Horizon Zero Dawn [PS4, PC]

The shell walker can one shot me with one of its ground attacks. That makes for a very short fight ;) I understood what you were saying back then but like I said I do not concur. and longer health bars wont be the only change, I am sure, and longer health bars doesn't translate "only" into a longer fight. A longer fight is more demanding by its very nature anyways. A longer health bar also means a bigger beast by its simple definition and implication. What is a boss fight? Like you said a linger fight requires a longer engagement of concentration and survival anyways.

I tested Normal/Difficulty for an hour at a couple of levels and the only difference I could discern was robots seemed to have more health. Aloy's damage output was constant (according to the weapon stat screen) and while it's possible that elemental resistances were also tweaked but that wasn't apparent and would be difficult to measure.

Also you get lesser number of resources on hard mode, couple that with the longer health bars for enemies and shorter for you and each fight starts carrying weight. Managing with lesser resources isn't prolonging a fight, its making sure you make lesser mistakes and make most creative use of what u have.

I understand but I don't want to have to overly manage resources. Resources are not scarce, you go to a resource and press Triangle to harvest it. The game knows that harvesting resources isn't fun for many people which is why there are distinct talents to mitigate this - a talent for harvesting more items from a resource, a talent for producing more ammunition given the same number of resources and a talent for picking up and re-using laid traps and tripcast wires.

Of course if you're somebody who likes this aspect, I can see how this would appeal. But for me - I do too much resource management IRL.

Also, I was talking about the experience of being in a fight against a unflinching unforgiving metal beast with lesser weapons. It was the same for TLOU, the experience of survival in a hostile world , for me, just didnt happen on the super easy normal mode with the see through the wallls ability. See-through-walls is inherent in Horizon !

Well we've debated this before too! :yes: I felt that harder difficulty levels in TLOU force the player into playing what is mostly a stealth game whereas I enjoyed the combat in TLOU. Sometimes, I like some stealthy combat too but I like a variety of play in a game. HZD is definitely better than TLOU in that the difficulty does not make you play differently at harder levels but it's only harder if you struggle on Normal. I don't struggle on normal but Normal respects my limited gaming time - I'm 47 hours in at this point and as much as I'm enjoying the game I am getting gameplay fatigue and would like to complete the story today. I have have been skeptical about the premise of HZD but the story and learning about what happened has been really good!

We should both be happy that we each play the game at a level that satisfies us. :yes:

Holy mother of ROFL! So I saw this huge machine with guns, it was called the Deathbringer.

That thing is crazily susceptible to shock weapons. It dropped so fast when I let lose using a shock modded Shadow Rattler then took out just two of its exposed power cores.

But you will meet this guy again under less favourable circumstances! :runaway:

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol I just met him in the other circumstances. :D
None of the elements or traps really worked for me. In the end I ripped off his weapons one by one using those purple arrows and then took off weak parts using hard arrows. Tried all traps including shock wires but ...
i hope he comes again so that I can try shock again. Didn't get the required result from what I tried...hmm.

Sent from my SM-N920G using Tapatalk

How do you see how many hours spent in the game ? Stats screen doesn't seem to show it.

Also how do u guys search up the old posts so well? I am always amazed by that. I can never find an old post I made. Some secret sauce I am missing ?

Longlegs. Every big new machine feels tough the first time: Sawtooth, Longleg, Ravager, Snapmaw, Thunderjaw, then you level up, use the right tactic, mod your weapon and bring them down faster in subsequent battles :)

Nah, it was a Stormbird! The longlegs are pretty easy to take down, just avoid the blast from their chest thngy when you destroy it. It has a massive AoE. Took out my first Behemoth last night as well. All my weapons are now Shadow version so they all have three types of ammo with sticky bombs being my favourite!

BTW, maybe I should take a break cos I played a bit last night and I was seriously getting impatient and that led to getting overwhelmed by enemies at every turn.

But then all i can think of is getting back into the game and doing some story missions.
Also Hunting logde girl wants me to take down that stormbird and a Thunderjaw which gives me the heebie jeebeis ! I really do want to take that stormbird down, that filthy piece of bullying machinery :mad:.

Stormbirds are very, very hard. They just don't die!

i just sold my smartphone for 150 USD so im ready for Horizon Zero dawn! yeeeeeeah!!!

now deciding to buy physical or digital.

