Horizon: Zero Dawn - Graphics de-Gushing

This is another good one about the fog
horizonzerodawn_2017037jyy.jpg

few technical things I don't like though:
when you see the light reflection of the sun or the moon even if it's located behind the mountains, the same for god rays going through mountains when it's behind.
That's not just horizon, lots of games have these.
Nothing game breaking, just nipticking, but i can't wait to play the ps5 remaster ^^

The clouds look kinda low res. Weird in such a great looking game.

They have to be low res, according to the presentation if they would render the clouds at full res every frame with the technique they were using they would take 20ms alone, to get clouds like these on a Ps4 in real time you need to make some sacrifices
horizonzerodawn_20170bjk7o.png

They explain how they got the clouds to render from 20ms cost down to 2ms (that was 2 years ago)

clouds are low res water anyway.

there's an update downloading, 1.03, wonder what it does.

Fixes the tod transitions now they are a lot slower, seems like they set a set pace for how the tod is progressing. It was something I would point out as a negative but they've fixed it so there's that. Haven't seen the weather change to see if that's slower too.

They have to be low res, according to the presentation if they would render the clouds at full res every frame with the technique they were using they would take 20ms alone, to get clouds like these on a Ps4 in real time you need to make some sacrifices
horizonzerodawn_20170bjk7o.png

They explain how they got the clouds to render from 20ms cost down to 2ms (that was 2 years ago)
That is pretty damn impressive!

Plant casting shadows onto itself (Uncharted 4 anyone?)
horizonzerodawn_20170ywjau.jpg

ssr on wooden surface
horizonzerodawn_20170c8jw3.jpg

A dramatic night time shot of Aloys eyes, I liked how they look here
horizonzerodawn_2017080j3m.png

There is also an interesting way shadows are rendered in this game. Shadows cast from anything but Aloy produce a soft and diffused look while Aloy herself casts a sharp, high res shadow, so much so that even thin lines like the bowstring produces little jagged edges. I've never seen this method of shadow rendering in other games so far.

This part in the jungle at night looked incredible
horizonzerodawn_20170p9jld.png

I'm guessing the trade-off for not having physics interaction with every piece of foliage on screen was having such dense forests and vegetation, which I'm totally fine with.

Last edited:
The lod distance of the machines is just incredible. You can see them in the distance miles away! The animations aren't running at half refresh rate like most games do after a set distance as well. Just one example:

horizonzerodawn_20170pekks.jpg

Try and spot it :D

Last edited:
The lod of the machines is just incredible. You can see machines in the distance miles away. The animations aren't running at half refresh rate like most games do after a set distance as well. Just one example:

horizonzerodawn_20170pekks.jpg

Try and spot it :D

StormBird or glinthawk :) Same for Thunderjaws

Incredible shots guys, keep them coming. I do wonder what GG's next project would be tho and how much a new killzone would improve from Shadowfall.

The material shaders are the best I've seen in an open world game (that I've played)
33266723496_36d4d64a54_o.png

33151968762_eac6b48e7c_o.png

I can see something and immediately tell what it's made from.

Back