Unscheduled Maintenance - Wednesday 8th March 2017 @ 14.30 GMT

Rys

Graphics @ AMD
Veteran
Supporter
Late last night my time (GMT), the virtual machine hosting the software that provides the forum search functionality ran out of disk space. For the last year and a half, whenever a snapshot backup of the data in the search system was created, it was never deleted after it stopped being useful. Snapshots are small, but their number caused the system to eventually run out of disk.

To fix it, I've freed up a small amount of disk space to give it some breathing room in the short term (realistically it'd take a couple of months to use it up, but I'd like to fix it all now), and then I'll do the following:

• Add a new volume (enough to let the system grow at its current rate for another ~10 years) to the VM
  • Extend the logical volume onto it
  • Add monitoring to the entire cluster to notify me of low disk space events in the future, so I'm forewarned
  • Prune old snapshots periodically
To add the new volume and do the logical extension part will need a reboot of the VM. The forums themselves won't go down at the same time, but post and search functionality will be degraded for a few minutes while that happens, because every post and search made interacts with the search system.

It should all be mostly transparent. I'll go ahead and do the first two steps now, to get it out of the way.

The reboot the VM to attach the volume part is done. There shouldn't be any other user visible consequences.

The logical volume extension part is now done. Sorry about the disruption!

Back