@RenegadeRocks

does the disc version have lots of bugs that potentilly can be exploited to explore blocked-off/disabled areas?
I got stuck in the ground once...other than that haven't really been able to break out of the map or anything.
I really hope they make dlc expansions for this. I would want end game weapon and armour to go on after the game ends.

On that note : does the game let u roam after the end of story? They said there is no new game + but can I go redmaw hunting after finishing the story?

Nah, it was a Stormbird! The longlegs are pretty easy to take down, just avoid the blast from their chest thngy when you destroy it. It has a massive AoE. Took out my first Behemoth last night as well. All my weapons are now Shadow version so they all have three types of ammo with sticky bombs being my favourite!
Sticky bombs ??? Man and I thought I knew the game! Where do u get that ?

Lol I just met him in the other circumstances. :D None of the elements or traps really worked for me. In the end I ripped off his weapons one by one using those purple arrows and then took off weak parts using hard arrows. Tried all traps including shock wires but ...

I reckon the sling with shock ammo could decimate the Deathbringer real quick if you could get close enough. The Tear and Hardpoint arrow combo is working well for me on most things for me. I also have a Hardpoint arrow notched and switch out if I need me. It's my go too for roboslaughter(tm).

The only arrows I'm not using much are Harvest. I've never run out of a resource enough that I've felt compelled to chip the off robots.

Stormbirds are very, very hard. They just don't die!
Lure them down then ground them using the ropecaster. If you need an extra boost, prepare a 'nest' of traps and wires where you intend to ground it. :yes:

Sticky bombs ??? Man and I thought I knew the game! Where do u get that ?

When I went exploring to unlock all the Tallneck's I discoverd a settlement populated by
Shadow Carja
which I don't think I was supposed to get too yet. The journey to it is very hard, so many horrible dinosaurs (the tunneling things are just arrgh!). But there is a merchant there who sells all the weapons you can get incluing the Shadow gear. From there it was a quick fast travel back to meridian to buy all the trading ingredients and now I have a full arsenal.

I think it tells you when you do a manual save.
Yup it does. I am 32 hours in according to that. I always wonder if games record the time of retries or not. Cos TLOU said 24 hours when I was done with the game but I spent 4 waking days in it and died a lot.

Back to playing....too many side quests to mop up and newer ones keep popping up.

Back to playing....too many side quests to mop up and newer ones keep popping up.

The game really starts throwing things at you in the missions. :yes:

Also I'm really digging the story. It's difficult to come up with something new but this is a new story to me. The game has now explained quite a lot about the world but there are a few questions left and many more robots to destroy.

Some of the situational problems the main quest takes you on. Like, you know this is an ambush, so let's see if I can out-ambush the ambushers. :yes:

The Ancient Armour is completely insane, giving a regenerating shield that absorbs a ton of damage. :runaway:

edit: Just tested it on a Watcher. It could not drain the shield faster than it regenerates. lol. Could have used this thing at level 1. :yep2:

edit 2: no, it can, it just takes a couple of minutes. It reminds me of the Spartans of old!

The Ancient Armour is completely insane, giving a regenerating shield that absorbs a ton of damage. :runaway:

edit: Just tested it on a Watcher. It could not drain the shield faster than it regenerates. lol. Could have used this thing at level 1. :yep2:

edit 2: no, it can, it just takes a couple of minutes. It reminds me of the Spartans of old!

That's my next quest :)

And... finished! I thoroughly :love::love::love: Horizon Zero Dawn. :yes:

60 hours, 4 hours. A few quests and errands skipped. Level 37 going into the final battle, level 40 coming out!

Jaap van Muijden describes the GPU based procedural placement system that dynamically creates the world of Horizon Zero Dawn around the player. Not limited to just rocks and trees, the procedural system assembles fully-fledged environments while the player walks through them, complete with sounds, effects, wildlife and game-play elements. Van Muijden shows the entire pipeline, from the graph editor where artists can define the procedural placement rules to the GPU algorithms that create a dense world around the player on the fly. He demonstrates the power of this procedural approach by showing how painting in a tree line and redirecting roads can be just as easy as moving mountains and changing a desert into a tropical swamp.

https://www.guerrilla-games.com/read/gpu-based-procedural-placement-in-horizon-zero-dawn

https://www.guerrilla-games.com/read/creating-a-tools-pipeline-for-horizon-zero-dawn

https://www.guerrilla-games.com/rea...hanics-in-the-vast-world-of-horizon-zero-dawn

Back