It may or may not be supported (or be one of the things that work properly with firmware and driver updates)

why not game on 3 ?
Honestly i dont know 100% why i dont. I think it's a combination of too-wide side-frame on my current monitor(s), and simply that i like having access to my web-browsers etc. Also i guess it depends abit on what kind of games you play. For me it's been mostly primarily MMO/Strategy/etc, and not so many FPS games. I did try 3-monitor gaming when it first came out, but there was some issues back then, so just went back to normal setup and didnt look at it again :)

Strategies could benefit from having more of the map visible, but racing/flight/space sims is where triple monitor really shines

Could do like me and just get a 49" 4K display. :D Not an option if you want HiDPI, but my eyes are getting old and the lower PPI of this setup is most welcome.

It basically allowed me to go from a 3 monitor setup (1200x1920, 2560x1600, and a 1920x1200 touch screen) to just 2 monitors (1600x2560, 3840x2160). I do miss the touch screen monitor however, but it was taking up an inordinate amount of deskspace (angled almost flat between the keyboard and 30" monitor). However, I do love all the screen real estate combined with less monitors. I may eventually get a monitor arm and re-incorporate it into my setup. Having a touch screen available was nice at times.

I originally thought I could do with just the 49" monitor, but I've found that just like HDD storage space, once you have more of it, you find ways to use more of it. :p

Regards,
SB

I wouldn't buy the LG. I don't know how it got the HDR10 certification, it only have 95% of P3 and even the max brightness is half of the Dolby Vision(1000) while HDR10 uses 10k nits(and IDK what that "peak" and "typical" really means. It has no contrast number either.

If you want to buy an HDR display wait and buy one really worth the HDR hype and price.

I wouldn't buy the LG. I don't know how it got the HDR10 certification, it only have 95% of P3 and even the max brightness is half of the Dolby Vision(1000) while HDR10 uses 10k nits(and IDK what that "peak" and "typical" really means. It has no contrast number either.

If you want to buy an HDR display wait and buy one really worth the HDR hype and price.
IIRC it's the other way around, HDR10 is the more lenient standard (and it's what's on my Sony 43-XBR800D). P.S. Interesting article here (four standards now?): http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/5/14180456/hdr-formats-hdr10-dolby-vision-hlg-advanced-ces-2017

Back